Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please Stay Home

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    While driving to work this morning, the radio show I was listening to stated that according to a study from Massachusetts, the average age of deaths due to Covid 19 is 81 in that state.  They also stated that the death rate is .1%.  That is point one percent.  They believe that the virus has been here for a while.  The flu has the same death rate with a vaccine.  I have not verified this but wanted to share.  I’m not excited about anyone’s death, but this report gives us more hope.  
    So... given the current number of deaths in NYC that have been attributed to this, in order for that 0.1% number to be valid, you would have to assume that the *entire* population of NYC had been infected.  

That seems... highly unlikely to me, to put it mildly.  

Right.  Population of NY state is around 19M.  0.1% is one in a thousand.  14,500 died in NY State.  Multiply that by 1000 and that's 14.5M people having to be infected.  Data does not show this.

People look for hopeful outcomes and mine data and studies for results that support their hopefulness.  I get that. 

Realistically speaking, there are people who have studied this their whole lives.  Let's please just defer to the best information we have in the "now".  The virus, the science, the numbers....all should drive the policy.
    Options
    While driving to work this morning, the radio show I was listening to stated that according to a study from Massachusetts, the average age of deaths due to Covid 19 is 81 in that state.  They also stated that the death rate is .1%.  That is point one percent.  They believe that the virus has been here for a while.  The flu has the same death rate with a vaccine.  I have not verified this but wanted to share.  I’m not excited about anyone’s death, but this report gives us more hope.  
    So... given the current number of deaths in NYC that have been attributed to this, in order for that 0.1% number to be valid, you would have to assume that the *entire* population of NYC had been infected.  

it was about mass nursing facilities where the age of 81 comes up and its scary numbers. a third of the facilities in mass have more than 30 cases of covid 19. they tested one home near me, 53 cases with 107 in the home, 6 died in 3 days last week, no idea what the count is right now as they just aint reporting

Nursing, assisted living, retirement homes, etc, ALL are now required to report suspected COVID-19 deaths to the CDC. 

Why this wasn't done before blows my mind.  The CDC is there to understand and mitigate disease.
    Options

it was about mass nursing facilities where the age of 81 comes up and its scary numbers. a third of the facilities in mass have more than 30 cases of covid 19. they tested one home near me, 53 cases with 107 in the home, 6 died in 3 days last week, no idea what the count is right now as they just aint reporting

Nursing, assisted living, retirement homes, etc, ALL are now required to report suspected COVID-19 deaths to the CDC. 

Why this wasn't done before blows my mind.  The CDC is there to understand and mitigate disease.

it should not have been...dont visit grandma in the nursing home...should have been...GET GRANDMA OUT OF THE NURSING HOME.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    Options

it should not have been...dont visit grandma in the nursing home...should have been...GET GRANDMA OUT OF THE NURSING HOME.
    That's easy to say now.  A certain Orange guy was saying we had everything under control, don't worry, will be gone soon while at the same time WHO, CDC, NIH, etc were sounding alarm bells.

"SEE YOU IN HEAVEN, GRANDMA!"

Options

That's easy to say now.  A certain Orange guy was saying we had everything under control, don't worry, will be gone soon while at the same time WHO, CDC, NIH, etc were sounding alarm bells.

grandma just has to hold on for 8 more days and all will be good
    fukahwee maine

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    I’m very confident that our Governor volunteered Georgia to be Trump’s guinea pig in regards to easing restrictions. He didn’t bother talking to mayors or even his own Coronavirus task force. Kemp is so far up Trump’s ass it’s pathetic. 

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/georgia/members-state-coronavirus-task-force-not-notified-decision-start-reopening-state/C436N464ZBAXNGO27XXT2N4HQM/
  • nolaegghead
    Options

Wrong Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016 - Find  Share on GIPHY

I think you meant the amount of time to get a vaccine.  More like 12-18 months.  That's if we ever get a good vaccine.  We (humanity) have never successfully made a coronavirus vaccine of any type, ever before.

The problem is analogous to making a vaccine that keeps Staphylococcus aureus from infecting your skin.  Lungs are barriers that keep disease from entering the body.  A strong immune response is necessary for a vaccine, but too strong and the vaccine will exacerbate the effects of the virus and kill you.

Options
    I’m very confident that our Governor volunteered Georgia to be Trump’s guinea pig in regards to easing restrictions. He didn’t bother talking to mayors or even his own Coronavirus task force. Kemp is so far up Trump’s ass it’s pathetic. 

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/georgia/members-state-coronavirus-task-force-not-notified-decision-start-reopening-state/C436N464ZBAXNGO27XXT2N4HQM/

Trump really just cares about Trump.  He's pathologically narcissistic and incapable of true empathy.
    Options

Wrong Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016 - Find  Share on GIPHY

I think you meant the amount of time to get a vaccine.  More like 12-18 months.  That's if we ever get a good vaccine.  We (humanity) have never successfully made a coronavirus vaccine of any type, ever before.

The problem is analogous to making a vaccine that keeps Staphylococcus aureus from infecting your skin.  Lungs are barriers that keep disease from entering the body.  A strong immune response is necessary for a vaccine, but too strong and the vaccine will exacerbate the effects of the virus and kill you.

nola, i was kidding albeit a sick joke =)
    fukahwee maine

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/trump-aides-explore-ways-get-frustrated-president-out-washington-n1189591

The president himself said he hopes to be back at rallies soon and predicted “they’re going to be bigger than ever” during a recent coronavirus briefing, just days after saying his sole goal was to make “the country better” and arguing he didn’t “care about campaigning.”

