Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Homemade Garlic Chili Oil and Dumpling Dipping Sauce

Options
13»

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Olestra is very low calorie oil (near zero because you can't absorb it). 
    The request was for a low-fat oil, which initially made me giggle.  Are fats directly equivalent to calories?  

Haven't read the Olestra article yet, but I wonder if it is/was used to make Pringles; they give me the same symptoms you listed.  I don't eat them anymore.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Has to be the best post ever. Thank you for sharing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Botch said:
    Olestra is very low calorie oil (near zero because you can't absorb it). 
    The request was for a low-fat oil, which initially made me giggle.  Are fats directly equivalent to calories?  

Haven't read the Olestra article yet, but I wonder if it is/was used to make Pringles; they give me the same symptoms you listed.  I don't eat them anymore.  
    Calorie measurements assume the substance measured is metabolized into energy.  In context of what species is eating said food, there are differences in effective calories. For example, if you or I eat some Traeger pellets we don't get all the available calories because there's mostly fiber.  Termites, on the other hand, can convert the sugars in lignin into glucose.

Tried with dumpling, omg! Thanks centex for sharing.

That looks awesome.I really need to get back in the game. I have not cooked much lately but we are finally getting settled into the new place. I have been cooking on a Weber Jumbo Joe normally reserved for camping trips but it gets the job done. I have not cooked on a BGE since June. That is a record for me since I got my first in 2006. We haven't had our full arsenal of appliances and tools since then either. Lot of take out and wine...and it shows lol
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    Cranked out another batch of chili oil following the video you posted.

PSA
    At the 3:05 mark, pouring the whole pot of boiling oil into the bowl of chili mix could create a scary volcano-like eruption! Don't ask how I know  :)
    My less dramatic approach: Heat the oil to 300F after straining, add chili mix to the hot oil one TB at a time.

Ain't wasting the strained aromatics, great for pho soup which calls for similar aromatics

If you look closely you can see the swirling after the bubbles have just fizzled out, it was fun watching this one TB at a time!

canuckland
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cranked out another batch of chili oil following the video you posted.

PSA
    At the 3:05 mark, pouring the whole pot of boiling oil into the bowl of chili mix could create a scary volcano-like eruption! Don't ask how I know  :)
    My less dramatic approach: Heat the oil to 300F after straining, add chili mix to the hot oil one TB at a time.

Ain't wasting the strained aromatics, great for pho soup which calls for similar aromatics

If you look closely you can see the swirling after the bubbles have just fizzled out, it was fun watching this one TB at a time!
    Sweet! We still have this on hand at all times. My kids ask for it for every food holiday and we make it together when they come home. My niece is a rockstar private chef in San Diego and she made this as part of a gift box she gave out for Christmas gifts this past Christmas. Glad you are enjoying it- we love it too. My kids originally turned me on to the video way back when I posted it here. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    edited January 16
    Options
    Yes, it's addictive. Needless to say, we share it with all the kids.
    That's a great way to bond with your kids when you make it a family activity. Our kids have young family of their own so no more of that for us, when they were younger we used to make dumplings together, just like how they did it in that crazy rich Asian movie, lol.
    Edit2: actually the two older grands have started helping swmbo in the kitchen!
    canuckland
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 940
    Options
    Tonight I tried to order clam cakes and underwear sauce at the Chinese bar (I have a running joke with the owners son) and he said if he produced clam cakes and underwear sauce that I'd have to eat it. I quickly changed it to fried dumplings. Sometimes other people know the best thing for you
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Ybabpmuts said:
    Tonight I tried to order clam cakes and underwear sauce at the Chinese bar (I have a running joke with the owners son) and he said if he produced clam cakes and underwear sauce that I'd have to eat it. I quickly changed it to fried dumplings. Sometimes other people know the best thing for you
    Sometimes other people know the best thing for you

in your case, I have no doubt. 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Kinda forgot about this chili oil recipe.  When I first made it, it was not that common.  Now my WF store carries 7 different kinds, and some ( fly by jing / momofuku ) are pretty good !!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 940
    Options
    Ybabpmuts said:
    Sometimes other people know the best thing for you

in your case, I have no doubt. 
    You can't make a statement like that because you have no idea what I have a case of. I haven't even been to the witches tent yet, to show her where it itches the mostest, mostly because she's poor, has no candles, and it's nighttime. I'll be totally honest, I'm hoping in the morning, on the way to the witches tent I fall into some medicinal shrubbery that clears the case up. I figure half of the scary witches foraging of healing herbs must be before you get to the her tent, and I'm hoping I'm in the right half, as far as shrubbery goes. If I find the right shrubbery, then shortly after I, won't have a case of anything. Standard logic says if there's no case, there's nothing to doubt.