Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT**The Unofficially Official Pizza Thread**OT

Options

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    A pile of future pies  =)

canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,943
    Options
    Simple sausage and pepperoni pie tonight. 
    Your pies are looking better man.  Nice work.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    FYI to any of you that were looking to buy a Pizza Party Ardore or Bollore. They basically doubled the price. The Ardore is now $1,000 and the Bollore is around $1,900. Glad I bought when I did.
    I saw that. Hard to understand their pricing move on the Ardore in particular. Simone (the Pizza Party guy) has said the price is what it is and there won't be any more discounts. If true, I think he's priced himself right out of the smaller, portable gas fired tabletop oven market. With the Ooni Koda available on sale periodically for as little as $249 the market will say "Ciao, Ardore!"
    Still waiting for the Big Ooni, game changing announcement.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    A pile of future pies  =)

How does the sauce do after thawing? I'd love to be able to stash sauce in the freezer and it not be watery when thawed.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Canugghead
    Options
    @ColtsFan Definitely more watery than fresh but passable. It helps that we Vitamix'd the skin and seeds to pulp it up. Also added garlic and garden oregano+thyme.
    canuckland
  • slick_rick
    Options
    Hi All - Had a very solid first pizza experience on my medium each one got better than the last. I heated the egg and the stone at around 500 for about an hour before I threw the first pizza on. We had a quite a few people over so I was planning on making a bunch. After the 3rd pizza or so the temp wouldn't get up to 500 anymore. After a while I figured out I was low on lump. Took everything out and reloaded and after 15 minutes I was ready to go. 

I basically have one question: So heating the stone up for 45 mins to an hour seems to be must for everyone. Would I run into any issues if i had my stone in my oven for an hour and transferred it to a 500 degree egg thats been at 500 for lets say 10 mins? 

I don't wanna run into the same issue again. On the other hand that was our first time and I would imagine we would be much more efficient/faster this time around. 

Let me know what you think?

#mediumproblems

MED - Manhattan
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Hi All - Had a very solid first pizza experience on my medium each one got better than the last. I heated the egg and the stone at around 500 for about an hour before I threw the first pizza on. We had a quite a few people over so I was planning on making a bunch. After the 3rd pizza or so the temp wouldn't get up to 500 anymore. After a while I figured out I was low on lump. Took everything out and reloaded and after 15 minutes I was ready to go. 

I basically have one question: So heating the stone up for 45 mins to an hour seems to be must for everyone. Would I run into any issues if i had my stone in my oven for an hour and transferred it to a 500 degree egg thats been at 500 for lets say 10 mins? 

I don't wanna run into the same issue again. On the other hand that was our first time and I would imagine we would be much more efficient/faster this time around. 

#mediumproblems

How much lump did you load into the egg? When I did pizza on my medium, I loaded the lump all the way up the fire ring. At WOT, I let the egg heat-sink for an hour and that would give 60-90 minutes of cook time.
  • slick_rick
    Options

#mediumproblems

How much lump did you load into the egg? When I did pizza on my medium, I loaded the lump all the way up the fire ring. At WOT, I let the egg heat-sink for an hour and that would give 60-90 minutes of cook time.
    Yea i loaded it about as high as I could go. I probably had it running for around 2 hours before the temp started to drop. Part of the issue could have been about 20 minutes total per pie as the next one was not ready to go as soon as I took the other off. Like I said though we had a lot of people so ended up making 6ish pies. The medium stone doesn’t allow for any massive pies. 
    MED - Manhattan
  • Canugghead
    edited September 2019
    Options
    FWIW, I gave up making pizza in BGE years ago. Figure in 15 years, lump $aving would pay for the Adore, not to mention the pie quality and time saved  =)
    edit: IF it lasts that long, lol!
    canuckland
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Thinking of making a pizza using these sausages from Costco.  I've grilled them whole several times and enjoy them.  Thinking of using a garlic white sauce.  Anyone have a tried and true sauce they would be willing to share?

Image result for costco chicken apple gouda sausage
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• bangor307
    Options
    Wow great pizza!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

The Roccbox NY dough recipe is legit. Great chew and flavor.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    @Carolina Q I made that sauce tonight and used that cheese blend. It was legit. Thanks. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    @Carolina Q I made that sauce tonight and used that cheese blend. It was legit. Thanks. 
    Cool! Glad you liked it! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Blackstone pizza oven for sale again on their website. Looks like you have to buy it as a kit though and doesn’t look to be redesigned.
  • Wanasmoke
    Wanasmoke Posts: 388
    Options
    NY style dough and sauce... Fontana Forni 700 degrees. More pepperoni the better!!

LBGE in Elm Grove, WI
  • Canugghead
    Options
    love the sweet touch.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Dried sausage, blue cheese, mozz, and hot honey.
     Me likey.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options

Dried sausage, blue cheese, mozz, and hot honey.
    That looks incredible! Makes me want to dig the Ardore out of storage and sling some pies
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Leopoldstoch
    Options
    The wife is away traveling so I did the obvious thing and made a pizza for myself:

Nduja, mozz, blue cheese, and hot honey.  God this was good.  You’ve got to try that combo of toppings.
    Looks great!! I’m sure it was delicious!

Brandon - Ohio

• NorthPilot06
    Options
    Nice cook on that crust!  Interesting combo of ingredients - not even sure where to find njuda here locally. 
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...