Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please Stay Home

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,942
    Options
    Vanilla sucks. I had a reply for the haters on here but **** it. I never said trump was doing a good job, or defending anything. So much for some good old fashioned debate, we will just poke fun instead. 

@frazzdaddy I don't care who is making the point, when they interject their hate and slander towards me it shows me exactly what kind of person they are. "Respected" my ass. 
    I don't hate you, and I certainly didn't slander you.  In debate, there are points and counterpoints, and various ways to make them.  

I mean look, if you don't think he's doing a good job, then hasn't he by definition made mistakes?  And yet you've suggested he hasn't made any mistakes that other countries haven't made?  

I'm happy to have a good-natured debate on this, and in general I'd advise you not to take anything anyone here says personally.  I certainly don't.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Never said he didnt make any mistakes, that was to see which ones were bothering people the most. And it was @caliking response that was untoward. Either way I'm done in here 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Never said he didnt make any mistakes, that was to see which ones were bothering people the most. And it was @caliking response that was untoward. Either way I'm done in here 
    So much for some good old fashioned debate, we will just walk away instead.  
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Although I am only 38 years old I am in the higher risk camp due to a biological I take for psoriatic arthritis that weakens my immune response to things. I have to get tested for TB every year, got the pneumococcal vaccine, and I get blood work done every few months. 

The people who are not taking this seriously are downright pissing me off. I haven’t been to the store in a few weeks, my wife is doing our shopping, but I have witnessed some real idiots while out riding my bike. Just the other day I passed a group or 20 something year olds taking a selfie together at a trailhead, like kissing cheeks “look at us hiking” type thing. 

Before I start blaming young people I’ve also seen groups of older folks out for walks in shoulder to shoulder groups. I can assure you that these 70+ year olds are not roommates attending the local university here that are quarantined together. My wife also mentioned that while she’s been in line at our local Trader Joe’s, where they have distance lines on the sidewalk, the older folks seem to want to approach anyone and everyone to chit chat. She said she flat out told one lady to back up and respect the seriousness of this. 

Luckily we live where we can get outside and keep our distance from others but the observations we’ve had are really concerning. Please stay home as much as possible and if you do go out stay the faq away from others and gather with your friends after we survive this. My kids listen better than some adults out there! 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I'm also confused re: the whole "civil debate" vs. "make moronic unsubstantiated  statements" issue, but I've found that I suck at the latter. 

I recall overhearing a conversation at a party, many moons ago in college, that about sums it up though.

"how much do you read, bitcsh?"

*not technically savvy, so will someone kindly insert a "dusting your hands off" meme/gif here?*

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    Options
    Vanilla sucks. I had a reply for the haters on here but **** it. I never said trump was doing a good job, or defending anything. So much for some good old fashioned debate, we will just poke fun instead. 

@frazzdaddy I don't care who is making the point, when they interject their hate and slander towards me it shows me exactly what kind of person they are. "Respected" my ass. 
    Not certain that I was included in @frazzdaddy ‘s comment about respected folks. Respect who you want to. I just try to be informed/educated, and respectful (as warranted). 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Which mistakes, same ones all the other countries have made? This isnt so much an america problem as it is the entire world. 
    Yes the pandemic is a problem for the entire world, it's how you handle it that differentiates losers from winners. Don't paint "all the other countries" with the same BS.

btw, did someone brag about doing more tests than S. Korea? For Christ sake, pick anyone but leave S. Korea alone pleeeeese ...

Read this on FB yesterday, I suppose you can argue it's FAKE news.

My mom recently went back to Korea for her own safety (she has no medical insurance here) and I need to share her coronavirus experience because this is some next level stuff.
    Upon arriving in Korea after a flight in a nearly empty plane, non-citizens and citizens were separated. Non-citizens went to a separate quarantine zone while citizens went straight to screening. My mom was examined and then instructed to download an app made SPECIFICALLY for coronavirus, to mainly track her GPS to make sure she really self-quarantines, but also to provide countrywide updates on the pandemic.
    She was greeted outside by officials who hailed a cab for her that the Korean government paid for, and they confirmed the address she would stay at for the next two weeks.
    The day after she got settled in, a health worker showed up to make sure she was doing okay, and dropped off a kit filled with masks, thermometers, trash bag, and disinfecting products (photo attached).
    And in three days she will do a drive thru coronavirus check and she will get her results in the app within 24 hours. Mic drop.
    Just thought I’d share real quick how much South Korea is light years ahead of us.
    --
    UPDATE: Wow, didn't expect this to become so popular, hello to everybody! I wanted to add some quick bullet points for those who may not fully understand the context of this post:
    1. South Korea is a democratic country, FYI.
    2. No matter what the culture differences are between the two countries, S. Korea's government managed to launch and act on a bunch of programs in record time. Compare or don't compare, but you have to admit it's still amazing how quickly S. Korea responded. Take this as an educational look at how another country is handling this crazy pandemic!
    3. My mother is doing great!! Thank you to those who asked. I'll post more updates from her on this thread as she sends me more recaps.
    4. Please don't be a jerk or else I'll delete your comment. We all have our own crap to deal with. Thank you!
    No photo description available
    14K14K
    2.2K Comments
    8.6K Shares

Kinda seems like we could learn a thing or two from that example....
    Yet we won't. To fight a pandemic one has to make personal sacrifice for the greater good. With each passing generation the number of those willing continues to shrink. We're a self centered, superficial petty bunch that can't seem to think further than the next episode of the Kardashians. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Which mistakes, same ones all the other countries have made? This isnt so much an america problem as it is the entire world. 
    Yes the pandemic is a problem for the entire world, it's how you handle it that differentiates losers from winners. Don't paint "all the other countries" with the same BS.

btw, did someone brag about doing more tests than S. Korea? For Christ sake, pick anyone but leave S. Korea alone pleeeeese ...

Read this on FB yesterday, I suppose you can argue it's FAKE news.

My mom recently went back to Korea for her own safety (she has no medical insurance here) and I need to share her coronavirus experience because this is some next level stuff.
    Upon arriving in Korea after a flight in a nearly empty plane, non-citizens and citizens were separated. Non-citizens went to a separate quarantine zone while citizens went straight to screening. My mom was examined and then instructed to download an app made SPECIFICALLY for coronavirus, to mainly track her GPS to make sure she really self-quarantines, but also to provide countrywide updates on the pandemic.
    She was greeted outside by officials who hailed a cab for her that the Korean government paid for, and they confirmed the address she would stay at for the next two weeks.
    The day after she got settled in, a health worker showed up to make sure she was doing okay, and dropped off a kit filled with masks, thermometers, trash bag, and disinfecting products (photo attached).
    And in three days she will do a drive thru coronavirus check and she will get her results in the app within 24 hours. Mic drop.
    Just thought I’d share real quick how much South Korea is light years ahead of us.
    --
    UPDATE: Wow, didn't expect this to become so popular, hello to everybody! I wanted to add some quick bullet points for those who may not fully understand the context of this post:
    1. South Korea is a democratic country, FYI.
    2. No matter what the culture differences are between the two countries, S. Korea's government managed to launch and act on a bunch of programs in record time. Compare or don't compare, but you have to admit it's still amazing how quickly S. Korea responded. Take this as an educational look at how another country is handling this crazy pandemic!
    3. My mother is doing great!! Thank you to those who asked. I'll post more updates from her on this thread as she sends me more recaps.
    4. Please don't be a jerk or else I'll delete your comment. We all have our own crap to deal with. Thank you!
    No photo description available
    14K14K
    2.2K Comments
    8.6K Shares

Kinda seems like we could learn a thing or two from that example....
    Yet we won't. To fight a pandemic one has to make personal sacrifice for the greater good. With each passing generation the number of those willing continues to shrink. We're a self centered, superficial petty bunch that can't seem to think further than the next episode of the Kardashians. 
    Man, I hope you're wrong...not gonna bet against you though.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Where my Ammon Bundy supporters at?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/liberty-rebellion-idaho-threatens-undermine-190245970.html

Just a big hairy American winning machine.  

• milesvdustin
    Options
    I originally mentioned an article that details how the pandemic task force was reorganized into other agencies, not disbanded. Did every single person that worked on that force lose their job? No, from what I've read only the director of it lost his position but everyone else still has their job. Would disbanded be they all got the pink slip and gtfo?

Then later i asked which mistakes were being referenced. Because this disease is worldwide, nobody has made the right call and haven't gotten in in their country. Worldwide! The first thing @caliking replies to that is if I'm taking that hydroxychloroquine? What kind of response is that to the question i posed if it's not meant to be ugly and mean spirited directed right at me?

This is the problem here, anyone disagrees with you they try to cut you down and call you an idiot. And its VERY obvious politically which side the people doing this are on. That's where I see the disrespect.

Posters are saying I think trump does no wrong, etc but I have not stated that view, because i dont have that view. 

caliking said:

Not certain that I was included in @frazzdaddy ‘s comment about respected folks. Respect who you want to. I just try to be informed/educated, and respectful (as warranted). 
    So what did I say or do to you that means I dont warrant any respect? Surely it's my perceived views on things, because I've never said anything to you in a bad light, but you'll come right out with some crap at me. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    Where my Ammon Bundy supporters at?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/liberty-rebellion-idaho-threatens-undermine-190245970.html

Just a big hairy American winning machine.  

Damn, let's hope he doesn't succeed in making Ted look like a minor league player  :o
    canuckland
  • caliking
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I originally mentioned an article that details how the pandemic task force was reorganized into other agencies, not disbanded. Did every single person that worked on that force lose their job? No, from what I've read only the director of it lost his position but everyone else still has their job. Would disbanded be they all got the pink slip and gtfo?

Then later i asked which mistakes were being referenced. Because this disease is worldwide, nobody has made the right call and haven't gotten in in their country. Worldwide! The first thing @caliking replies to that is if I'm taking that hydroxychloroquine? What kind of response is that to the question i posed if it's not meant to be ugly and mean spirited directed right at me?

This is the problem here, anyone disagrees with you they try to cut you down and call you an idiot. And its VERY obvious politically which side the people doing this are on. That's where I see the disrespect.

Posters are saying I think trump does no wrong, etc but I have not stated that view, because i dont have that view. 

caliking said:

So what did I say or do to you that means I dont warrant any respect? Surely it's my perceived views on things, because I've never said anything to you in a bad light, but you'll come right out with some crap at me. 

I don't know why you're carrying on with this, or trying to play the victim.

As to which countries have done better -
    1. S. Korea
    2. Singapore
    3. Hong Kong
    4. Germany... sort of. High number of cases, lower mortality. Some speculate that its because they have more nurses per capita than other countries.  Who knows.

Just a few. Pops hangs out in Belize a good part of the year, and even they had a more sensible response to COVID-19 than the US. Because they don't have a loon undermining people who have some expertise  in the matter. 

As to the remainder of your post/comment, I never said anything about you warranting respect or not. Review your comments, maybe check up on some facts, and get back to us. 

Be well.

• milesvdustin
    Options
    Playing a victim? Certainly not. I'm also not ignoring questions about what I wrote in this thread. 

At least one of my questions was answered. I knew S Korea was doing good, didnt know about the others. 

And there we go again attacking the president. Because that's the cool thing to do. Always attack, never leave an opportunity alone. Cant help yourself. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The orange clown that's killing people through inactivity in slow motion doesn't seem like he's getting the ratings he lives for with anyone who's educated in the medical community.  Look at the fvcking graphs, man!  Good to see for his sake he still has the support from a legion of:

Donald Trump claimed he could "stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody" and not "lose any voters."
    Options
    I guess you missed the last several posts of mine too? 

China should have shut their country down right off, instead they shut down the doctors trying to sound the alarm. But now it's all Americas fault. 

• nolaegghead
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Nope.  I read them.  Holding Trump responsible for everything is like blaming your 6 year old for killing a goldfish.  I blame the general populace for being idiots and voting in a fvcking incompetent government.  
    edited April 2020
    Options

China should have shut their country down right off, instead they shut down the doctors trying to sound the alarm. But now it's all Americas fault. 
    Glad you learned something tonight. 

Any idea why COVID-19 hit Wuhan so hard, but not so much other cities in China? Because they saddled up and shut the whole fvcking province down to contain it. Among other measures. 

And as it turns out, China isn’t the only country trying to shut their doctors up. 

Ok. I’m really done now. 

edit: in this time, if a bbq forum is where you’re finding out about how countries are responding to the coronavirus pandemic...

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

Who here is claiming this is all America’s fault?
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Oh I knew all about china and their antics with doctors suddenly going missing a long time before tonight. I started buying extra groceries and things last week of january cause I figured it was going to get bad. I wish I could find the article i read where they mentioned this new form of a coronavirus back in December or very early january. It didnt set a good tone. I'll look for it. 

