Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    @nolaegghead How did you maintain the red hue on your jerky mine always looks black or dark
    He's a commie. Haven't you heard?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Glad to have you back on the forum @NPHuskerFL
    Being back would indicate I left. The last time I had a "peace out moment" Brent and I were having multiple conversations on the side trying to decide when I would come back LOL. Now that I'm back and he isn't I find it appropriate that I never leave. Sure miss having convo with him.

Back to posting on a regular basis. I had forgotten about the whole Peace Out deal. I miss my buddy too. Hope you are doing well my friend. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @nolaegghead How did you maintain the red hue on your jerky mine always looks black or dark
    Do you cure it?  The nitrite fixes the color in the myoblobin in the muscle tissue.

Options
    From the wiki article on myoglobin:

Meat color

Myoglobin contains hemes, pigments responsible for the colour of red meat. The colour that meat takes is partly determined by the degree of oxidation of the myoglobin. In fresh meat the iron atom is in the ferrous (+2) oxidation state bound to an oxygen molecule (O2). Meat cooked well done is brown because the iron atom is now in the ferric (+3) oxidation state, having lost an electron. If meat has been exposed to nitrites, it will remain pink because the iron atom is bound to NO, nitric oxide (true of, e.g., corned beef or cured hams). Grilled meats can also take on a pink "smoke ring" that comes from the iron binding to a molecule of carbon monoxide.[13] Raw meat packed in a carbon monoxide atmosphere also shows this same pink "smoke ring" due to the same principles. Notably, the surface of this raw meat also displays the pink color, which is usually associated in consumers' minds with fresh meat. This artificially induced pink color can persist, reportedly up to one year.[14] Hormel and Cargill are both reported to use this meat-packing process, and meat treated this way has been in the consumer market since 2003.[15]

Options
    @lkapigian I sprayed with a mist bottle a 10% potassium sorbate solution after it was dehydrated.  Mold tends to grow on jerky, especially if it is moist.  Potassium sorbate has no taste or odor, has no negative health effects and is extremely effective at keeping surface mold off foods.

I make big batches of snack sausage/jerky and I've had a ton of it ruined by mold, even when it's in the fridge.

The other trick I'm trying for the first time is some oxygen absorbent packs.  The ones I bought remove 100cc of O2.  They look like the little silicone dessicants but they are filled with iron powder which reacts with O2 creating iron oxide.  They're $0.10 each.  O2 makes fats taste rancid.  Why not?
    @nolaegghead thanks, I never tried curing it.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @nolaegghead thanks, I never tried curing it.

1 gram Prague powder #1 per pound of meat.  It's salt with 6.25% sodium nitrite.
    no marinade?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    no marinade?

You put that in the marinade.  I used a seasoning pack this time that I had laying around.  It did 5 pounds, I had 6 so I added some additional worcestershire sauce, soy, garlic, fish sauce, liquid smoke, etc.  I usually make my own.  Don't put any vinegar or meat tenderizer (unless it's the msg kind) or you will have mush.

Salt and pepper (black and red) is all a lot of people use.  With cure.
    Thanks, I will try prague on my next batch.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    @lkapigian I sprayed with a mist bottle a 10% potassium sorbate solution after it was dehydrated.  Mold tends to grow on jerky, especially if it is moist.  Potassium sorbate has no taste or odor, has no negative health effects and is extremely effective at keeping surface mold off foods.

I make big batches of snack sausage/jerky and I've had a ton of it ruined by mold, even when it's in the fridge.

The other trick I'm trying for the first time is some oxygen absorbent packs.  The ones I bought remove 100cc of O2.  They look like the little silicone dessicants but they are filled with iron powder which reacts with O2 creating iron oxide.  They're $0.10 each.  O2 makes fats taste rancid.  Why not?
    I've been using the desiccant packs for a while, I use the zip lock vacuum bags...Maybe because of our climate being so dry,I have not had a mold issue

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    I just picked some up off ebay next to nothing. Dang near lifetime supply being 2lbs. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pink-Curing-Salt-1-2lb-Prague-Powder-by-Anthonys-Verified-Gluten-Free/153821052016?hash=item23d072fc70:g:KMUAAOSwPMpeOWq1
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    lkapigian said:

I've been using the desiccant packs for a while, I use the zip lock vacuum bags...Maybe because of our climate being so dry,I have not had a mold issue

I would love some of those bags, will have to order.

If you are putting desiccant pouches in, are shooting for zero moisture jerky?  Because they will keep pulling water out of whatever is in the bag until there's no more water or they are saturated.  That would keep mold off, but I like some moisture in my jerky (at the expense of shelf life)
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Got a whole chicken separated and prepped for the skillet later. @YukonRon , you know you’re welcome to come over. I know it’s a favorite of yours. ;)  Spiked the eggwash with some spiciness.

Thank you sir, appreciate the invite. Kinda stuck in PA this week. Hotel food.
    This is reason number 16,345,847,236 why I can't wait to retire.
    It looks killer.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    County Finals.....for all the marbles. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    edited February 2020
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I just picked some up off ebay next to nothing. Dang near lifetime supply being 2lbs. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pink-Curing-Salt-1-2lb-Prague-Powder-by-Anthonys-Verified-Gluten-Free/153821052016?hash=item23d072fc70:g:KMUAAOSwPMpeOWq1
     Thanks, good looking out.  I bought instacure #2 for beef sticks awhile back and Prague #1... not sure what I bought that for but i remember I had to have it, however it is unopened ;-)

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    These came in the mail, honestly forgot I bought them way back when. I’ve caught their Ryman residency the last 4 years running. It’s as good a night of music as you can hear. 

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options

Potassium sorbate, oxygen absorbers...it's like you're going full prepper with this batch. Looking for at least a ten year shelf life? :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lkapigian
    edited February 2020
    Options
    WeberWho said:

Thanks, good looking out.  I bought instacure #2 for beef sticks awhile back and Prague #1... not sure what I bought that for but i remember I had to have it, however it is unopened ;-)

Beef Sticks would still be Cure 1 ( unless I misread your post ) cure 2 is for long curing like fermented/dried sausage ( my apologies if I misread) 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    WeberWho said:

Beef Sticks would still be Cure 1 ( unless I misread your post ) cure 2 is for long curing like fermented/dried sausage ( my apologies if I misread) 
    Yep, the sodium nitrate in #2 is "time-release" nitrite.

lkapigian said:
    WeberWho said:

You read correct, and it is coming back to me, I used #2 making corned beef.

For the beef sticks I used premixed seasoning packets. I bought #1 to make my own beef stick recipe but never got around to it.

Now I want to make beef sticks again.

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lkapigian
    edited February 2020
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    WeberWho said:

For the beef sticks I used premixed seasoning packets. I bought #1 to make my own beef stick recipe but never got around to it.

They can be very confusing for sure...cure 1 for your corned beef as well, but now since you have cure 2 go down the fermented sausage rabbit hole =)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    The rule is: if part of the process is fermentation or anything with molds, bacteria, etc. over time, use number 2.  The biological activity breaks the nitrate down to nitrite.  Otherwise use number 1.
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:
    WeberWho said:

They can be very confusing for sure...cure 1 for your corned beef as well, but now since you have cure 2 go down the fermented sausage rabbit hole =)

Straight out of “joy of cooking” however I made this recipe twice, first time I rinsed and simmered, it was too salty, the second time I rinsed, boiled, changed the water and it was still to salty.  
     I have another brisket in the freezer that is from a neighbors cow, it looks good but kinda thin, I was thinking about breaking it down and trying a different corned beef recipe which probably calls for Prague 1
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    I can almost guarantee that no one cares but... The photo I took is from a Joy of cooking I received in 2007.  We just got the new edition of Joy of cooking for Christmas and I just looked up corned beef... guess what the new edition calls for Instacure or Prague #1
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Prague is a wild place. Watch out for Prague Powder 3 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:
    WeberWho said:

Straight out of “joy of cooking” however I made this recipe twice, first time I rinsed and simmered, it was too salty, the second time I rinsed, boiled, changed the water and it was still to salty.  
     I have another brisket in the freezer that is from a neighbors cow, it looks good but kinda thin, I was thinking about breaking it down and trying a different corned beef recipe which probably calls for Prague 1
    Maybe it's to do with the 3 weeks in the fridge, but I think it's just wrong.

Ruhlman is the master of curing...

https://ruhlman.com/2010/03/15/corned-beef-how-to-cure-your-own/