Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fish sauce & hamburgers

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,893
edited July 2019 in EggHead Forum
Not too long ago there was a post about upping your hamburgers by using fish sauce. Finally today I was able to find some. But now I can't seem to locate any current posting. 

What is the recommended amount to add? And is it topical or mixed in?

TIA
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Don't remember how much I used... whatever Little Chef recommended. Noticed no difference at all and never used it again. Adds a ton of sodium, but no flavor. Tastes like a burger. Still have most of a bottle of Three Crabs.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    I believe it was 1 Tbs of fish sauce and 1 Tbs soy sauce per lb of ground beef.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    this goes back to the early days of this place. I remember VI and tweev talking about it back in the day. I don't measure but what woodbutcher is saying sounds right. I have moved to liquid aminos on burgers for the most part but I still use fish sauce from time to time. I did it last week and it was fantastic.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've tried them a few times, and thought it was an improvement. I used a bit more, about 1 tsp per quarter pounder. It was mixed into the ground meat.

If sodium is a concern, ground dried mushroom mixed w. a bit of water can offer a good umami boost
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Don't remember how much I used... whatever Little Chef recommended. Noticed no difference at all and never used it again. Adds a ton of sodium, but no flavor. Tastes like a burger. Still have most of a bottle of Three Crabs.
    No offence, I find 3 Crabs crappy. I recommend Red Boat 40° N. 
    canuckland
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    No offence, I find 3 Crabs crappy. I recommend Red Boat 40° N. 
    None taken. 3 crabs was also Michelle's recommendation. =) Heard later that Red Boat was the best. Was so unimpressed with 3 crabs, I never bothered with another.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    I use Prepared Fish Sauce , more like a Dipping sauce, in recipes you can make it with the fish sauce you have....Straight Fish Sauce can be a bit strong especially low end fish sauce 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
     I prefer some lea and perrins. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    1 TBLS per pound 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I believe this was the recipe I have seen referenced in previous posts (Umami burger):
    https://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/best-umami-hamburger-recipe/#wprm-recipe-container-36649

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• EggerPalmerATL
    Options
    I will have to try the fish sauce. If you’ve never tried Allegro marinade, it’s really good in burgers as well as on a steak.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Add MSG...less sodium.  Salt screws up the texture of a burger, makes it have a sausage texture because the salt causes the proteins to bind.  There is a study on this but others have seen it and I feel lazy.
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Kenji shot meatballs out of a potato gun to prove the point. Leave the salt for the surface of the burger, and only at the very last minute. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    I will have to try the fish sauce. If you’ve never tried Allegro marinade, it’s really good in burgers as well as on a steak.
    Have you ever tried it as part of a brisket braise?  Killer.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Have you ever tried it as part of a brisket braise?  Killer.
    That's how you do it
    Options
    Thanks for the replies - so I gather all I can expect is that it will merely make the burgers taste more salty? and no head slapping "WOWSER this is a GREAT burger"?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    RRP said:
    Thanks for the replies - so I gather all I can expect is that it will merely make the burgers taste more salty? and no head slapping "WOWSER this is a GREAT burger"?
    If you can taste the salt from the fish sauce, you may not taste the fish sauce but there should be some umami flavor, which is subtle, so probably not "WOWSER" level.  The addition of umami from the fish sauce is offset by the sausage texture, IMHO, and there are better options for umami with less salt, like straight msg, or toppings, sauce or other external things.

That said, I love fish sauce.  Red boat 40 N 4-evah!
    Options
    1+ on Red Boat. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    RRP said:
    I haven't actually done the burgers, but I have used fish sauce in other beef dishes and it adds a lot of flavor. It is like Worcestershire sauce on steroids. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    caliking said:
    Could we be overthinking this? Its a burger... once you add in toppings/condiments, does it really make that much of a difference? I dunno...

In my own experience, a good bun really elevates a burger. Homemade bun instead of the squishy store stuff. And pimento cheese, instead of regular cheese, for the win.
    LOL - bet you are correct! At this point I can't return that bottle...so how should dispose of it instead of using in burgers? 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Ron, give it a try. It's not gonna hurt anything. You might love it. If not, it's just a burger.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Marinate some thin sliced onions in it, pile them on burger.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    If I wanted a fishy burger wouldn't I just make a salmon burger?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• FlyOverCountry
    Options
    Yuck!  That stuff smells like kaka!  If I wanted fish instead of cow I’d be a vegan!
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    If you add enough to make it taste like fish you have added way too much.

Fish sauce is made from anchovies and salt.  Worcestershire sauce is anchovy fish sauce that is sweetened and has a few spices added.  You can use fish sauce anywhere you think worcestershire could be used - Stews and soups, meatloaf, bbq sauces, bloody marys, Caesar dressing, stir fry, and anywhere you want to amp up the savory aspect to a dish.  Compensate for the salt in the sauce and add less salt directly.  The purpose is to up the savory undertones of the dish, not to taste the sauce itself.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    RRP said:
    caliking said:
    Could we be overthinking this? Its a burger... once you add in toppings/condiments, does it really make that much of a difference? I dunno...

In my own experience, a good bun really elevates a burger. Homemade bun instead of the squishy store stuff. And pimento cheese, instead of regular cheese, for the win.
    LOL - bet you are correct! At this point I can't return that bottle...so how should dispose of it instead of using in burgers? 
    add two tablespoonsfish sauce to this marinade, add sauteed kimchi to the toppings list. dig out your blackstone

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bclarksicle
    bclarksicle Posts: 167
    Options
    Fish sauce is massively under utilized in western cuisine. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    if your supermarket has frozen pot stickers, make this dipping sauce. the lime leaves are not needed

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it