Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sauscutapalooza AWSS6 The Payoff

Options

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Well if it wasn’t weird before, it’s getting there now.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    This whole thread is all kinds of awesome! Really cool.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    One of my favorite sounds:  The sound of Centex saying “It’s about to get weird.”

I’ve heard that a lot this weekend. It’s been a good weekend. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    1000 links, that’s insane, beautifully insane.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Outstanding work. I have gone through about all rhat we made in November with @Sea2Ski and @northGAcock. 40 lbs and it was awesome.

Loved the post. Thank you for sharing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Outstanding work. I have gone through about all rhat we made in November with @Sea2Ski and @northGAcock. 40 lbs and it was awesome.

40 lbs?  That seems so.....reasonable.

i can imagine making 40 lbs without feeling like I’d survived a car accident...the kind where you just look down and mutter “I hope they were okay” when in your heart of hearts as a grown-ass person you know they certainly perished, and in a grisly manner...I can imagine not feeling like I survived that. 

However, we made a little more.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    One of my favorite sounds:  The sound of Centex saying “It’s about to get weird.”

I’ve heard that a lot this weekend. It’s been a good weekend. 
    It was awesome And it did get weird. Hard to have one without the other in my book. 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    20stone said:
    YukonRon said:

40 lbs?  That seems so.....reasonable.

i can imagine making 40 lbs without feeling like I’d survived a car accident...the kind where you just look down and mutter “I hope they were okay” when in your heart of hearts as a grown-ass person you know they certainly perished, and in a grisly manner...I can imagine not feeling like I survived that. 

However, we made a little more.
    I have no idea how much we made, I think we split it among 5 of us? It was a lot of work, and my first time actually working in every phase of the process.

I think I could have taken more, but I only brought one pos RTIC with me, and weight was an issue.

I have to say I had a blast, the hosts were awesome, and the experience was one of the best I have had with my fellow eggers.

Worth it.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Anyone that does this knows it is a lot of work, but at the same time it is fun hard work especially when done with friends.  
    Our final tally was somewhere around 210 lbs. In my opinion, that is just about the right amount to be split 5 ways so everyone comes away with a bunch, but not soooo much it is overwhelming not requires everyone to have a spare freezer just for sausage. 

Great job guys! You had fun planning it, executing the plan (you know - handling all your tubes meat), and now it is time to enjoy the final product. Enjoy! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • 20stone
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Anyone that does this knows it is a lot of work, but at the same time it is fun hard work especially when done with friends.  
    Our final tally was somewhere around 210 lbs. In my opinion, that is just about the right amount to be split 5 ways so everyone comes away with a bunch, but not soooo much it is overwhelming not requires everyone to have a spare freezer just for sausage. 

Great job guys! You had fun planning it, executing the plan (you know - handling all your tubes meat), and now it is time to enjoy the final product. Enjoy! 
    That sounds more like it, quantitywise.  It was fun, but I will still be taking a nap, today. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Foghorn
    Options
    If 5 of you pulled off 200+ pounds together then you guys are a bunch of hosses.  In a spirited discussion with our host - fueled by Eagle Rare - last night we talked about maybe doing this again with even more people. We could put some RVs on site for a weekend for lodging easily enough.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I need a nap
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    20stone said:
    Foghorn said:
    SciAggie said:
    @20stone @The Cen-Tex Smoker @caliking @northGAcock This kinda sets a high standard for egghead gatherings, eh?
    Gathering, collaborating, laughing and a few adult beverages is what great lifein is all about. 
    Yeah, that and about 850 sausage links (estimated) for sharing when it’s all done. 
    What is this “sharing” you speak of. 

As for ButtBlast, maybe we should make a bunch on the spot, and see what’s what. 
    Too much work......BB is for playing and eatin. and sleepin
    Forgot that one  B)
  • Foghorn
    Options
    My son and I both made it safely home. We split our share and got stuff to the correct houses. I delivered another share to a team member who had to leave last night. And I have the last share in my car in my Yeti to take to a colleague at work tomorrow.  

Thanks to all who have participated in this and previous AWSS sanctioned events that led to this to make it possible. It was a great weekend. I don’t know when I’ve ever laughed more. And our host was thrilled to see his new meat processing place put through its paces at a near commercial level. 

San Antonio, TX

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    There's the meat!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    My son and I both made it safely home. We split our share and got stuff to the correct houses. I delivered another share to a team member who had to leave last night. And I have the last share in my car in my Yeti to take to a colleague at work tomorrow.  

Thanks to all who have participated in this and previous AWSS sanctioned events that led to this to make it possible. It was a great weekend. I don’t know when I’ve ever laughed more. And our host was thrilled to see his new meat processing place put through its paces at a near commercial level. 
    Thanks for setting it up Dan! 

My sides hurt from laughing, my feet hurt from standing, and my hands hurt from working. I guess we did it right. Great time had by all and some good groceries too! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    I think thats pretty close to an official metric sh!t ton of sausage
    We measured. It is. 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    caliking said:
    I think thats pretty close to an official metric sh!t ton of sausage
    We measured. It is. 
    We wouldn’t have quit before we reached that milestone. 

San Antonio, TX

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    NCSmoky said:
    20stone said:
    Foghorn said:
    SciAggie said:
    @20stone @The Cen-Tex Smoker @caliking @northGAcock This kinda sets a high standard for egghead gatherings, eh?
    Gathering, collaborating, laughing and a few adult beverages is what great lifein is all about. 
    Yeah, that and about 850 sausage links (estimated) for sharing when it’s all done. 
    What is this “sharing” you speak of. 

As for ButtBlast, maybe we should make a bunch on the spot, and see what’s what. 
    Too much work......BB is for playing and eatin. and sleepin
    Forgot that one  B)
    A man has to get proper rest to keep up with this bunch. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • 20stone
    Options
    Foghorn said:

My sides hurt from laughing, my feet hurt from standing, and my hands hurt from working. I guess we did it right. Great time had by all and some good groceries too! 
    I echo the sentiment. I had a blast, and while I am now crippled a little, it is what one expects. Both the AW and SS portions of the weekend were in line with precedent events, so I guess I knew what I was in for. 

By the way, a walk in is a game changer.  
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Foghorn
    Options
    20stone said:
    Foghorn said:

I echo the sentiment. I had a blast, and while I am now crippled a little, it is what one expects. Both the AW and SS portions of the weekend were in line with precedent events, so I guess I knew what I was in for. 

Yep.  A great time was had by all.  Especially our host.

Now that I have survived 3 of these AWSS's, I have finally figured something out.  When others get together to make sausage, for a pork source they get get a bunch of pork shoulder for $1-$2/pound.  When 20stone and Centex decide to make sausage they buy a 500 pound pig for $4/pound. Then we get to do a crapload of work to get to the same place we would be if we'd bought pork shoulders.  That's what takes it to the AWSS level.  

San Antonio, TX

• 20stone
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    20stone said:
    Foghorn said:

Now that I have survived 3 of these AWSS's, I have finally figured something out.  When others get together to make sausage, for a pork source they get get a bunch of pork shoulder for $1-$2/pound.  When 20stone and Centex decide to make sausage they buy a 500 pound pig for $4/pound. Then we get to do a crapload of work to get to the same place we would be if we'd bought pork shoulders.  That's what takes it to the AWSS level.  
    But we get pork that looks like this:

...and you can’t have an AW/SS without the AW
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    If 5 of you pulled off 200+ pounds together then you guys are a bunch of hosses.  In a spirited discussion with our host - fueled by Eagle Rare - last night we talked about maybe doing this again with even more people. We could put some RVs on site for a weekend for lodging easily enough.  
    You are going to wish you Never made mention of that....

Let me know.

You are so screwed.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Foghorn said:
    You are going to wish you Never made mention of that....

Let me know.

You are so screwed.
    Yeah, we'll see.  I'm going to spend some time with our host later this week.  I'll see if he's really up for something like that.  As I explained to him this weekend, we bought a ticket on the crazy train.  Centex and 20stone were the conductors.  He seems like he's on board with taking another ride on the train sometime.

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    20stone said:
    Foghorn said:
    20stone said:
    Foghorn said:

Both true.  

And the fat off of a Mangalitsa mix pig is like butter.

Also, @caliking and @texaswig, as both of you were fans of the ProQ aka "trashcan smoker", I regret to inform you that it gave everything it had to provide us with breakfast bacon, a place to cook samples of our ground sausage for tastetesting before we put it in the casings, elk, bear, and award winning chicken wings throughout the weekend.  As @20stone likes to say "it was amortized".  The fire broke through the bottom of it on its last cook.  

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    20stone said:
    Foghorn said:
    20stone said:
    Foghorn said:

Both true.  

And the fat off of a Mangalitsa mix pig is like butter.

Also, @caliking and @texaswig, as both of you were fans of the ProQ aka "trashcan smoker", I regret to inform you that it gave everything it had to provide us with breakfast bacon, a place to cook samples of our ground sausage for tastetesting before we put it in the casings, elk, bear, and award winning chicken wings throughout the weekend.  As @20stone likes to say "it was amortized".  The fire broke through the bottom of it on its last cook.  
    RIP
  • FarmingPhD
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the pictures and stories, this looks like a lot of fun.  You leave worn out but feeling accomplished.  The facility looks awesome along with the location.  Maybe add a hog hunt to the mix for wild boar sausage on the next round?