Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buffalo Wings Hot Sauce Experiment

1voyager
1voyager Posts: 1,157
edited June 2019 in Poultry
My usual hot sauce for Buffalo Wings is warm butter and Frank's Red Hot. IMHO, Frank's and butter is Buffalo Wing perfection but I tried an alternate version: Frank's Red Hot, butter, molasses and honey. The taste was OK but there was no heat. I want my Buffalo Wings sauce to be screaming, spicy heat. This alternative, although tasty, was blah.

A couple of pics:

S&P overnight, uncovered in the fridge. This is 60 minutes @ 400 degrees, raised direct:

This is the result after drowned in the alternative sauce. The color and texture were great but no thank-you to the lack of heat.

BTW - Boss Lady didn't like the sauce, so she made a quick batch of the Frank's and butter only version. 

Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I am a Franks and butter guy myself. My second favorite is Texas Pete and butter. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Frank's and Butter here......BUT if you like your hot sauce , give lactofermentatoin a shot and make your own
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Add cayenne or ground habanero to your mix.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    I love butter and kill sauce  habanero  To toss my wings in.  It will put hair on your chest and burn it off your backside on the way out.   
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• smittydog27
    smittydog27 Posts: 100
    I use Frank's Wing Sauce and puree garlic into it. 
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I did this recipe and made a thread on it. Check it out, I loved it and have used several times since

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1216436/i-just-made-the-best-wings-i-have-ever-had#latest
    Boom
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    If you like hot, why did you add sweet ingredients? I normally don’t think of molasses and honey when I want “screaming hot”. 
  • 1voyager
    Good question. I was looking for a bit of sweet taste but still a lot of heat. Seemed workable to me but obviously, it didn't. No big deal. I warmed-up the rest of the wings today for lunch and went back to butter and Frank's only. No more experimenting on enhancing a recipe that's perfect as is.
  • DoubleEgger
    edited June 2019
    1voyager said:
    Good question. I was looking for a bit of sweet taste but still a lot of heat. Seemed workable to me but obviously, it didn't. No big deal. I warmed-up the rest of the wings today for lunch and went back to butter and Frank's only. No more experimenting on enhancing a recipe that's perfect as is.
    Try some Lane’s One Legged Chicken if you find you want to experiment again. 
  • keener75
    keener75 Posts: 392
    YES! One Legged Chicken is my favorite by a mile! Combined with Lanes SPF 53 or Meat Church's Fajita dry rubs.
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
  • DoubleEgger
    keener75 said:
    YES! One Legged Chicken is my favorite by a mile! Combined with Lanes SPF 53 or Meat Church's Fajita dry rubs.
    Try DP Jamaican Firewalk with One Legged Chicken.  
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Always used the four parts Franks, two parts butter, one part sugar Buffalo Sauce formula. For those who want more heat, add some other insane hot sauce, the local Pepper palace has lots to choose from. I understand your lack of heat issue, when we have non-heat lovers in the house I dilute the original Buffalo Hot Sauce with some Sweet Baby Rays, it mixes well and can be added at the last minute. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • ANDY_USMC
    ANDY_USMC Posts: 33
    I always struggle with wings... I can’t seem to crisp them enough
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    franks butter and habanero powder for me, habanero seems to round out the flavor for me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DoubleEgger
    ANDY_USMC said:
    Corn starch is your friend...
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    I'm with you on the tried and true Red Hot and Butter. I doctor it up a bit with some other seasonings if I feel like it, but that's basically it.
    I was in a pinch Memorial Day though and used the Red Hot Wing Sauce that comes all mixed up...  that stuff is good! They also sell a "hot" version, but the stock version was spicy enough for most of my guests (some complained, some raved).
    LBGE/Maryland
  • ANDY_USMC
    ANDY_USMC Posts: 33
    ANDY_USMC said:
    Corn starch is your friend...
    Please explain... sorry I’m new to this
  • 1voyager
    edited June 2019
    ANDY_USMC said:
    @ANDY_USMC Here is a link to a post that explains what I do. Great results every time.  Game Day Wings
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    We have one that we both like a ton, but on occasion will experiment as well with 3 or 4 different sauces with a big wing cook. Btw...i like the audible your wife pulled. Sounds familiar!
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Always used the four parts Franks, two parts butter, one part sugar Buffalo Sauce formula. For those who want more heat, add some other insane hot sauce, the local Pepper palace has lots to choose from. I understand your lack of heat issue, when we have non-heat lovers in the house I dilute the original Buffalo Hot Sauce with some Sweet Baby Rays, it mixes well and can be added at the last minute. 
    They closed the local pepper palace over here, but their garlic buffalo may be my favorite wing sauce ever. Their Caribbean jerk was great too
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    They closed the local pepper palace over here, but their garlic buffalo may be my favorite wing sauce ever. Their Caribbean jerk was great too
    Went by my local Pepper Palace today and it too is gone! should have stocked up earlier. Ghost flakes are awesome or killer depending on how much adult beverage I’ve enjoyed. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Jonnysouth
    Jonnysouth Posts: 162
    Anyone using Cattleman’s Sweet Carolina Gold? I’ve been a fan of that on wings. I’m going to have to try some of these other options and see how they are. My wife is basically no heat, I enjoy nice heat with flavor but no suicide heat.
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    ANDY_USMC said:
    Try added some baking powder to your rub... 1tsp per tbl will help crisp up that skin.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    ANDY_USMC said:
    have you put them on a rack in the fridge overnight? that'll help 
    Boom