Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options

Polishing off a couple of ribs I roasted the other day. 
    Power meal.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    Botch said:
    Several of you have sung the praises of Honey-Baked Hams, so tonight I stopped in with a $3 coupon after work. I SO hope the cute, young lady was on her first day, heck her first 10 minutes, of her first job. She scanned my purchase, and I held two $20's in one hand and change in the other.

Her: That'll be $31.81, please.
    Me: (handing her two twenties) Hang on, I have $0.81.
    Her: Oh, you're fine, you have two twenties.
    Me: Yeah, but I can give you eighty-one cents....
    Her: You're fine, these two twenties cover it.
    Me: Uhhh..
    The clerk next to her started to say something, but retreated.

Somewhere, in the distance, a dog barked. 
    Then, THEN, my clerk gives me eight dollar bills, a dime, and NINE pennies! And there were nickels in the drawer!!!!
    Maybe kids these days pay for everything with their phone, and can't make change, I dunno. I have something odd to be thankful for, this year.
    Oof-dah.  
    I like giving them a penny or two to make the change even and watching the person crumble on the inside trying to figure it out. Seriously, it's basic math...it's easier these days to just swipe my card 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    You guys carry cash?
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    They’re not being taught how to register.  I did well in math, but when I hit a register the first time at 15 I was deer in the headlights.  Owner gave me a 5 min lesson on how to handle cash and give change - and it wasn’t entering what they gave you into the register and letting tell you how much change.  Nobody is showing these kids how to do it easily.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    You guys carry cash?
    Absolutely - there are some purchases that are best not disclosed (joint accounts across the board) and then there are those that are best conducted under the radar.  Whatever works for you. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    You guys carry cash?
    Having my card compromised gets old. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    You guys carry cash?
    Having my card compromised gets old. 
    Only card I’ve ever had a problem with is my work T&E.  Took 8 months to get straight 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Botch I drove through Chick Fil A today and handed the kid my credit card and 5 dimes. I said “I need 2 quarters back please”

i wish I would have filmed it. He was like “you wanna pay $.50 and then run your card?”  No, I want you to open the drawer and give me 2 quarters in exchange for those dimes. “Sir this isn’t going to cover 1/4 of the cost”

That new age math is confusing the $hit out of these little mouth breathers. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited November 2018
    Options
    You guys carry cash?
    Funny story, I was just asked by a stranger if I had a couple dollars to spare.

I stopped at the grocery store after work to pick up a turkey with a .68/lb coupon. Limit 1 turkey. So I went and bought my turkey. The problem is that I needed two. I didn't want to be that guy who buys a turkey and walks right back in and buys another. So I figured I'd go later tonight. So I drive back to the grocery store tonight and park next an older SUV. I check my fantasy football score on my phone for a few seconds. During this short pause I hear a voice coming from the SUV next to me. "Excuse me, can I borrow a couple dollars? My credit card was declined when getting groceries inside and now I have no way to buy gas to get back to Hastings." (Hastings is a smaller town 40 minutes East of us) I said, "Sorry ma'am I don't have any cash." Then I started to roll my widow up. My window maybe went up a half inch before my conscience got to me. "I said ma'am I don't have any cash but if you follow me over to the gas station I'll throw in $10 for you." So we drive over to the gas station and I go inside to prepay $10 for her pump. Once getting back outside I see her son or boyfriend start asking other people for money at the pumps. Dang it!

I'm pretty sure I got suckered out of my $10. Now my .68/lb turkey turned into full price with my $10 in gas. It's not my conscious if they weren't telling the truth. Maybe they needed the $10. Even if the turkey is full price it's going to be smoked and given to a family in need. 

Moral of the story....I'm a sucker who doesn't carry cash but would be more than happy to put it on my credit card for you!  :o
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    A few weeks ago I did have some cash.  Was approached outside the liquor store.  Gave the dude some cash.  He followed me in and bought beer.  I hope he spent the rest on food.  I shoulda just bought his beer.  
  • ColtsFan
    Options
    You guys carry cash?
    Hey, cash just got me an XL and integrated nest for less than I paid for my 1st large 3 years ago. Cash is king 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    You guys carry cash?
    Hey, cash just got me an XL and integrated nest for less than I paid for my 1st large 3 years ago. Cash is king 
    Paying cash and routinely carrying cash are fundamentally different 
  • ColtsFan
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    You guys carry cash?
    Paying cash and routinely carrying cash are fundamentally different 
    I can accept that. Lol

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    You not cash I’m carrying is @bgebrent payment for Weller 12
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Did @bgebrent peace out?

@WeberWho you will sleep well tonight knowing you tried to help someone, they have to live with who they are 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    You guys carry cash?
    Funny story, I was just asked by a stranger if I had a couple dollars to spare.

I stopped at the grocery store after work to pick up a turkey with a .68/lb coupon. Limit 1 turkey. So I went and bought my turkey. The problem is that I needed two. I didn't want to be that guy who buys a turkey and walks right back in and buys another. So I figured I'd go later tonight. So I drive back to the grocery store tonight and park next an older SUV. I check my fantasy football score on my phone for a few seconds before I planned on exiting my truck. During this short pause I hear a voice coming from the SUV next to me. "Excuse me, can I borrow a couple dollars? My credit card was declined when getting groceries inside and now my card isn't going to get me home as I need gas to get back to Hastings." Which is a smaller town 40 minutes East of us. I said, "Sorry ma'am I don't have any cash." Then I started to roll my widow up. My window maybe went up a half inch before my conscience got to me. "I said ma'am I don't have any cash but if you follow me over to the gas station I'll throw in $10 for you." So we drive over to the gas station and I go inside to prepay $10 for her pump. Once getting back outside I see her son or boyfriend start asking other people for money at the pumps. Dang it!

I'm pretty sure I got suckered out of my $10. Now my .68/lb turkey turned into full price with my $10 in gas. It's not my conscious if they weren't telling the truth. Maybe they needed the $10. Even if the turkey is full price it's going to be smoked and given to a family in need. 

Moral of the story....I'm a sucker who doesn't carry cash but would be more than happy to put it on my credit card for you!  :o
    You're not a sucker, @WeberWho.  You're a great person in a sucky world.  
    I don't know what to think anymore.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Wondering how my parents can find such insane deals. They shop estate sales all the time. Dad bought a hasty bake suburban 414 for $50 bucks. Barely used. Idiots selling it must not have had a clue what they had there.
    Your parents obviously aren't as good as @DMW
    Ok, now you gotta elaborate.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Wondering how my parents can find such insane deals. They shop estate sales all the time. Dad bought a hasty bake suburban 414 for $50 bucks. Barely used. Idiots selling it must not have had a clue what they had there.
    This was before your time here.
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1174373/hasty-bake-score-what-would-you-do

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    DMW said:
    This was before your time here.
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1174373/hasty-bake-score-what-would-you-do

Ok yep that’ll do it.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Botch said:
    WeberWho said:
    You guys carry cash?
    You're not a sucker, @WeberWho.  You're a great person in a sucky world.  
    I don't know what to think anymore.  
    Hey thanks. I'm only out $10 if they really didn't need it and I'm going to bed with a  clear conscience. Plus I've spent $10 in much more stupid ways before. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Legume said:
    They’re not being taught how to register.  I did well in math, but when I hit a register the first time at 15 I was deer in the headlights.  Owner gave me a 5 min lesson on how to handle cash and give change - and it wasn’t entering what they gave you into the register and letting tell you how much change.  Nobody is showing these kids how to do it easily.
    They only get shown how to press icons / scan barcodes and let the machine do the maths. Nothing like working in a busy bar with a manual till to get your mental arithmetic up to speed.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    You guys carry cash?
    Absolutely - there are some purchases that are best not disclosed (joint accounts across the board) and then there are those that are best conducted under the radar.  Whatever works for you. 
    I always thought you were the guy who kept things under the sonar. Huh. 😜
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I always carry and pay for most purchases with cash.  Last night paid for my pizza with it and the clerk was surprised......like it's a novelty now.  I like watching their reaction.....I think millennials are grossed out touching it.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    I always carry and pay for most purchases with cash.  Last night paid for my pizza with it and the clerk was surprised......like it's a novelty now.  I like watching their reaction.....I think millennials are grossed out touching it.
    And yet they have zero problem touching their iPhone screen after they just exploded the toilet.

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Trial run...

That looks really good.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Trial run...

That's looks more like the real deal run.  

Do you fix the meal before for practice? 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited November 2018
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Trial run...

That's looks more like the real deal run.  

Do you fix the meal before for practice? 

We get a few turkeys every year from mine and my wife's work, so we always do a pre-thanksgiving meal with just the wife and kids the weekend before the real deal with the extended family. It gives me time to hone my own recipes instead of having to use my mothers. God bless her canned sweet potatoes... but I can do better.   
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave