Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It was a sausage making weekend with YukonRon and northGAcock

Options
Last week on Thursday, @YukonRon and @northGAcock showed up at my house for a weekend of making sausage.  We started out with with some hoagies, then we went for a ride to pick up the pork.  We went to a farm where a pig was slaughtered the day before and deboned for our pickup. Talk about fresh!

On the way back to the walk-in fridge where we were going to make the sausage, we stopped by an Amish spice shop to pick up a few last minute spices. (Previously taken picture). 

From there we dropped off the meat in the cooler:

The next morning we did some trimming. We made sure there was no cartlidge and minimized the sinew so we could make the best product possible. Here is @YukonRon getting ready to work on a pork loin and @northGAcock behind him in action. 

About 3 hours later (maybe a little longer) the meat was spread out to firm up as much as possible for grinding. Here was a portion of it:

Then into the grinder

Then seasoning:

We had a bit of fun with the tunes playing courtesy of @northGAcock as we mixed up the Italian (sweet, not-so-hot, and hot), sweet maple, gyro, farmstyle breakfast, kielbasa and onion sausage mixes.

As the seasoned pork sat overnight we dined on some samples cooked on the MiniMax and maybe had an adult beverage or two... 

The next morning we got the casings ready:

Then cased up the sausage.  We made some rope, links, and packaged some in bulk. 

No finished pics showing everything we made, but we ended up with a bunch. It was a great weekend spent with two of the greatest guys I know!
--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Simply awesome brother 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• gonepostal
    Options
    Good times! Nice work
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Awesome, just awesome! Maybe next year! Hope the temps are holding good in the box 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Nothing like waking up and rinsing out pig intestines very first thing in the morning.

Seriously, I learned so much. We were able to turn out close to 200 pounds(?) Of some dang good sausage.

I want to thank our hosts who were able (with medication) were able to put up with Robin and I.

This was an amazing time, had fun, and was treated like a king, in a very beautiful surrounding.

Awesome experience for me. Absolutely worth all the effort and travel to make this event.

Thank you Mark and Valerie, and thanks to the Turpins. A great group of people. Doubt you will find better anywhere.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • FarmingPhD
    Options
    Kielbasa sounds awesome and solid work.  You guys going to smoke any of it?
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Awesome weekend... great job guys!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Man that looks like a lot of fun. Sausage looks awesome too. Great job fellas. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    So very awesome!! I count sausage making with a few eggheads among my finest memories. 

Was @northGAcock able to stay awake long enough?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Kielbasa sounds awesome and solid work.  You guys going to smoke any of it?
    Every time I put it on the egg to cook.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    caliking said:
    So very awesome!! I count sausage making with a few eggheads among my finest memories. 

He rocked. He even had time to charm the amish spice lady at the spice barn. She loved him. I know we would have spent over $200.00 anywhere else for what we bought, but sweet talkin'  Robin got all of that for us, spending just over $20 bux. He is the lady's man.

He deserved the nice long nap.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

This is awesome.....so very close to real.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    No offense or anything, but is that cold, butchering, grinding room with that equipment, ceiling rail system and who knows what else something more than just your back room...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited November 2019
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Awesome, just awesome! Maybe next year! Hope the temps are holding good in the box 
    That f’n cooler was colder than chit!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Wow! Free labor love it!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• northGAcock
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    caliking said:

@caliking.   You tell me....

I was pondering.

• marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    WOW . . . that is some great Comradery with fellow eggheads
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    What a great way to spend the day!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Freakin awesome!!

I worked with my beer club making something like 600 pounds one year....a hellovalotta work, and we got a butcher to grind all the meat...and we had about 20 people.   

wish I was there....

Great post...
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Knowing the three of you and Marks wife Valerie I know it was an Awesome time with great friends, If I said I was jealous it would be an understatement!
    Thanks for sharing the process with all of us.
    Perhaps some of it will make it to the 2020 Butt Blast!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Awesome!!  These are the things I should be doing with my time instead of working.  Super jealous.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • northGAcock
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I would say that was a great weekend. Time spent with good friends making memories. If there were adult beverages involved that’s just a plus. I’m sure the sausage will be fantastic. 
    I am coming to see you one day in Texas my friend.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I would say that was a great weekend. Time spent with good friends making memories. If there were adult beverages involved that’s just a plus. I’m sure the sausage will be fantastic. 
    I am coming to see you one day in Texas my friend.
    You will be most welcome. We will cook and have fun. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Yes it is.  In the mornings, it was cold outside (upper 20’s) and with a breeze.  We kept it running when we got there, ironically, to stay warm.  When it warmed up outside we had the door open, then we would kick it on when it warmed up.  It was plenty cold in that room.
    Everything is running like a top!!
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • northGAcock
    Options
    RRP said:
    No offense or anything, but is that cold, butchering, grinding room with that equipment, ceiling rail system and who knows what else something more than just your back room...
    The cooler is built in the basement of a friend of Marks home. They did a phenomenal job. My favorite feature was the speakers they built in (the ceiling) so as to enjoy a few tunes while doing our grinding and stuffing. So much went into the planning and execution of the build. My hats off to both Mark and his friend.....who's house we were at.