On Friday, Trump said rallies are “an important part of politics” and implied he wasn’t a fan of spaced-out seating requirements, like the ones currently established in the White House briefing room as a health precaution.

“It loses a lot of flavor” when people are sitting with empty seats between them, the president said.

Yeah, but...ah..fu&k it. Go ahead.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    everyone going to a Trump rally will be given a dose of hydroxychloroquine upon entry so everyone will be fine.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    fukahwee maine

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited April 2020
    Options
    everyone going to a Trump rally will be given a dose of hydroxychloroquine upon entry so everyone will be fine.
    Well...parasite free for sure. They will have that going for them.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • nolaegghead
    Options

Most of that conflict-related starvation is old news.  Trump has already cut funding to the UN by around a quarter billion after it criticized him for moving the US consulate to Jerusalem.
    Options

Most of that conflict-related starvation is old news.  Trump has already cut funding to the UN by around a quarter billion after it criticized him for moving the US consulate to Jerusalem.

https://www.newsweek.com/united-nations-donald-trump-nikki-haley-jerusalem-funding-758849

Options

this virus will pick up the pace.  heard this morning that the meat processing plants that closed is going to back up the hog production to the point they may even start just burying the hogs to get them out of the chain of feed. hope they come up with a better solution than that
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    Options

this virus will pick up the pace.  heard this morning that the meat processing plants that closed is going to back up the hog production to the point they may even start just burying the hogs to get them out of the chain of feed. hope they come up with a better solution than that

No doubt, that would be a sad waste.  I don't think we'll starve here in the US.  The number of hungry here will go up and we'll face shortages of certain items, but we have enough food overall to survive if it's distributed properly.

I would really like to see the US step up and help the efforts to feed the rest of the world, but we're really just not that country anymore.
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    South Dakota Smithfield Meats Plan

Interesting read.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52311877
    no words
    I’ve got words... I wonder why the article never mentions that Smithfield is a Chinese owned company although they felt the need to tell the readers that the plant was in a Republican controlled State. 
    Just this morning, SD's guv'nor was still refusing to close the plant... but Smithfield HQ did.  fwiw  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited April 2020
    Options

I spoke with a friend this morning that's a nurse in ICU and works where needed. She says the hospitals she's worked at this week around Atlanta are half empty.

I'm reserving judgement until this plays out a bit further. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • nolaegghead
    Options

I spoke with a friend this morning that's a nurse in ICU and works where needed. She says the hospitals she's worked at this week around Atlanta are half empty.

So hospitals have many units.  Elective surgery has been suspended.  So most hospitals are not "full" in the classical sense.  The ICUs, where the sickest patients end up, those in vents, are a fraction of the total beds in a typical hospital.  These are filled up in Atlanta.  They have extra capacity at the convention center set up.  There are limited vents, that kind of limits the amount of acute respiratory care they can provide.  The hospital system there is ranked poorly according to the information below.  The governor is going to decrease personal distancing.  What could possibly go wrong?  Please, reserve judgement, we need this experiment to see what happens, I guess.

Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Yikes. We'll take the placebo. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,948
    Options
    Some more clips of that interview between Cooper and the Mayor of Las Vegas are here:

https://digg.com/2020/las-vegas-mayor-anderson-cooper-interview-cnn

Wow.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Hey - it's a gambler's town.  Simply incomprehensible, but the stupid will return.

I think she wants to be the study group.  The control group is gonna stay the hell away.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    The more I read this kind of stuff makes me thankful that I have a little bit of brainpower and a whole lot of common sense...Yikes
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Let's take a gamble I won't kill 1% of our 2.3 million citizens!  I mean, that's like only half of the dead from the Vietnam war, right?
    Options
    The more I read this thread, it amazes me how so many of you can cook  as well as you do, and at the same time be a complete doofus. Your hatred of our President has your collective heads so far up your ass, you'll never have to worry about China virus, as you never take in a breath of fresh air. Yes, some have died. Yes, more will die. But this fear and panic ya'll are thriving on is completely media driven. There have been some tight supplies here and there, but NO shortages. We had no ventilator shortages. We've built all kinds of extra bed space and not used any of it. I expect the usual suspects to fire off the same old crap they always do, and that's fine. That's all you have. But deep inside you, somewhere that the TDS hasn't got to yet, you know this to be true. Anyway, I usually just look at recipes and stay out of it, but sometimes yall are just to ignorant to ignore!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

So hospitals have many units.  Elective surgery has been suspended.  So most hospitals are not "full" in the classical sense.  The ICUs, where the sickest patients end up, those in vents, are a fraction of the total beds in a typical hospital.  These are filled up in Atlanta.  They have extra capacity at the convention center set up.  There are limited vents, that kind of limits the amount of acute respiratory care they can provide.  The hospital system there is ranked poorly according to the information below.  The governor is going to decrease personal distancing.  What could possibly go wrong?  Please, reserve judgement, we need this experiment to see what happens, I guess.

Understood. She deals with the COVID patients and specifically said there just aren't that many cases in the hospitals. The article about Atlanta hospitals you linked is from a month ago. A lot has changed since then (as you well know). 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA