Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Homemade Garlic Chili Oil and Dumpling Dipping Sauce

Options
My son turned me on to a YouTube channel from a guy that was the lead line cook at Uchiko here in Austin for a few years. He left Uchiko to build this youtube channel and It's awesome! If you have not heard of Uchiko, give it a google. Best restaurant in Austin in my book and by far the most inventive. Being ead line cook there is a legit culinary accomplishment.

Anyhow, I have proclaimed this year to be "The Year of the Dumpling" for me. I'm going to get weird with dumplings from the dough all the way through. Stay tuned for that adventure, I'll post it all here. I wanted to learn to make the sauces first so these are store my last store bought dumplings before TYOTD goes into effect. Both of these sauces are out of this world. Can't wait to make my own dumplings to go with.

Here is the chili oil recipe and techniques:

Dumpling dipping Sauce recipe:

1tsp white sugar
1Tbsp very hot water (dissolve sugar)
3Tbsp good soy sauce
1Tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
1- Garlic Clove Minced

Here are my results:

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I love be me some dumplings. Good times right there.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    Love that kitchen and cabinetry!
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I’ve been watching him for a while. The cabinet intro is pretty obnoxious, but skipping the first 30 seconds makes them much more tolerable. His baking stuff is quite good, too
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Love that kitchen and cabinetry!

Thank you! Janell designed it from the ground up. It was 3 tiny rooms with a very low ceiling when we bought the house.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Pretty sure I've never had a dumpling. Very sure I've never wanted one. Never seemed appealing. Didn't know they were supposed to have sauces either. I prolly just don't know what I'm missing.

Nice kitchen though!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    really miss the korean grocery down the street, always giant bags of homemade dumplings.  looking forward to the dumpling writeups
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Pretty sure I've never had a dumpling. Very sure I've never wanted one. Never seemed appealing. Didn't know they were supposed to have sauces either. I prolly just don't know what I'm missing.

Nice kitchen though!

Thank you (and you are definitely missing out on the dumplings!) 
    Uchiko in on my short list of places I haven't tried yet in Austin.   Have heard great things.  We really like Wu Chow as well.  Their soup dumplings are pretty damn good.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Nice kitchen though!

Thank you (and you are definitely missing out on the dumplings!) 
    Uchiko in on my short list of places I haven't tried yet in Austin.   Have heard great things.  We really like Wu Chow as well.  Their soup dumplings are pretty damn good.  

we love WuChow. Try Old Thousand on E 11th (right by Franklin). The dumplings (really thier chili oil and their black vinegar sauce) at Old Thousand are what sent me down this path. I want to put as much energy into something new this year as I normally do into grilling/bbq. We had a boozy Sunday brunch at Old Thousand last weekend and with chili oil and vinegar dripping down my chin I was like "this is it! Dumplings!"

And so my quest begins.

And get to Uchiko ASAP. bring your wallet.
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker I have never heard of Old Thousand before but will be putting it on my list.  Boozy Sunday brunches are the best.  I have heard that Uchiko isn't cheap.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    Bitchin Kitchen.... Awesome dipping sauce 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Thank you for sharing.  I definitely had a "life changing dumpling experience" while in college.  My mom and step-father took me to a restaurant.  The dumplings were amazing, but the sauce changed my life.  Can't wait to try this!!

I'll be in Austin the 1st week of Feb. for a convention.  Hopefully I will have a chance to try one of the restaurants listed above!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Chinese Cooking Demystified and School of Wok are also excellent channels for Chinese/Asian cooking.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    And never forget Maangchi for Korean dishes!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I could really get down with TYOTD. They're a staple in our house but I've always been a bit tentative to try and make my own (for no good reason). Looking forward to this! Thanks for sharing!! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    I'm a fan of that YouTube channel as well, minus the intro.  Nice work on the chili oil.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Great video and great job!  Don't get me wrong, just wondering if lightly toasting the spices on CI pan would 'wake up' the flavour even more? 
    edit: love the kitchen too, specially the single bowl sink, we would never go back to double bowl again.
    canuckland
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    smbishop said:
    Thank you for sharing.  I definitely had a "life changing dumpling experience" while in college.  My mom and step-father took me to a restaurant.  The dumplings were amazing, but the sauce changed my life.  Can't wait to try this!!

I'll be in Austin the 1st week of Feb. for a convention.  Hopefully I will have a chance to try one of the restaurants listed above!
    Give me a shout. I’ll play tour guide. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Great video and great job!  Don't get me wrong, just wondering if lightly toasting the spices on CI pan would 'wake up' the flavour even more? 
    edit: love the kitchen too, specially the single bowl sink, we would never go back to double bowl again.
    I think toasting the spices is always a good idea. Good call. I’ll do that next time. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I could really get down with TYOTD. They're a staple in our house but I've always been a bit tentative to try and make my own (for no good reason). Looking forward to this! Thanks for sharing!! 
    We have made plenty of dumplings but we have always used store bought wrappers. Soup dumplings are fun to make too! Can’t wait to do those again with homemade dough. 

It’s not that hard once you learn the pleating techniques. You’ll ruin a few while figuring it out but it gets easier pretty quick. 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Year of Dumpling - great !! Should be a fun follow . . Reminds me of an old VILLAGE IDIOT post - he was the man when I first got my egg and did lots of interesting Asian stuff.  
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Oh man. I'm excited about TYOTD.  

I've made bao  a few times. One sis lived in China for many years and has made dumplings for us. We've dabbled in other things like xiao long bao (actually caliqueen figured that one out). So so much goodness there. 

Can't wait to see the fruits of your endeavors. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Somewhat grounded on the dumplings thing. I remember one of my most favorite meals being chicken and dumplings.

This has my interest for the rest of the year.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Nice 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Ok, I said earlier that I've never had or wanted dumplings. I've spent some time this morning watching people make them and found that they are totally not what I imagined them to be! They look delicious and I have GOT to try some! TYOTD indeed! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Ok, I said earlier that I've never had or wanted dumplings. I've spent some time this morning watching people make them and found that they are totally not what I imagined them to be! They look delicious and I have GOT to try some! TYOTD indeed! 

this is a really good fast food type item. if you can find an asian grocery that makes them a  bag of 50 can be under ten bucks. frozen til needed, steamed, steamed/fried, deep fried. super quick meal. peking raviolis are dumplings, you must have had those at one time
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Your sauce and dumplings look excellent and delish. Thanks for the info on the YouTube channel. The last year or so I delved into dumplings but got busy with other things to cook. You resparked  my interest so thank you.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.