Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    edited June 2019
    Options
    TIL that it is illegal in most states, mine included, to remove or relocate a bird's nest, particularly if there are baby birds present.  I have a heavily wooded lot.  Why couldn't they build the nest in the trees instead of under my back deck???  That d@mn constant early morning and early evening chirping will continue to drive me crazy.  Literally can't wait for these chicks to 'fly the nest'. *sigh*
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    just found out a neighbor passed away this winter, went down into the cellar to check on the dug well, fell head first.  mind blowing it took this long for someone to say something

did they just now find him?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    smokingal said:
    TIL that it is illegal in most states, mine included, to remove or relocate a bird's nest, particularly if there are baby birds present.  I have a heavily wooded lot.  Why couldn't they build the nest in the trees instead of under my back deck???  That d@mn constant early morning and early evening chirping will continue to drive me crazy.  Literally can't wait for these chicks to 'fly the nest'. *sigh*
    Speeding is illegal too.... just don’t get caught. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    smokingal said:
    My wife is super pi$$ed at a bird who built a nest in the flower box in front of the dining room window.  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Just borrow a cat for a few hours and the bird problem will likely be no more. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    just found out a neighbor passed away this winter, went down into the cellar to check on the dug well, fell head first.  mind blowing it took this long for someone to say something

did they just now find him?
    was a couple days max,  plow guy saw the car covered in snow and thought it odd and went looking
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    a friend dropped by with a wood duck box, should have it on the tree over the water this weekend. i like the birds nesting in the yard =) so doesnt the bird dog =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,657
    Options
    @smokingal, every time I open a barn door or fire up equipment that has been sitting bird nests fall out or get tossed out. 
      I can understand not disrupting birds nests in the woods, or even allowing a protected species to nest on your deck.... anyways I think I made my point.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Birds > Cats
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    Have had a couple carolina wrens building a nest INSIDE our garage in a rolled up rope we have on a shelf in there.  Little birds that have a very loud, melodious call.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    smokingal said:
    The birds are Starlings right? Sounds like Starlings to me, wink wink?
    Starlings aren't a protected species so you can do what you want with them.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• thetrim
    Options
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Acn
    Options

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,657
    Options
    Don’t get me started on starlings!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:

Got a coupla mini cooks in over the weekend. Nothing too exciting, but it was nice to fire it up.

Atta-boy big daddy. Hope all is well in Dyal land.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:

Got a coupla mini cooks in over the weekend. Nothing too exciting, but it was nice to fire it up.

Yes sir!  That looks yummy! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Acn
    Options
    Acn said:

Final plate...

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,098
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:

I think you could call that a trifectaaaaaa!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Ignoring the 400 posts I'm behind.  No ill will.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Thank you for alleviating the boredom brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @lousubcap My neighbors are the reason I have 3 cats at any given time hanging out in my backyard.  They are as useless for chasing away anything as any of the cats I had growing up.  I watched as a mouse literally ran smack dab into my cat's front paws.  He just sat and watched as the freaked out creature scurried away and then curled into a ball, tucked his head into his chest, and started his 5th nap of the day.

@alaskanassasin @HeavyG Point taken.  I'll verify that there are indeed baby birds present.  If not, the nest will accidentally be knocked over during this week's lawn maintenance ordeal.  If so, then I'll deal with it when they leave the nest.  I don't need bad karma for offing baby birds.

It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @smokingal My experience with cats covers the spectrum.  I have one who is an inside cat and doesn't hunt; one who delivers a hunting souvenir around once a month or so and then there's the hunter-killer.  He (all are rescue "its") brings something around once every ten days or so and some times a daily double; mice, moles, birds, chipmunks but as you note all are different.  Good luck.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    Options
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,343
    Options
    More of this 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!