Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Year of the Dumpling (TYOTD). The saga begins.

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Not sure is everyone is seeing the same thing but I’m getting new comment notification when I am the last comment. It always makes me think I forgot to close out one of
    my dormant troll accounts and I’m answering myself lol. 
    It does that to me too. Just started a couple of days ago. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Swmbo made dough and simple pork+onion+cabbage filling. I weighed and rolled out 14.5g dough balls on manual pasta machine, prefer this method over rolling out whole sheet and punching circles and re kneading scraps. Steamed and pan fried on Lodge. No chili oil, made do with leftover shoyu egg marinade + sriracha.

Vac sealed many steamed ones to freeze.

Love this!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    edited March 2020
    Quiz for @nolaegghead, what's unusual about my freezer bag 😉
    canuckland
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    The most remarkable thing is that you had any left to freeze. Great work!
    Stillwater, MN
  • Canugghead
    5StillH2OEgger said:
    The most remarkable thing is that you had any left to freeze. Great work!
    Just did a quick count, we made 89. Old folks like us have small appetite 😊

canuckland
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Wonder if a tortilla press would work.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Canugghead
    Wonder if a tortilla press would work.
    may be worth a try
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Solid, Gary! 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    These are one of my favorite dumplings and yours look incredible. Have an extra bedroom you are looking to start a BNB?
    Greensboro, NC
  • And I got this from the kids: 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Those (and everything else) look amazing.

Here's how dumb I am: I always wondered how they got the soup in the dumpling.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • dmchicago said:
    Those (and everything else) look amazing.

Here's how dumb I am: I always wondered how they got the soup in the dumpling.

We had to look it up a few years ago when this obsession began. It’s a cool
    little trick. 
  • Wolfpack said:
    These are one of my favorite dumplings and yours look incredible. Have an extra bedroom you are looking to start a BNB?
    These were sooooo good. Definitely on par with any We have had anywhere. So happy with how these turned out. 
  • Canugghead
    Looking forward to more inspirational cooks from that book.
    canuckland
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Those look fan-dam-tastic. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    Love this thread 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Killer cook @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Y'all have often impressed in the past... but goddaaaamn!! Outfrikkinstanding!!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    really cool - I never stopped to consider "how" the soup got in the dumplings !
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Sometimes I wish you would strive for simple cooks that I could attempt.  This is one of those times, it all looks fantastic.  I’ve never had these, I need to find a local place that has them.
  • NDG said:
    really cool - I never stopped to consider "how" the soup got in the dumplings !

Right? it's a fun little trick. Once you learn that part, the rest is pretty much just making dumplings. The pleating is the hardest part and once you get the hang of it, it's really not a big deal. These are very much worth the effort.
  • Legume said:
    Sometimes I wish you would strive for simple cooks that I could attempt.  This is one of those times, it all looks fantastic.  I’ve never had these, I need to find a local place that has them.

They are typically a "brunch only" type item served at Dim Sum places. A lot of the places that do them here only have them Saturday and Sunday as part of a brunch menu. I'm sure there are some places around you that have them but they may not be on the every day menu.
  • SciAggie
    The gelatin you made looks superb. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie said:
    The gelatin you made looks superb. 
    The gelatin that Janell made was excellent. Made from clarified Pho broth that took 2 days to make. 
  • SciAggie
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker Well tell Janell her gelatin looks like it was well worth the effort.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Canugghead
    Cheating...previously frozen

canuckland
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    That looks awesome!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Cheating...previously frozen

It's not cheating if you made them the first time :)