Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are you cooking on Father's Day?

YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,984
I am doing prime rib on the XL. Going to smoke it with pecan. Dinner for 10.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Ribeyes as always. Pretty sure my Dad would be disappointed if I changed the menu. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    I will be traveling so it depends on what will reheat. Also what’s on sale tomorrow evening. Not enough hours on Friday to do a pork butt but ribs sound good and were loved the previous time. Peach ribs?
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Pizza. Margherita pizza and BBQ pizza. We’ll have oven roasted shishito peppers, roasted oysters, and maybe patatas bravas for appetizers. An as yet undetermined combination of beer, wine, and cocktails will be enjoyed. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • DocObbins
    DocObbins Posts: 28
    Ribs tomorrow for my son’s birthday, the last ones I did were his favorite.
    Sunday will be a bacon wrapped pork tenderloin with Maple Syrup, recently posted here by another. 
    Too much pork?.....nah
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    I have some Duroc baby back ribs coming in from Creekstone.  Looking forward to it!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Taking my dad to his favorite Coffee Shop,that's what he likes, that's what we will do
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    I’ll be traveling, so likely not cooking anything, but will get either arroz con pollo or chicken tikka from our local takeout spots, depending on the mood of the family.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Gonna have me some poke ribs off of my son in laws Egg. Cheers to all you fathers.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Zippylip said:
    the old man is a traditionalist, he requires burgers & Italian sausage on the kettle over Kingsford blue, potato salad, macaroni salad, baked beans, potato chips & ice cold Miller High Life, preferably in pony bottle form but long necks will be tolerated.  Been working since the 60's & there's no reason to change a lick of it =) 
    Man, that sounds like a GREAT menu!! My dad passed in 1988, but he would've loved it! So would I!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Zippylip said:
    the old man is a traditionalist, he requires burgers & Italian sausage on the kettle over Kingsford blue, potato salad, macaroni salad, baked beans, potato chips & ice cold Miller High Life, preferably in pony bottle form but long necks will be tolerated.  Been working since the 60's & there's no reason to change a lick of it =)

Those ponies are the best.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    I picked up a brisket, pork ribs and beef ribs at the butcher Tuesday so either ribs or brisket................ maybe I'll do all 3 - just have to see

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    i am thinking i want wings therefore probably wings.  i am the head chef and bottle washer at my house so it on me to cook for my fathers day.  it might be our first day without rain so its gonna be alot of yard work to i feel like.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Gulfcoastguy
    Yep, the request is for ribs. I better go shopping now as they tend to sell out near the weekend. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Pulled beef bbq (chuckie) slaw and beans. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Legume
    No idea.  Ribs for sure either Sat or Sunday.  Probably wings the other.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Freezer diving.  Have so much good frozen meat that I need to cook.  Might make stuffed burgers with wagyu/angus ground beef - or homemade sausage - or there's a pork tenderloin...

And does anyone have a good suggestion for a "Pike's Peak Roast"?  Is that just "round steak"?  Cook it to 125-130 and slice?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Legume
    Foghorn said:
    Freezer diving.  Have so much good frozen meat that I need to cook.  Might make stuffed burgers with wagyu/angus ground beef - or homemade sausage - or there's a pork tenderloin...

And does anyone have a good suggestion for a "Pike's Peak Roast"?  Is that just "round steak"?  Cook it to 125-130 and slice?
    Sounds like you need to go hot and fast.  Hot, dry and cracked at the bottom, cold and wet at the top.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @Foghorn You and your mystery meat, lol. I’m staying out of this one. 
    No I’m not...
    Let me just put out there that you can braise most anything and put it in a tortilla. You can batter and fry most things. 
    (Just having fun with ya)
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Three racks of St Louis ribs acquired. I guess I am going to see if that rig with the oval stone can cook three at one time. I got some peach spread also I might try mixing some in with bbq sauce fir a finish glaze.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    So, @Legume and @SciAggie, you guys got at the crux of my internal debate.  I think I'd rather have a taco/sandwich with braised meat than slices of relatively tough/lean sandwich meat.  I've got two of them.  Maybe I'll do one each way...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Zippylip said:
    Man, that sounds like a GREAT menu!! My dad passed in 1988, but he would've loved it! So would I!

Legume said:
    Zippylip said:

Those ponies are the best.
    It really is a great menu, & the ponies rule!  Funny thing is it started with my grandfathers, both were from Italy & were a real pain in the ass with the dego food & wine pretty much every day & at all holidays, not that that's a bad thing the food being phenomenal & all but when the few summertime holidays rolled around out came the ponies & 'Medigan' food.  I can still see those old greaseballs cooking this stuff & washing it all down with the High Life, and watermelon :).

I'm more than happy to carry on that fine tradition till I'm outa here...
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,456
    Zippylip said:

Only way to light Kingsford for traditionalists - lighter fluid 😀
    canuckland
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Foghorn said:

I searched "Pike's Pete Roast", found these links:
    Pike's Peak Roast
    HTH
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Nothing special. Don't celebrate this day anymore, as my own dad is gone, and my daughter has never had any interest. 'Mother's Day' is also a dirty word around here. Currently avoiding answering calls from the jailhouse, as we are fed up. Eff it, I think I'll cook that pork tenderloin!

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,039
    Cooking a butt, because that Is my is little girls favorite and she is coming in town to see her dad.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    I have to figure it out still.  I suck at planning.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Smash burgers ! And naturally cold beer.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    MJG said:
    Ribeyes as always. Pretty sure my Dad would be disappointed if I changed the menu. 
    Got a system that works stay with it. Very hard to beat ribeyes at any occasion.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky