Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please Stay Home

Options

Comments

• PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Options
    gamason said:
    The more I read this thread, it amazes me how so many of you can cook  as well as you do, and at the same time be a complete doofus. Your hatred of our President has your collective heads so far up your ass, you'll never have to worry about China virus, as you never take in a breath of fresh air. Yes, some have died. Yes, more will die. But this fear and panic ya'll are thriving on is completely media driven. There have been some tight supplies here and there, but NO shortages. We had no ventilator shortages. We've built all kinds of extra bed space and not used any of it. I expect the usual suspects to fire off the same old crap they always do, and that's fine. That's all you have. But deep inside you, somewhere that the TDS hasn't got to yet, you know this to be true. Anyway, I usually just look at recipes and stay out of it, but sometimes yall are just to ignorant to ignore!
    The ignorance here is in neglecting the impact of all the social distancing that’s been adopted across essentially the entire country.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    gamason said:
    The more I read this thread, it amazes me how so many of you can cook  as well as you do, and at the same time be a complete doofus. Your hatred of our President has your collective heads so far up your ass, you'll never have to worry about China virus, as you never take in a breath of fresh air. Yes, some have died. Yes, more will die. But this fear and panic ya'll are thriving on is completely media driven. There have been some tight supplies here and there, but NO shortages. We had no ventilator shortages. We've built all kinds of extra bed space and not used any of it. I expect the usual suspects to fire off the same old crap they always do, and that's fine. That's all you have. But deep inside you, somewhere that the TDS hasn't got to yet, you know this to be true. Anyway, I usually just look at recipes and stay out of it, but sometimes yall are just to ignorant to ignore!

I'm sure you mean no malice.  You've staked out a political opinion driven by giant powerful political machines.  Some people read science and news, others propaganda.  I would normally take some offense at being called "ignorant", however, I assure you I read and study issues more than the average Joe.  So I guess I'll just chalk this up to Hanlon's razor.
    Options
    gamason said:

I'm sure you mean no malice.  You've staked out a political opinion driven by giant powerful political machines.  Some people read science and news, others propaganda.  I would normally take some offense at being called "ignorant", however, I assure you I read and study issues more than the average Joe.  So I guess I'll just chalk this up to Hanlon's razor.
    Johnny, What does Mr Darwin have for our winner?
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    gamason said:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I heard from Dr Phil that 360,000 people drown in swimming pools every year, but have they banned swimming pools?!  NO!
    edited April 2020
    Options
    gamason said:
    Yes, some have died = 46K+
    Yes, more will die = 
    401K?

canuckland
  • HeavyG
    Options
    dmchicago said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/trump-aides-explore-ways-get-frustrated-president-out-washington-n1189591

The president himself said he hopes to be back at rallies soon and predicted “they’re going to be bigger than ever” during a recent coronavirus briefing, just days after saying his sole goal was to make “the country better” and arguing he didn’t “care about campaigning.”

On Friday, Trump said rallies are “an important part of politics” and implied he wasn’t a fan of spaced-out seating requirements, like the ones currently established in the White House briefing room as a health precaution.

“It loses a lot of flavor” when people are sitting with empty seats between them, the president said.

Yeah, but...ah..fu&k it. Go ahead.

I feel guilty in that a small part of me actually wants Trumpy to start holding jam-packed rallies again.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Love the modified profile pic @HeavyG
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    "Yesterday, I was removed from my positions as the Director of the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA) and HHS Deputy Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response by the Administration and involuntarily transferred to a more limited and less impactful position at the National Institutes of Health. I believe this transfer was in response to my insistence that the government invest the billions of dollars allocated by Congress to address the COVID-19 pandemic into safe and scientifically vetted solutions, and not in drugs, vaccines and other technologies that lack scientific merit. I am speaking out because to combat this deadly virus, science -- not politics or cronyism -- has to lead the way.

"I have spent my entire career in vaccine development, in the government with CDC and BARDA and also in the biotechnology industry. My professional background has prepared me for a moment like this -- to confront and defeat a deadly virus that threatens Americans and people around the globe. To this point, I have led the government's efforts to invest in the best science available to combat the COVID-19 pandemic. Unfortunately, this resulted in clashes with HHS political leadership, including criticism for my proactive efforts to invest early in vaccines and supplies critical to saving American lives. I also resisted efforts to fund potentially dangerous drugs promoted by those with political connections.
      "Specifically, and contrary to misguided directives, I limited the broad use of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine, promoted by the Administration as a panacea, but which clearly lack scientific merit. While I am prepared to look at all options and to think "outside the box" for effective treatments, I rightly resisted efforts to provide an unproven drug on demand to the American public. I insisted that these drugs be provided only to hospitalized patients with confirmed COVID-19 while under the supervision of a physician. These drugs have potentially serious risks associated with them, including increased mortality observed in some recent studies in patients with COVID-19.
      "Sidelining me in the middle of this pandemic and placing politics and cronyism ahead of science puts lives at risk and stunts national efforts to safely and effectively address this urgent public health crisis.
        "I will request that the Inspector General of the Department of Health and Human Services investigate the manner in which this Administration has politicized the work of BARDA and has pressured me and other conscientious scientists to fund companies with political connections as well as efforts that lack scientific merit. Rushing blindly towards unproven drugs can be disastrous and result in countless more deaths. Science, in service to the health and safety of the American people, must always trump politics.
        "I am very grateful for the bipartisan support from Congress and their confidence in my leadership of BARDA as reflected in the generous appropriation to BARDA in the CARES 3 Act. It is my sincere hope that the dedicated professionals at BARDA and throughout HHS will be allowed to use the best scientific acumen and integrity to continue their efforts to stop the pandemic without political pressure or distractions. Americans deserve no less."

-Dr Rick Bright, the director of the agency responsible for leading the charge on the production and purchase of vaccines in the Trump administration.
      • nolaegghead
        Options
        gamason said:

Dunning–Kruger effect?

There is some axiom, to effect, if you insult someone's intelligence, you at least try to spell the insult correctly.  But I don't remember the name of it because I guess I'm "to ignorant".

10 Ironic And Hilariously Misspelled Protest Signs

Options
      • dmchicago
        dmchicago Posts: 4,516
        Options
        "Yesterday, I was removed from my positions as the Director of the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA) and HHS Deputy Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response by the Administration and involuntarily transferred to a more limited and less impactful position at the National Institutes of Health. I believe this transfer was in response to my insistence that the government invest the billions of dollars allocated by Congress to address the COVID-19 pandemic into safe and scientifically vetted solutions, and not in drugs, vaccines and other technologies that lack scientific merit. I am speaking out because to combat this deadly virus, science -- not politics or cronyism -- has to lead the way.

"I have spent my entire career in vaccine development, in the government with CDC and BARDA and also in the biotechnology industry. My professional background has prepared me for a moment like this -- to confront and defeat a deadly virus that threatens Americans and people around the globe. To this point, I have led the government's efforts to invest in the best science available to combat the COVID-19 pandemic. Unfortunately, this resulted in clashes with HHS political leadership, including criticism for my proactive efforts to invest early in vaccines and supplies critical to saving American lives. I also resisted efforts to fund potentially dangerous drugs promoted by those with political connections.
          "Specifically, and contrary to misguided directives, I limited the broad use of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine, promoted by the Administration as a panacea, but which clearly lack scientific merit. While I am prepared to look at all options and to think "outside the box" for effective treatments, I rightly resisted efforts to provide an unproven drug on demand to the American public. I insisted that these drugs be provided only to hospitalized patients with confirmed COVID-19 while under the supervision of a physician. These drugs have potentially serious risks associated with them, including increased mortality observed in some recent studies in patients with COVID-19.
          "Sidelining me in the middle of this pandemic and placing politics and cronyism ahead of science puts lives at risk and stunts national efforts to safely and effectively address this urgent public health crisis.
            "I will request that the Inspector General of the Department of Health and Human Services investigate the manner in which this Administration has politicized the work of BARDA and has pressured me and other conscientious scientists to fund companies with political connections as well as efforts that lack scientific merit. Rushing blindly towards unproven drugs can be disastrous and result in countless more deaths. Science, in service to the health and safety of the American people, must always trump politics.
            "I am very grateful for the bipartisan support from Congress and their confidence in my leadership of BARDA as reflected in the generous appropriation to BARDA in the CARES 3 Act. It is my sincere hope that the dedicated professionals at BARDA and throughout HHS will be allowed to use the best scientific acumen and integrity to continue their efforts to stop the pandemic without political pressure or distractions. Americans deserve no less."

-Dr Rick Bright, the director of the agency responsible for leading the charge on the production and purchase of vaccines in the Trump administration.
            Just another LIB with TDS

@gamason probably.
            Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
            Dennis - Austin,TX
          • nolaegghead
            Options
            Options
            Let's take a gamble I won't kill 1% of our 2.3 million citizens!  I mean, that's like only half of the dead from the Vietnam war, right?
            Everyone in Vegas is super healthy, probably won't kill many at all.
          • Spaightlabs
            Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
            edited April 2020
            Options
            gamason said:
            No fear at all.  No panic either.

Good luck to you, your state is not expected to do great coming out of this - hope they are wrong.

