Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    @nolaegghead We try and lift up those on the front lines in general each day.  Y'all have been added to our specific list.  

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited March 2020
    HeavyG said:
    This CYA attitude on the part of hospital management in these trying times is utter bullsh!t!

This seems sh*tty at face value, but I think each of us would be fired for speaking to the press in regards to our employer without permission regardless of a pandemic. Random nurses, doctors and hospital staff giving unsolicited interviews could potentially do more harm than good. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    I used to use usaa until they decided to drag their feet and we almost ended up in court. Dirtbags. Also, they are super expensive compared to who I have now. Country financial (farm bureau)
    I had USAA for 14 years.  They drug out a window claim for over a month.  They sent 2 inspectors before they would fix it (crack went across half the window right through my line of sight), so I had to be available for a 4hr window of time twice, plus window getting fixed.  Both inspectors laughed and were like, "Yup, it's broke".  I started calling around.  Saved ~$1400 a year on all my insurance (have bundled policies).  USAA called a bunch trying to save my business.  They said they could match the rates, which was funny because when I called prior to the window issues they said they could not do any better, I had their best rate.

TL:DR version:

They lost a 14 year customer over a $250 windshield replacement, because if they had just fixed it I would not have gotten mad and searched around.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Eoin said:
    Watching Ip Man kung fu films on Netflix.
    Check out Drunken Masters.  It is worth the watch, at least when you are stuck in the house.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    The boys are getting cabin fever.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Eoin said:

I have been tempted myself. My local barber closed down the day before I tried to get there. Another month and I will look like I did back in the 1970’s except for the gray. 
    Might need to find idle hands something to do. Maybe washing the house followed by painting?
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Writing funding requests.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    SonVolt said:
    HeavyG said:
    This CYA attitude on the part of hospital management in these trying times is utter bullsh!t!

This seems sh*tty at face value, but I think each of us would be fired for speaking to the press in regards to our employer without permission regardless of a pandemic. Random nurses, doctors and hospital staff giving unsolicited interviews could potentially do more harm than good. 

Gonna have to disagree. When I was still working (I'm retired) it was also normal company practice that any requests from media were to be referred to the PR folks to deal with. In normal times, in normal corporations I understand the value of that approach.
    In this situation, where it seems to start with some government leaders initially ignoring/downplaying the scope/magnitude of the problem, I think the public is better served by hearing directly from the folks in the trenches/front lines.
    China initially tried to downplay the Covid19 problem and it was left to some citizens and medical professionals to go public with information about what was really happening. In China some of those folks were detained and China's normal brigades of internet censors scrubbed such commentary/criticism of the government from their internet. One of those folks was a medical doctor who was arrested and later died from Covid19. Ultimately, China could of course no longer hide the magnitude of the problem and was forced to deal with it differently.
    Here in the US our leadership also refused to deal with the problem in an upfront and honest manner. Hearing from first responders is helpful in conveying how serious the problem is. Those shared observations prompt the rest of us to make enough noise to force the hand of our "leaders" to respond with serious action.
    It seems, to me anyway, that firing medical personnel at a time when the need for medical personnel outstrips the available supply is criminally petty.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Eoin said:

They wearing their Dr. Martens? :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    $7 slabs of baby backs on and yard freshly mowed. Also did my 2 hours in purgatory home schooling my 5 year old who will now be home until May 1 at a minimum. Can’t see them
    going back for 4 weeks once they’ve been off for 7.......
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    She's working COVID again, today.  Then she will rotate back to her normal telemetry unit for a couple days before a rotation back to the COVID unit.  This will continue on for the indeterminate future.  At some point I predict most medical personnel will be focusing on the pandemic.

The first responders are doing a heroic job.  Please give anyone you know in this position, including police, firemen, EMS kudos.  They're paying a steep price dealing with this pandemic.
    My sphincter tone increases when I get ready for work or make my weekly trip to the grocery store, which is not even an iota of the exposure risk that Bridget and colleagues face. 

And know that you’re not welcome in TX, because our governor said so. Well... I guess y’all could quarantine yourselves at our place, until your cooties wore off. 

Seriously though, be well and stay safe. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    ColbyLang said:
    $7 slabs of baby backs on and yard freshly mowed. Also did my 2 hours in purgatory home schooling my 5 year old who will now be home until May 1 at a minimum. Can’t see them
    They aren’t going back this school year. 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang said:
    They aren’t going back this school year. 
    Totally agree. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Sitting on a webex while surfing the forum.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424

Got our bread delivery.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    HeavyG said:
    Gonna have to disagree. When I was still working (I'm retired) it was also normal company practice that any requests from media were to be referred to the PR folks to deal with. In normal times, in normal corporations I understand the value of that approach.
    In this situation, where it seems to start with some government leaders initially ignoring/downplaying the scope/magnitude of the problem, I think the public is better served by hearing directly from the folks in the trenches/front lines.
    China initially tried to downplay the Covid19 problem and it was left to some citizens and medical professionals to go public with information about what was really happening. In China some of those folks were detained and China's normal brigades of internet censors scrubbed such commentary/criticism of the government from their internet. One of those folks was a medical doctor who was arrested and later died from Covid19. Ultimately, China could of course no longer hide the magnitude of the problem and was forced to deal with it differently.
    Here in the US our leadership also refused to deal with the problem in an upfront and honest manner. Hearing from first responders is helpful in conveying how serious the problem is. Those shared observations prompt the rest of us to make enough noise to force the hand of our "leaders" to respond with serious action.
    It seems, to me anyway, that firing medical personnel at a time when the need for medical personnel outstrips the available supply is criminally petty.
    I have to agree 1,000%.    

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Finished the compost bin, minus the lid. Just need to frame it and attach this sheet metal. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602

I appreciate your concern, but it’s ok.  I’m upwind.
  • ColbyLang
    Legume said:

I appreciate your concern, but it’s ok.  I’m upwind.
    You win
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Made a part for my buddy's fishing kayak.  Cypress seat riser. 
    This afternoon I mowed my lawn.  Have never done that in March before, not even when I lived in Albuturkey, NM.  My fertilizer guys were here two days ago (right before two days of rain, yay!) and before my power-raking guys have shown up.  Weird.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @WeberWho - That is a great money shot.  Caveman for the finish...Congrats on the cook.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791

Yeah buddy 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    Screwed around at my shop.
    Screwed around at my shop.
    Are you at Rascal's place?  That sure is a lot of toys...
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• nolaegghead
    Rascal wins with the most toys.  My stuff is all cheap junk.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Wishing I woke up to find out this was the worlds most elaborate April Fools joke.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA