Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I didn't cook it....

Options
....and it wasn't done on an egg.  But good lord, if there's a better breakfast taco out there than the "Real Deal Holyfield" from Valentina's in Austin, by all means let me know. 

Homemade Tortilla
Beans
Potatoes
Fried Egg 
Bacon 
Brisket

https://www.instagram.com/cosmic.armadillo/

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
  • cclarke142
    Options
    You may not have cooked it but I wish I did. 
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    It is the best I have ever had.  Hands down.  I get one every time I am in Austin.  Which is more and more these days.  I sometimes even go more than once.

Midland, TX XLBGE
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Oh yes. I have dreams about the RDH. A breakfast taco on a homemade tortilla is itself worth the trip.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited October 2019
    Options
    That right there might be worth another attempt at brisket (I suck at brisket and haven't tried one in 8-9 years). Hate to ruin such a glorious taco with MY brisket! Maybe I'll use short ribs or even pot roast. Real tempted to try something similar though!

Wonder which is better, this or Franklin's Tipsy Texan? Brisket taco or chopped brisket, sausage and slaw on a bun. Both look awesome!
    20110829-sandwichaday-franklinbbqJPG

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Cosmic_Armadillo
    Options
    It might be blasphemous, but I prefer Valentina's to Franklin. 
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    That taco looks like it should fall under the "Last Meal" category.  Just sinfully delicious looking.  I'm at home sick, have no appetite right now, and have a strong desire to start trying to duplicate that thing.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Wow, that thing looks incredible
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    The Buc-ee’s brisket breakfast taco is no slouch either. 
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    I know that the Real Deal Holyfield is the star of the show, but we always get the Ultimate Bean and Cheese Taco when we go to Valentina's.  Same homemade tortilla, the best homemade refried beans I've ever had, delicious bacon, cheese, a slice of perfectly cooked brisket and homemade salsa.  There's no egg.  Each of the flavors are able to shine through and not be overrun by too much else going on. Miguel, the owner, makes the refried beans with the bacon drippings from all the bacon he cooks for his breakfast tacos.  Bottom line:  Valentina's NEVER disappoints!! 
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    I know that the Real Deal Holyfield is the star of the show, but we always get the Ultimate Bean and Cheese Taco when we go to Valentina's.  Same homemade tortilla, the best homemade refried beans I've ever had, delicious bacon, cheese, a slice of perfectly cooked brisket and homemade salsa.  There's no egg.  Each of the flavors are able to shine through and not be overrun by too much else going on. Miguel, the owner, makes the refried beans with the bacon drippings from all the bacon he cooks for his breakfast tacos.  Bottom line:  Valentina's NEVER disappoints!! 
    Have you had their chorizo and egg?  It’s right up there as well. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Whenever I am working in our lab in Houston, I will stop at Rudy's very early in the morning and gather up a bunch of their breakfast burrito's for the folks in the lab. I am sure there are better, but for convenience, price and a pretty darn good filling breakfast burrito, I like their offer.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    The Buc-ee’s brisket breakfast taco is no slouch either. 
    RDH is the king, but the Hippo from Buc-ees is a great road taco.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Whenever I am working in our lab in Houston, I will stop at Rudy's very early in the morning and gather up a bunch of their breakfast burrito's for the folks in the lab. I am sure there are better, but for convenience, price and a pretty darn good filling breakfast burrito, I like their offer.
    Rudy's is quite good.   We have them cater our work functions routinely because we haven't found a better combination of quality/affordability/availability/consistency.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I had the pleasure of having the RDH this past July when I was in Austin.  That slice of brisket by itself... damn.   If there’s a better breakfast taco anywhere, I’d love to try it.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It might be blasphemous, but I prefer Valentina's to Franklin. 
    I actually got turned on to Valentinas through  comment made by Aaron Franklin. He said he does not eat barbecue much but when he does he goes to Valentinas. they cook over mesquite and wrap Briskets in foil. And it’s all awesome. Just goes to show there is more than one way to do it. love that place. I eat there 10x over franklin as I can walk up and eat very similar quality bbq in 10 minutes. I think I’m headed over there right now. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX