Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Will You Be Egging During the Coronapocalypse?

Options

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,528
    Options
    @thetrim Celery seed for the ring??  She's a beaut right there.  Nailed the bark as well. Congrats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,987
    edited April 2020
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    Foghorn said:
    "* please constrain suggestions to how it should be cooked, not about the chef's mode of attire during the cook, optimal incantations & chants to accompany the cook, best improvised dance moves and 'free jazz' to harmonise with the cook, or, about any once in a lifetime investment opportunities. 
    Thank you."

I thought you Brits were supposed to be fun...

I've never cooked a pork belly so I've got nothing for you within the very limited scope that you are allowing.  It's a real shame because the only thing I'm pretty sure about is that if I were going to cook this I'd plan to wear the jersey of my favorite soccer team so as to optimize the chances of a good outcome.  Pants are optional.  You're welcome.
    Because I like you @Foghorn I have dressed as requested.  This doesn't mean I am your plaything.   Further requests might require wine. 

I am sure you will be thrilled to see that I am observing strict corona-rules and using the only know substance impervious to the virus,  other than @nolaegghead at 0300hrs.  

Couple of bits of admin while I'm on;
    1) Football not soccer
    2) Shirt not jersey
    3) Pants on, as are my shorts.   I selected today's pair from the 'weekend, recreational' side of undergarment drawer B.   Since you asked, yes - I follow the standard convention;  Drawer A; formal & business  Drawer B; informal & recreational  Drawer C; seasonal & 'humorous'.    I am not a savage. 
    4) football kit,  not uniform - I know you didn't say that, but just FYI.
    I really do know how to win friends, right? 

Yes, I am now 2 months overdue a haircut.  I waited too long, should have clipped sooner.  Now look like Ron Burgundy.
    I think we won the right to decide what things are called after the Surrender at Yorktown in 1781 pal. 😉
    Ha!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,328
    Options
    Well I have a turkey defrosting which should be ready late in the week. I will probably spatchcock this one. I might use that new Wonderbird rub that I got last week from Dizzy Pig. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,366
    Options
    @lousubcap and @dmw I cannot tell a lie.  That was a brisket from Snow's BBQ in Lexington, TX.  My brother sent a care package from there and this brisket was part of it. All I did was sink it in the SV for a little while.

I was hoping to get you going on a "You can't get a smoke ring like that on a green egg" rant similar to yours on Friday night.

Cheers gentlemen.  This was really good.  He also sent some jalapeno sausage, rubs, and a pork steak.  I'll report back as I get those going.

I am doing a spatchcock chicken, some legs, and some asparagus tonight.

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,870
    Options
    @CPFC1905 and @Eoin, the brits are really bringing it today. 

I like the kit. And I know the proper football terminology. I just wanted everybody else to understand.  😀

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,373
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    CPFC1905 said:
    Foghorn said:
    "* please constrain suggestions to how it should be cooked, not about the chef's mode of attire during the cook, optimal incantations & chants to accompany the cook, best improvised dance moves and 'free jazz' to harmonise with the cook, or, about any once in a lifetime investment opportunities. 
    Thank you."

I've never cooked a pork belly so I've got nothing for you within the very limited scope that you are allowing.  It's a real shame because the only thing I'm pretty sure about is that if I were going to cook this I'd plan to wear the jersey of my favorite soccer team so as to optimize the chances of a good outcome.  Pants are optional.  You're welcome.
    Because I like you @Foghorn I have dressed as requested.  This doesn't mean I am your plaything.   Further requests might require wine. 

I am sure you will be thrilled to see that I am observing strict corona-rules and using the only know substance impervious to the virus,  other than @nolaegghead at 0300hrs.  

1) Football not soccer
    2) Shirt not jersey
    3) Pants on, as are my shorts.   I selected today's pair from the 'weekend, recreational' side of undergarment drawer B.   Since you asked, yes - I follow the standard convention;  Drawer A; formal & business  Drawer B; informal & recreational  Drawer C; seasonal & 'humorous'.    I am not a savage. 

Yes, I am now 2 months overdue a haircut.  I waited too long, should have clipped sooner.  Now look like Ron Burgundy.
    I think we won the right to decide what things are called after the Surrender at Yorktown in 1781 pal. 😉
    I get it. You’re a young country finding your feet and all that. It’s ok to push the boundaries a bit, we all did it.  

But just remember - we have deployed Agent Harry (& Megan),  they can be activated at any time.  
    Maybe, just maybe, Megan was part 1 of Phase II of the American Revolution. Break the monarchy.
    Las Vegas, NV

• CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options

First time doing ABTs in too long. Thick cut bacon unraveled a bit but it made its destination. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,366
    Options

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    Options
    thetrim said:
    @lousubcap and @dmw I cannot tell a lie.  That was a brisket from Snow's BBQ in Lexington, TX.  My brother sent a care package from there and this brisket was part of it. All I did was sink it in the SV for a little while.

I was hoping to get you going on a "You can't get a smoke ring like that on a green egg" rant similar to yours on Friday night.

Cheers gentlemen.  This was really good.  He also sent some jalapeno sausage, rubs, and a pork steak.  I'll report back as I get those going.

I am doing a spatchcock chicken, some legs, and some asparagus tonight.

Fronting up is never a doubt with those who have sworn the oath.  No worries, I am taking up the BGE ring challenge (I likely don't have a chance) this Saturday as it would be Derby Day around here.
    BTW - During my brisket bender last June I did spend a few minutes talking with Tootsie at Snow's before getting to spend some time with her pit masters.  That was one he!! of a road-trip.  
    You should continue to tap that source.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Since I was messing about with a Creekstone Farms prime 24 oz ribeye this evening and needed a caveman fix, here you go-

Running on the SBGE til the high 115's*F.  
    Then into the pit (LBGE):

Trust me, I'm there-poor pics -no surprises!
    But I finished well!

I thought I was focused...Thanks for lookin'.
    Stay healthy, stay safe.

Great looking effort, right there. Have still(!!) yet to do a caveman. 

I feel like your ability to focus will improve exponentially once cameras become equipped standard with stabilizers to counter the brown water. 🙂
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,104
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Since I was messing about with a Creekstone Farms prime 24 oz ribeye this evening and needed a caveman fix, here you go-

Running on the SBGE til the high 115's*F.  
    Then into the pit (LBGE):

Trust me, I'm there-poor pics -no surprises!
    But I finished well!

I thought I was focused...Thanks for lookin'.
    Stay healthy, stay safe.

I also like burning flesh on hot coals......I am envious!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I did a butt for pulled pork about a month ago. Then spent 4 weeks in quarantine with covid-19 (one of the first confirmed cases in my zip code). I just got out of quarantine and the first thing I cooked was N.Y. strips on the egg. 

Back when I bought that butt, I also bought a 3lb corned beef brisket flat. Not really sure why. Now that I’m back, I plan to soak it in water for 24h (changing it a few times) and try turning it into pastrami. Never done this before. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Given where you are from where you just left, then time to treat yourself in the most enjoyable fashion.
    Spare nothing and enjoy.  Congrats on being here on the "other side".  
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    njl said:
    I did a butt for pulled pork about a month ago. Then spent 4 weeks in quarantine with covid-19 (one of the first confirmed cases in my zip code). I just got out of quarantine and the first thing I cooked was N.Y. strips on the egg. 

Back when I bought that butt, I also bought a 3lb corned beef brisket flat. Not really sure why. Now that I’m back, I plan to soak it in water for 24h (changing it a few times) and try turning it into pastrami. Never done this before. 
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/05/beef-pastrami.html?m=1

If you don’t have a plan yet, this is a great one.  Pressure or steam to finish is the best if you can swing it.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    CPFC1905 said:
    Foghorn said:
    Thank you."

1) Football not soccer
    2) Shirt not jersey

I get it. You’re a young country finding your feet and all that. It’s ok to push the boundaries a bit, we all did it.  

But just remember - we have deployed Agent Harry (& Megan),  they can be activated at any time.  
    Maybe, just maybe, Megan was part 1 of Phase II of the American Revolution. Break the monarchy.
    Since Megan and Harry left, we have been subjected to an onslaught of publicity from the Will / Kate faction desperate to prove the relevance of the whole royal concept. They're clinging on.
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,877
    Options
    Eoin said:

Since Megan and Harry left, we have been subjected to an onslaught of publicity from the Will / Kate faction desperate to prove the relevance of the whole royal concept. They're clinging on.
    Steady on old boy,  you're letting that Gallic influence from your mother's side stir your republicanism.    =)
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    Eoin said:

Steady on old boy,  you're letting that Gallic influence from your mother's side stir your republicanism.    =)

Maybe that's the source ....... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Revolution

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Loaded burgers tonight-

Greensboro, NC
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,271
    Options
    Read that as smoked a blunt.
    Mountain View, CA