Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,659
    just watched a cringing video of a star total ankle replacement, brother goes in next week for the left then september for the right. that does not look good. was supposed to go in april but this virus pushed it til june
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Acn said:
    Acn said:

Figured I should close the loop and show the after photos...

How'd you know I was waiting for that? Looks really tasty. Thanks for sharing!! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited May 2020
    Where would you go about buying steel (aluminum?) poles like these? I'd like to build a shade like this over an area of my garden but not sure what exactly I'm looking for. Flag poles? Standard galv pipe then weld on the accessories?  It also looks like there's a threaded end at the bottom for possibly taking the poles down. That would be idea. 

I'm assuming standard chain-link fence type posts are too thin and not rigid enough to pull a tarp shade taught without flexing? I'd like to shoot for 9-10' high.  

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    edited May 2020
    2 inch schedule 40 (sch40) pipe in aluminum or galvey. the galvey will eventually rust so there will be painting.  drill a hole on the top end for s hooks. i have a tree swallow house on a painted galvy pipe threaded on the bottom with a shorter pipe threaded with a full coupling so i can take it down easily to clean out. the short pipe is permanent in the ground
    fukahwee maine

• SonVolt
    2 inch schedule 40 (sch40) pipe in aluminum or galvey. the galvey will eventually rust so there will be painting.  drill a hole on the top end for s hooks. i have a tree swallow house on a painted galvy pipe threaded on the bottom with a shorter pipe threaded with a full coupling so i can take it down easily to clean out. the short pipe is permanent in the ground

Awesome - thank you. Where's a good place to buy 2" schedule 40 pipe? Lowe's?
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    plumbing and heating supply house for the galvy, for the aluminum any place that sells aluminum plate would have the pipe and will cut to size. stock sizes are usually 20 foot so plan things out. never looked for pipe in the box store and not sure they will have big enough lengths but maybe
    fukahwee maine

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Acn said:
    Acn said:

Thanks!  I've had much better luck getting whole chickens rather than parts from InstaCart, and SWMBO Jr wanted mashed potatoes, so it had to be done in the pan so we could make gravy while the chicken rested and I carved.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Finally painting this wall for my much better half and now time for the other side 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    You could also weld or drill and bolt a stub of smaller pipe inside the removable part, then it just drops into the buried section.
  • Acn

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited May 2020
    SonVolt said:

Awesome - thank you. Where's a good place to buy 2" schedule 40 pipe? Lowe's?
    I couldn't even find 1.5" steel tubing this past weekend at Lowes or Home Depot 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,164
    @SciAggie - you can move up the "an" ladder beverage-wise...  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @lousubcap Yes sir. I’m on it. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,164
    I am having a healthy (Covid-19) self-debate (extreme precautions...) about staying in LEO (sorry about the Space Ex no shot-but less traffic) or transitioning to escape velocity.  However, this brief moment of clarity has focused my thoughts...LEO for the win as Thursday is National Brisket Day.  Don't need to roll-in completely hosed in the AM.   =)
    Be healthy and be safe.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    just watched a cringing video of a star total ankle replacement, brother goes in next week for the left then september for the right. that does not look good. was supposed to go in april but this virus pushed it til june
    My BIL is a foot and ankle surgeon- these are getting fairly commonplace and typically have very positive results. Hope it goes well and pass along our best wishes. 

Greensboro, NC
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Acn said:
    Acn said:
    Acn said:

Thanks!  I've had much better luck getting whole chickens rather than parts from InstaCart, and SWMBO Jr wanted mashed potatoes, so it had to be done in the pan so we could make gravy while the chicken rested and I carved.
    I'm in a rut of spatchcocking whole birds and was looking for an easy alternative. This looks like the ticket. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    Getting ready for the sear. Summer is here. 102 at 7 P.M.

Las Vegas, NV

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    Chain link fence top rail @SonVolt
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Acn
    Acn said:
    Acn said:
    Acn said:

I'm in a rut of spatchcocking whole birds and was looking for an easy alternative. This looks like the ticket. 
    Glad to help!  I definitely forget sometimes how good a basic roast chicken is.  Stuff with a quartered lemon and some herbs from the backyard boxes (rosemary, thyme, and tarragon here), salted and peppered and cooked until done!

Had chicken salad for lunch yesterday, and the carcass is in the freezer, waiting until we have a few in there and the time and inclination to make stock.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    And it’s nuked.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    And it’s nuked.
    The real disco will happen tomorrow night.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    And it’s nuked.
    Just as I had typed out a fairly lengthy response to one of your questions. I did copy and paste it over to your profile thing.
    Las Vegas, NV

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    And it’s nuked.
    Just as I had typed out a fairly lengthy response to one of your questions. I did copy and paste it over to your profile thing.
    Thanks man - I appreciate that.  Glad we were able to capture it somewhere.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    I had one too, but I'll spare you the Malcolm X schtick.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• SonVolt
    edited May 2020
    How much difference does it make....