Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Year of the Dumpling (TYOTD). The saga begins.

Options
124»

Comments

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Nicely done - thanks for sharing!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited September 2020
    Options
    TYOTD: Research Addition

we had some amazing dim sum for lunch today. Only got one pic because we did t know it was going to be so extraordinary. One we took the first bite, it was on after that. Amazing soup dumplings, egg roll, beef dumping (pictured), and veggie dumpling. This was the best dim sum we have ever had, including San Francisco or anywhere else. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice! Haven't scratched the dim sum itch for way too long.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    caliking said:
    Man you better see a doctor about that itch. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • northGAcock
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Man that looks killa. 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    caliking said:
    Man you better see a doctor about that itch. 
    Great.  Now he's going to think he needs to scope himself again...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    Options
    Off. The. Chain. 

Those look fvckin’ AWESOME!!

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Woah!!!!!!!   Yes please!!  Dude, I would mess that I up so bad!!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    Off. The. Chain. 

I had zero to do with these other than eating them. They were freaking awesome. Thanks for the chutney help.  It came out fantastic. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker as you well know, Better to be lucky than good especially right there.  TFJ nailed 'em.  Livin large in 2021!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
  • caliking
    Options
    caliking said:
    Off. The. Chain. 

I had zero to do with these other than eating them. They were freaking awesome. Thanks for the chutney help.  It came out fantastic. 
    Glad it turned out. I have moar chutney secrets. The stuff in the stores and restaurants is shite. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    Off. The. Chain. 

Glad it turned out. I have moar chutney secrets. The stuff in the stores and restaurants is shite. 
    Agreed. So much better than any I have ever had. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    Off. The. Chain. 

Chutney thread please.
    NOLA
  • northGAcock
    Options
    I tuned in thinking there was gonna be a year in review (original topic mind you).....Expected a summery of the related cooks over the year. What TF you learned? Where you plan to take it in 2021? What was the high and lows............sh!t I need to retire. 

• CPARKTX2
    CPARKTX2 Posts: 222
    Options
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I tuned in thinking there was gonna be a year in review (original topic mind you).....Expected a summery of the related cooks over the year. What TF you learned? Where you plan to take it in 2021? What was the high and lows............sh!t I need to retire. 
    Still learning but here is where are as of today:

dough is still a work in progress. Good but not great. I think we are actually getting it too thin. 

Best thing I learned so far in this process: homemade chili oil is the sh!t. Homemade sriracha might even be better. Not it’s not. But maybe? It’s close and learning how to make both has been a blast. 

Making soup dumplings is the most fun, challenging, and rewarding 

the samosas were just as fun and every bit as delicious as the more traditional Chinese style. 

More to come. Much to learn but well worth the effort.   
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Those look very good!

It has been nearly 2 years since I have been to China.  I miss dumplings like that!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • caliking
    Options

dough is still a work in progress. Good but not great. I think we are actually getting it too thin. 

Best thing I learned so far in this process: homemade chili oil is the sh!t. Homemade sriracha might even be better. Not it’s not. But maybe? It’s close and learning how to make both has been a blast. 

the samosas were just as fun and every bit as delicious as the more traditional Chinese style. 

Dude... let me go on record saying that that chili oil is WAY mo' bettah than the chili crisp stuff that's been all the rage recently.

• northGAcock
    Options

Carry on...following.

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    getting super low, I need to make another batch of Joshua Weissman Chili Oil,.  The flavor really grew on me . . great thing to gift as well.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    Collected ingredients but still haven't gotten around to make chilli oil yet :) Meanwhile decided to try this approx 50:50 mix. Tried it on fresh made steamed-fried dumpling, not too shabby; the chili oil, black beans and umami'ish crab paste played well together.

canuckland
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    maybe it has been mentioned here, but I was binge watching some cooking shows last night.  Eat the World with Emeril Lagasse - Episode 2 is all about finding the best dumpling in Shanghai  These places are cranking out 16 - 40,000 dumplings a day.  The "slow" dumpling chefs can make one in 10 seconds while the fast ones can make them in 5-8 seconds.  :-)

Give it a watch if you have time!  @The Cen-Tex Smoker

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • caliking
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Collected ingredients but still haven't gotten around to make chilli oil yet :) Meanwhile decided to try this approx 50:50 mix. Tried it on fresh made steamed-fried dumpling, not too shabby; the chili oil, black beans and umami'ish crab paste played well together.

Missed this, somehow. That sounds delicious!

I've been wanting to play around with shrimp paste, and didn't know that crab paste was a thing. Adding it to my grocery list :)