The "Americas fault" is how I feel the general tone of things is (not just here, on the news and other forums as well) and simply my opinion. 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Maybe the "America's Fault" sentiment is what the actual fake news wants you to think through propaganda that other people think because they want to propagate an "us against them" mentality.  When in fact, that's a load of crap that keeps people like you, that would otherwise look at things objectively, find a bogeyman you can label as unpatriotic and haters.  Human engineering at its worst.
    Options
    I don't think I saw anything ever from anyone that suggested this virus problem is "America's Fault".  It's a fvcking virus that comes from nature.  How we deal with it says volumes about how we react to a scientific phenomena.  Given that we are as first world as it gets, or at least used to be, the science denying in favor of politicizing is gonna hurt grandma who goes to church.  That is the price we pay, as well as looking like fvckheads when we should be global leaders.
    Options
    I'm not calling anyone the boogeyman. If someone wants to make a personal comment I'm going to rebuttal it. I do view things objectively, and most often with an eye of cold reality. I started bringing things up around here to the group because there seems to be the need for a scapegoat and it is overtaking the forum. Even the "what are you.... now" threads.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I'm not calling anyone the boogeyman. If someone wants to make a personal comment I'm going to rebuttal it. I do view things objectively, and most often with an eye of cold reality. I started bringing things up around here to the group because there seems to be the need for a scapegoat and it is overtaking the forum. Even the "what are you.... now" threads.
    I'm sure you're right.  Obviously I'm just an uninformed partisan hack.  Probably just a victim of commie socialism, anti-American, anti-capitalism.  My views are completely uninformed, and supportive of the most misanthropic, nipple-sucking parasites of society.  I do try to look at stuff with an eye of cold reality, but fake media makes me see things in a fake light of righteousness that I hate myself for.  I really need to plead fealty to the reality star of our generation that knows more than the generals, the scientists, the everything....maybe even more than the Jesus, that's what people are saying, and I just have not been listening!  Thank you for giving me the light of TRUTH and I'm now a supporter of the best, greatest and most truthiness leader of reality, that the world has never seen!!!!

Options
    It never fails that when someone says - "Either way I'm done in here" they keep coming back.
    They just can't avoid scratching that itch. :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Now that I'm a total MAGA guy, (converted from the excellent arguments posted on this forum), seem like the troll posts continue.  Strange, because it normally doesn't seem to go the other way.  Oh well.  I guess the people that don't deny the medical community and science and all that are just the same type of cowards that don't want to have a logical discussion of politics, facts and religion.  Works both ways, I suppose.  MAGA!!!  Make America Great Again!!!!  Damn the Chinese for the CHINESE VIRUS!!!!  Close the damn boarders, lock up and deport ALL the immigrants, stop global capitalism!!!  MORE private prisons!!!  If you can't afford health insurance and you need medical treatment, DECLARE BANKRUPTCY like normal third world citizens!!!  More tax breaks for rich people!  We don't need abortions, we need less family planning and more minimum wage workers!!!!  MAGA, MAGA, MAGA!!!!!!
    Options
    Also, if I may add, I think the decision in Wisconsin to hold elections in person is most excellent.  Death is a small price to pay to vote in person and not have, like, fake absentee ballots.  Voting is serious business and history has shown us there are all kinds of fake people and dead people and immigrants and all that voting that we need to totally stop.  A few thousand dead people is a small price to pay for a totally rigged system.  MAGA!!!!  MAGA!!! MOFUCKAHSZ!!! MAGA!!!
    Options
    If I have not mentioned all the support we need to give to predatory corporate operations like payday loans, rent to own businesses, variable rate loans and credit cards...well, I apologize.  MAGA!!!  MAGA!!!
    Options
    This crisis will define the Trump presidency. People will reflect on him calling it a flu, tests being unavailable, doctors pleading for masks, states begging for ventilators, Americans dying in historic numbers. I’m not sure of much, but I’m sure of this—no one is going to say “job well done.”
    Southern California
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    "The thing you need to understand about the Trump Administration is that there is no Trump Administration.

There's an illusion of a government presented by a collection of criminals whose only concern is further dismantling government to accelerate profit and consolidate power."

https://twitter.com/JYSexton/status/1247167720350679040

Mountain View, CA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    bicktrav said:
    This crisis will define the Trump presidency. People will reflect on him calling it a flu, tests being unavailable, doctors pleading for masks, states begging for ventilators, Americans dying in historic numbers. I’m not sure of much, but I’m sure of this—no one is going to say “job well done.”

Absolutely, brother.  Look at history.  We have the faithful brother followers honoring the other great leader from the 1930s and 40s in our modern times in Charlottesville.  They have not forgotten history like the fake mainstream media.  I think many forum members want to repeat history on this front. MAGA MAGA!!!!  Like they said back then, AMERICA FIRST!!!!

What could possibly go wrong?  I mean, I can't imagine it.