Might I suggest you sign and carry the below with you in order to fully express your bravery and to show your commitment to your position?

upload_2020-4-22_15-47-37png
          • saluki2007
            saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
            Options
            gamason said:
            Yes, more will die = 
            401K?

Yes my 401k has died...I don't see what that has to do with this discussion though....
            Large and Small BGE
            Central, IL

• caliking
            caliking Posts: 18,731
            Options
            gamason said:
            Culinary acumen has little to do with intelligence. 

I know plenty of dumb fvcks who could cook circles around folks here, plenty who can’t boil water. Also know plenty of intelligent people who could cook circles around folks here, and plenty who couldn’t boil water either. 

What’s your point again??

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
            A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
          • Canugghead
            Canugghead Posts: 11,528
            Options
            gamason said:
            Yes, more will die = 
            401K?

Yes my 401k has died...I don't see what that has to do with this discussion though....
            We heard previously:
            1) density of population matters
            2) density of population matters
            What I'm saying is:
            1) does "Yes, more will die" mean 401K will die?
            2) does "Yes, more will die" mean 401K will die?
            canuckland
          • Botch
            Botch Posts: 15,487
            Options
            DoubleEgger said:
            I’ve been a conservative my entire life. After watching how the GOP has conducted themselves during this pandemic, I’m 100% done with them. I don’t want to be associated with that level of stupidity. Trump insults my intelligence everytime he opens his mouth...
            @DoubleEgger, I'm in the exact same boat.  The republican party is not, and hasn't been, the "conservative" party for several years now, but rather the "party of the Wealthy".  To my understanding, several things have brought this about:

1.  Reagan's tax cuts to the wealthy, under the disproved theory of "trickle-down economics".  That doesn't work, and never has (somewhere in my notes I have a list of the tax rates on the top 1%; it was 95% during WWII, dropped to 91% in '46, dropped again under Eisenhower, dropped a yuge amount under Reagan, plus a few more times, was it JP Morgan that was then paying less, percentage-wise, than his secretary? and now (if you're super-lawyered, like Boeing Corp) the wealthy can even get a tax refund, having paid no income tax whatsoever in the first place!!! (nice work if you can get it)
            Is it any wonder, under the pre-CV economy, that the top 1% have funneled 80% of the total wealth generated, to themselves?  

2.  The SC's Citizen's United decision.  Unlimited funding to politicians (on both sides but I see a lot more going to the repubs), with "dark money" cloaks and no transparency.  This is what corrupted our party.

3.  mcconnell's blocking of judicial nominations of the Obama administration, until after the most recent election (and not just at the federal level).  This should've been snuffed out immediately, and was a complete bastardization of our Founding Fathers' Separation of Powers; 100% criminal and traitorous.  Dammit!  

4.  There is a fourth point I want to make, and it's escaping me right now; hopefully it comes to me before my Edit expiration time... 

Got blabby again, apologies, but this has got me fired up.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Battleborn
            Battleborn Posts: 3,359
            Options
            Reference our illustrious mayor's interview, luckily she is more of a figurehead with no real authority. Also, The Strip is technically in the jurisdiction of the county, not the city. She really has no leg to stand on when it comes to opening it back up. 
            Las Vegas, NV

• dmchicago
            dmchicago Posts: 4,516
            Options

Trump: "i don't know who he is."

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
                Dennis - Austin,TX
              • JohnInCarolina
                Options
                lousubcap said:
                I preface this with the fact that I have had a few adult cocktails this PM but reading thru this thread definitely looks like an escalation not unlike what is happening across the country.  Being old I am not able to appreciate the financial challenges of those who are no longer employed and that alone is one he11 of a stressor.  Couple that with the stay at home guidance and you have a mix that is ripe for combustion.  Personal stress that we have never before confronted and with no clear path to victory is also tremendously unsettling.  If an outlet of yours is this forum, and it serves a great purpose for that as it  should, then perhaps we should all ease up a bit, at least here.  FWIW-
                Off soap-box.  
                It's a point worth making, Frank.  Thank you.
              • HeavyG
                Options

Well...damn...there goes my summer plans.

• WeberWho
                WeberWho Posts: 11,029
                Options
                HeavyG said:

https://youtu.be/ulGaxBPk2jI 
                "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
              • YukonRon
                YukonRon Posts: 16,989
                Options
                WeberWho said:
                HeavyG said:

BAM Blast is better.
                "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
                Louisville, Kentucky
              • WeberWho
                WeberWho Posts: 11,029
                edited April 2020
                Options
                YukonRon said:
                WeberWho said:
                HeavyG said:

BAM Blast is better.
                I don't know. Faygo and meth sounds like a pretty fun time! Whoop Whoop.  ;)
                "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota