Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Botch said:
    Did baby backs today.  This past week I took great interest in @The Cen-Tex Smoker's discussion about burying the smoking wood at the bottom of the lump pile, so the volatiles get burned before reaching your protein.  Bought a box of post oak from the "Fruita-wood" site that someone else mentioned, and my first-ever Weber chimney starter, and gave them a go this morning.

My egg is on a PVC deck, so I couldn't light, or set down, the chimney there.  I thought about starting it on the grate, then picking it up and removing the grate, and then pouring in the lit coals.  This would've required three hands, even if I was coordinated.  Finally thought to just set the chimney on top of the old lump in the Egg, with the smoking chunk lightly buried underneath, giving it a head-start.  Lit the newspaper, and set my timer for 15 minutes per the chimney instructions.

Came out in 15 minutes and the chimney was roaring; so was the old lump around the base of the chimney, yikes!  The plastic handle on my new chimney was only a few inches above the hot lump, but wasn't damaged.  I grabbed the two handles and poured the lump out, spraying sparks everywhere.  I noticed a couple pieces of lump stuck in the wires of the chimney, about the same time I smelled burning hair. Gah!!  So, I'm running for the garage (cement floor) with the chimney in one hand and slapping my head with the other; fortunately I only singed a few hairs (and am due for a haircut anyway).  Glad no phone cameras were involved.  

This was about the quickest way I've ever gotten my Egg up to cooking temp; will just have to figure out a better lighting sequence.  

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Green chili chicken pizzas.

Really Really Like
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    SciAggie said:

Please tell me more. Sauce?
    Las Vegas, NV

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @Battleborn The sauce is a roux then chicken broth, green chilies, and cumin - add sour cream at the end. That goes on as the base of the pizza. Then add shredded chicken, green chilies, and Mexican crumble cheese
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    I like your pizza setup @SciAggie !
    Mountain View, CA
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    thetrim said:
    @acn dude, that picture...
    Thank you.  It ate as good as it looked.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,863
    Options
    For the benefit of @alaskanassasin - my yard broom brother from another mother I bring sad news.

I am presently taking a moment in silent contemplation.  A loyal companion and servant - lost in the line of duty this morning.  
    Years of reliable service displacing detritus of myriad form,  sadly it ended today - upside down in a drain, trying to purge a sediment blockage.
    Valiant to the end.  Good-bye my friend. 

(Note for @eoin the 'Trigger' convention can not be applied, this a head and handle total loss scenario)

Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Wondering how our UK brothers have faired through Storm Dennis. Hope yall are making out alright. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • CPFC1905
    Options
    Wondering how our UK brothers have faired through Storm Dennis. Hope yall are making out alright. 
    I'm in the South East - very wet,  winds have died down.  The water tables are high, so there's a lot of flooding.  Much worse elsewhere.    
    We are paying the price for not managing water course properly and building on flood plains. 

Also @eoin is banned from answering this as he has shouldered arms and slid off to Portugal.  A shameful act of self-protection.   =)
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    For the benefit of @alaskanassasin - my yard broom brother from another mother I bring sad news.

I am presently taking a moment in silent contemplation.  A loyal companion and servant - lost in the line of duty this morning.  
    Years of reliable service displacing detritus of myriad form,  sadly it ended today - upside down in a drain, trying to purge a sediment blockage.
    Valiant to the end.  Good-bye my friend. 

(Note for @eoin the 'Trigger' convention can not be applied, this a head and handle total loss scenario)

You need to get a pressure washer on that deck!
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Just balled up some dough for tonight:

My dough was better in last night’s pizza. I reduced the hydration to 65% and it worked well. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    SciAggie said:

Beautiful.  I'd crush that right now.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • CPFC1905
    Options
    Eoin said:
    CPFC1905 said:
    I'm in the South East - very wet,  winds have died down.  The water tables are high, so there's a lot of flooding.  Much worse elsewhere.    
    We are paying the price for not managing water course properly and building on flood plains. 

Also @eoin is banned from answering this as he has shouldered arms and slid off to Portugal.  A shameful act of self-protection.   =)
    We left home at 3.30 this mornong to drive to the airport. It was raining steadily, a lot of standing water on the road. Around Nottingham, the road was flooded with a dead car in the middle of it. Made it with a detour, some flooded sections, Dom walked through the worst one to make sure it wasn't too deep!

Got to the hotel at about 12. View from the balcony.

On the down side, I have a bad cold, but by experimenting I've found that a couple of cold beers makes me feel much better.
    Got a cold??  Coming through an airport soon????  Two weeks in isolation for you if you sneeze at the wrong moment! 
  • PigBeanUs
    Options
    Nice card from the wife on Valentine’s Day:

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    I would pay money for some green chile chicken pizza from @sciaggie right now
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Just plowed through 40 pages of this thread to get caught up and now wondering why.

Nice cooks, tho. This is where hey hide, eh?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Walkin in Memphis.   I’ll be here for a few days and will be sure to hit Corky‘s, Central, Rendezvous, and Gus‘ Fried Chicken.  I’m looking for any other ideas out there.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Watching the race, between raindrops.  Made myself a little snack - Berkshire pork belly burnt ends.  Now these are tasty!

Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Sitting in my living room drinking a glass of wine and enjoying the sunset.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX