Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gauntlet... thrown!! Bring out ALL of your cookers!!

Options

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    @SciAggie @EzraBrooks Thanks for the kind words, check out @paqman 's post and you'll see what real buns should look like :)  I'd love to try that some day.
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2513415#Comment_2513415

I took the easy way by following this recipe in my bread machine handbook, the full dough cycle takes 1:40, dough is ready for shaping after additional 15 min rest. I made 10 buns.

Your buns look tasty!  You just need egg wash to help the sesame seeds stick to the buns.

edited May 2020
    Options
    paqman said:
    @SciAggie @EzraBrooks Thanks for the kind words, check out @paqman 's post and you'll see what real buns should look like :)  I'd love to try that some day.
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2513415#Comment_2513415

I took the easy way by following this recipe in my bread machine handbook, the full dough cycle takes 1:40, dough is ready for shaping after additional 15 min rest. I made 10 buns.

Your buns look tasty!  You just need egg wash to help the sesame seeds stick to the buns.
    Thanks for the tip. Thought about egg wash but took short cut and used margarine instead  :)  (omitted butter due to someone's allergy to dairy)

Edit: I just looked at the bun photo again, actually we didn't lose much (if any) sesame seeds, we applied very sparingly.
    canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    Glad to see this thread resurface.  There are some golden nuggets in here!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Late to the BS game, impulse bought one at end of summer clearance last year. Used it for fried rice and fried noodles few times in the garage during winter. Just tried some simple smashed burgers, seasoned with S,P & Red Boat 40N fish sauce. Condiments include smoked cheddar, home made cowboy candy and garden lettuce. Served on ho hum bread machine buns.

So easy, probably won't make burgers the old way again.

It’s taking me a while to move past that last pic. That’s a fabulous looking burger! Homemade buns definitely elevate burgers. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Another stab at Romertopf one pot meal in the kitchen box. The trussing butcher twine came in handy when lifting the bird out for cutting.  Afraid to do this in the egg since the soaked Romertopf has to start in a cold oven to prevent thermal shock.

That meal looks really good - even though it looks like you cooked it in something you picked up from the “personal waste collection devices” department of a hospital supply store. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    @cazzy your $hitty pies look amazing  =)
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @Foghorn Thanks, you reminded me of an old British joke that I vaguely recall. It goes something like this ... A bloke went to a wrong store looking for bedpan, when the storekeeper told him to try Boots he goes 'I did but they leaked'  =)
    canuckland
  • caliking
    Options
    @Canugghead romertopf really does the trick for chicken. Nice color on that bird. 

What other things have you cooked in it? You’re again tempting me to get one =)

• Canugghead
    Options
    Ashish, I have not tried other dishes yet, thanks for the question which got me thinking outside the bird. I googled around and found other possibilities, here's one of many hits:
    https://www.pinterest.ca/mlcupp72/romertopf-recipes/  
    Mine is totally unglazed, bought on impulse at a thrift store. Some folks prefer pot with ceramic coating inside for ease of cleaning but I didn't find it difficult to clean. Trick is to rest the bird on bed of veg, also surround with veg, to avoid contact between skin and pot.
    canuckland
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    I had to say no really hard when I saw that pot. I have plenty of gadgets that I don’t use. Maybe after I read a clay pot cook book?
  • caliking
    Options
    @smak the crabs stole the show 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I’ve been craving some fresh seafood. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Didn't post up but Thurs and Friday night I pounded a few char-grilled oysters ( no "r" in May ) after the "system" saw fit to send them to fly-over country.  On again next weekend after the NBD (National Brisket Day, May 28) banquet.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @Foghorn I hope mine turn out half as good tomorrow. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @Foghorn - great finish right there. Congrats.
    I will be playing with the stick burner Monday, cranking out some chix for the local firehouse.  (Eyeing the weather as it is sketchy right now and that rig is fully weather exposed).
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @Foghorn I hope mine turn out half as good tomorrow. 
    Lookin' good, Fog.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Thanks @caliking, @lousubcap, @SciAggie.  

The ribs were quite good, but like many competition recipes they just use the rib meat to soak up sugar and fat - so the real pork flavor gets somewhat lost.  I cook them that way from time to time for fun but at this point, for most cooks, I prefer just putting on a good rub and then maybe (maybe not) a little sauce at the end.

However, yesterday we had another couple over for dinner and the husband is a trained chef.  He and I had previously talked about how the competition teams cook and he wanted to get an idea of the outcome.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SciAggie
    Options
    @SmokeGirl Great looking table of food right there. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Smoking some ribs on the vault.   

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @Foghorn @cazzy I’m looking at the ribs y’all cooked and thinking about the last few spares I’ve cooked. 
    Why do you get pull back on some and not on others? It seems the ribs I’ve cooked on my offset running at about 225-250 seldom show pullback. When I cook on the egg it usually settles at around 275 and I seem to get pull back. 
    I really can’t tell any difference in taste or texture to speak of. 
    Just wondering if y’all (or anyone else) has any observations to share. 
    I’m just making conversation and trying to learn something. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Not my cook (beyond bringing the sausage), but I was witness to another box being ticked.

@The Cen-Tex Smoker commented that @caliking has cookers that even @caliking doesn’t know about. Apparently, this old Lodge tailgater is one of those, unearthed among the shelves of Kettles. 

It was putatively a handoff of the H-town crew’s share of prosciutto, meeting at a quiet spot in La Grange (a hea hea hea hea).  It turned out to be a perfect spot for a quarantine cookout...just us and the cows.

The masalawurst and beef merguez were from AW/SS6, and were served on homemade buns. I think someone else has the table shot. 

Great time had by all. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @20stone @caliking Awe man! Great cook. You have no idea how many times I slap my own wrist and say, “You don’t need to buy a Lodge cooker.”
    Those things are just cool. 
    In other news - I can’t wait for this COVID situation to resolve itself so we can have a get - together. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @20stone @caliking Awe man! Great cook. You have no idea how many times I slap my own wrist and say, “You don’t need to buy a Lodge cooker.”
    Those things are just cool. 
    In other news - I can’t wait for this COVID situation to resolve itself so we can have a get - together. 
    I had never seen one before, and it is very, very cool.  I was surprised how effective the damper was at regulating temp as well. 

As for getting together, I’m with you.

That being said, this was a testament to two eggers (and their families) getting together over meat and lump while maintaining hygiene and distance. We found the right spot, and stayed masked (while not eating) and spread out.  
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX