Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

******OTOTOT SousVide Question OTOTOTOT*****

Options
First off I want to start with apologizing for mostly asking questions and not answering any (your probably better off with out my help I can screw up toast) .

Second. I got a Anova Precision Cooker 900 watts during amazon prime day least year and never took it out of the box until today.

I plugged it in hooked it up to the anova app and doing a test to see how long it takes to get my cooler filled with warm tap water to temp so I can give 10 x 2 1/4" thick dry aged porterhouse steaks a bath tomorrow (Saturday) night.

So here is my question; after I figure out how long the preheat process is going to take and again I have never sous vide before, how long should I leave the 10 x 2 1/4" thick dry aged porterhouse steaks in to make them rare to very rare then Ill char them up on an egg at at least 750 dome temp? The app say I should sousvide at 124 for 1.5-2 hoursAs best I can tell that is the same number whether or not it is 1 steak or 20 steaks. My only concern is cooking at sub 130 is 1.5-2 hours safe for the meat to be out that long with out getting my guest sick. 

I know I probably already know the answer but I have about a grand of steak going on tomorrow night and I would like to not ruin them in fact I would love to wow my guest.

So this is what I have in mind.
1. Preheat cooler to 124 degrees
2. have steaks in vacuum sealed bags with corse salt and pepper (still tossing around the rosemary and garlic not sure if I should or not)
3. Cook steaks at 124 for 1.5 hours
4. about 45 minutes into cook get egg fired up and let it get to 750+ dome temp
5. about 1.25 hours into cook melt some butter on stove and when I take the steaks out of the bag put all juice (I hope there will be some again I never did it so not sure) into butter to pour onto steaks while im searing them on egg
6. Sear steaks about 20 seconds then flip wait another 20 seconds and flip and turn and repeat 1 more time so total time on egg should be less then a minute (mind you 10 steaks might go longer)
7. Serve immediately and pray there good or preferably great

Any info or advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Here is a photo of my cooler on the test run to see how long it takes to get to temp. (I knew not to through away my old cooler after i got the pelicans, that I would use them for something some day)

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP!!!

Long Island NY    
1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    How many quarts is the cooler?
    Thats a lot of water to heat up with a smallish SV machine.
    what temp do you normally cook your steaks?
    this would be the temp I would SV.
    after the SV, pull the steak and pat dry and rest on wire rack for a few minutes before your flaming sear. Your internal temp will not rise with a hot fast sear.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    Darian, It took 1 hour to get the cooler to 124 it just beeped now saying it hit the temp. The cooler is 24"L x 12"W x 16"H Im questing 75 Qts. 
    I normally pull my steaks off at 115 when I do a reverse sear and then bring egg up to 750+ and then put steaks back on for about 2 minutes (1 minute each side)
    Should I only be cooking the steaks at 115 instead of 124?
    Long Island NY    
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    Low temps in a SV is totally safe, especially for two hours.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • mlc2013
    Options
    Ok @Photo Egg  just read your post again. Got it I will only cook 1.5 hours at 124 then sear being the IT should raise that fast on a quick sear when I normally cook my steaks reversed sear after I pull them from the 2 minutes of searing they are sitting between 125-135
    I left out the pat dry part above yes I plan on doing that as well

Long Island NY    
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    Darian, It took 1 hour to get the cooler to 124 it just beeped now saying it hit the temp. The cooler is 24"L x 12"W x 16"H Im questing 75 Qts. 
    I normally pull my steaks off at 115 when I do a reverse sear and then bring egg up to 750+ and then put steaks back on for about 2 minutes (1 minute each side)
    Should I only be cooking the steaks at 115 instead of 124?
    With SV, you get NO carry over rise in temp.
    115 would virtually be raw, IMO.
    But if you are wanting very rare that might be your number 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Please post pics of all those steaks! You got this!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    The thick ribeye above was cooker SV at 134 for 4-5 hours. Short rest and sear. It was still more rare than medium rare.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I usually go closer to 4 hours on thicker steaks 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• mlc2013
    Options
    maybe ill bump to 129 being a porter house its not a fatty a cut as a ribeye is where imo ribeyes taste better closer to 135-145 porterhouses I normally like rare at 130-135. Have you ever tried adding rosemary or garlic to the bag?

Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Options
    GoooDawgs will try but whenever there is a big crowd the photos are always forgotten. But please try ands visualize this. My friends and I are trying to recreate our last dinner party at Peter Lugers steak house so here is the menu
    butcher bacon app
    shrimp cocktail app
    tomato cucumber salad on fresh mozzarella and toasted cranberry walnut bread
    Porterhouse steak for 2 pp
    creamed spinach
    german baked potato 
    apple pie
    homemade schlaag

Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Options
    milesvdustin recipe says 1-1.5 hours and not to cook for longer then 2 hours am i missing something?

Long Island NY    
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I run SV at 129 for 1-1 1/2hrs then sear in hot fire.  No need to be crazy hot. I don’t like the crust on a steak from a 700 plus fire.  

Make sure the steak has been patted dry before you sear.  Moist meat won’t make a good crust. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    I run SV at 129 for 1-1 1/2hrs then sear I’m hot fire.  No need to be crazy hot. I don’t like the crust on a steak from a 700 plus fire.  

Make sure the steak has been patted dry before you sear.  Moist meat won’t make a good crust. 
    This
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    Also, agree with the 1.5 hour sentiment. If you too long you will get an unexpected change in texture
  • NorthPilot06
    edited August 2019
    Options
    My 0.02 - I would salt prior to the sear. Would hate to extract too much moisture during the SV because you salted too early. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    did strips last weekend at 125 for 4 hours, let them cool for about 15 minutes on a rack, dried them good, added more salt then seared. i think i could of sous vided a little lower in temp but they were good and more tender than without. under 131 degrees i dont go over 4 hours. in the bag. they were salted, added fresh thyme, and rosemary sprigs, pretty much sold on those three ingredients in the bag for a steak
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    125-130° for no more than 2 hours. I’ve done 18-2” thick ribeyes before. No sweat. I had to sear them in batches without overcooking them whilst searing
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    I think that anybody new to sous vide will be doing themselves a favor by doing some reading on food safety.
    Low temps can be fine for some purposes and with some foods but there is a relationship between temp/time/thickness and the destruction (or at least serious reduction) of pathogens.
    A good resource for this discussion is Douglas Baldwin's book or his website - https://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Safety

One factor that might be worthy of consideration is when you add lots of steaks (somewhere between fridge to room temp I assume) to your cooler they will likely drop the bath temp by a few degrees. Might want to have a big pot of boiling water at the ready to pour into the cooler and stir around to take some of the load off your one Anova circulator to get it back up to temp if you are trying to adhere to a tight schedule.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    Options
    Way too much water for a couple of steaks. When I'm cooking a couple of steaks, I use a 12 quart container (stock pot, dutch oven, etc.). If I'm doing more, I have an 18 quart and a 4.75 gallon container.

Second, 124F is a little more than rare to medium rare. I usually cook rare steaks to 120 or 121 then sear on the egg.

Once in the water bath, I cook them for 2 to 3 hours. If they are frozen, I short for the longer time.
  • mlc2013
    Options
    dannys unfortunately it is the smallest thing I have that fits 10 steaks steaks will be coming out of the fridge hopefully the single anova can handle it if not ill figure something out not on a time crunch so i have a little wiggle room

Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Options
    HeavyG going to read that book thanks for the suggestion
    Long Island NY    
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    dannys unfortunately it is the smallest thing I have that fits 10 steaks steaks will be coming out of the fridge hopefully the single anova can handle it if not ill figure something out not on a time crunch so i have a little wiggle room

Once the water is up to temp the Anova will handle it just fine since it is an insulated container.
    The only other thing I would do is to just manually stir around the steaks/water a few times while they're in the tub. With just the one Anova in the corner and all those steaks in the tub the water won't as freely circulate as it might in a smaller container with just a couple or three steaks. The temp may not vary much from one end to the other but anything you can do to keep the temp as even throughout the container will help in providing consistency among your steaks.
    Have fun!!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• mlc2013
    Options
    HeavyG I might borrow a friends anova as well if time permits to put one on each side of cooler

Long Island NY    
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    edited August 2019
    Options
    My anova runs a cooler that size no problem , I would set it in the middle not the corner 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    Yes to the Rosemary. We love it in our Sous vide steaks!!!
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • mlc2013
    Options
    This is the steaks before I vacuum seal them

Here I go another cook i learned on this forum lets see if I can do it justice

Okay got the 10 babies in the tub lets see what happens in the next hour. I went naked in the bag ill season when I take them out Ive always been a slat and pepper guy on steak so I didn't want to try something else different when Im already trying this sousvide thing.
    Long Island NY    
  • dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    Options
    mlc2013 said:

I missed that you are cooking 10 steaks. In that case, you are correct in using to cooler and that amount of water.

You are also pretty brave doing this for you first cook. I would have tried a couple of cooks before doing 10.
  • mlc2013
    Options
    dannys i only do things one way and that's go big or go home. Whats the worst that can happen, People can say that was the worst meal ever and never come to my house to eat again (still trying to find the bad in that) or a few people get food poisoning and never come to my house to eat again (that seems like I can make fun of them as well as to have to cook for them again). I figure i have way to much other things to do I didnt want to baby sit 10 steaks on the grill so Ill give it the old college try and see what happens

Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Options
    is it a good idea to plan on changing the location of the steaks every 15-20 minutes or so as to let the water circulate better around them and to flip the steaks laying on the bottom of the cooler or is the water all encompassing and doing its job and I should just leave alone

Long Island NY