Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    thetrim said:
    FWIW, tomorrow is National Nacho Day!  I’m on the road, so I can’t cook anything, but I would happily vote if some has a Nacho Day throwdown. 
    Each Sunday when making the grocery list I let each of the kiddos pick a dinner meal for the week then SWMBO picks one then I pick one. Kiddo # 1's pick for Tuesday? Just happened to be Nachos. Though I won't be throwing down anything. Aint much to them, Fajita chicken, cheese, and jalapenos. Simple, easy, and delicious.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• NC_Egghead
    Options
     We pulled 20 Supers yesterday, I bought a 18 frame extractor so that should help with efficiency however we are still talking 350-400 pints of honey... my new plan is to process into 5 gallon buckets then bottle as needed rather than bottling same day.
    You ever consider making mead? 
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
     We pulled 20 Supers yesterday, I bought a 18 frame extractor so that should help with efficiency however we are still talking 350-400 pints of honey... my new plan is to process into 5 gallon buckets then bottle as needed rather than bottling same day.
    Make sure it’s an autumnal mead!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Make sure it’s an autumnal mead!
    Haha, well played.
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Also, mead is delicious.

Edit: Mead with a low specific gravity.  I've had some sugary mead in the day.
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Gruel.....you should make gruel. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Prepping for smash burgers. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Would it be Autumnal? 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited November 2018
    Options
    My mom asked me to make wings for some meeting she was going to tonight.  So we made her some wings.  Started with 60, but she sampled the product.  :lol:

I need a bigger fryer. 
    I use and highly recommend this one brother yolk. If you never take my advice again, trust me on this one. It’s the R41 of fryers.  
    https://cajunfryer.com/shop/ff6-17-gallon-6-basket-fryer/

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    SGH said:
    My mom asked me to make wings for some meeting she was going to tonight.  So we made her some wings.  Started with 60, but she sampled the product.  :lol:

I need a bigger fryer. 
    I use and highly recommend this one brother yolk. If you never take my advice again, trust me on this one. 
    https://cajunfryer.com/shop/ff6-17-gallon-6-basket-fryer/
    Well, Thea definitely bigger.  

Amy is disputing the fact that I NEED a bigger fryer, but what does she know?  I say that because she doesn’t read the forum. 
  • SGH
    Options
    Amy is disputing the fact that I NEED a bigger fryer, but what does she know?  I say that because she doesn’t read the forum. 
    Do like I did. Buy it and wrap it up as a Christmas gift to her. Problem solved. You can usually get away with this a couple of times before they catch on =)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Pretty sure that ship has sailed
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    There were a few posts a couple of years ago about the relative (in the eyes of the beholder) merits of a full-up tricked out vacuum cleaner for a Xmas gift-he may have recovered by now.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Pretty sure that ship has sailed
    If that be the case, you could always raise “the big hand”.  I hear that it works wonders ;)

Before anyone gets bent out of shape, I’m only kidding (joking) above. I have never raised “the big hand” toward a woman. Nor do I recommend that anyone does it. 

Status- Standing by.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    @GATraveller - I saw a truly failed chorizo cook on a stick burner that looked like that yesterday.  First time attempt at armadillo eggs with chorizo instead of hot sausage as the binder.  My sculpted creations failed miserably and it was a total melt-down as the high grease content failed to hold the shape.  Live and learn. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Here we go!

....so that uses centrifugal force to remove honey, but not enough where the wax flies out?

Good question! There are two configurations that I know of.
     My previous extractor was Tangential so yes as you can imagine the force put on a frame was substantial, especially if you had mostly extracted one side, the weight of the honey on the inside of the frame could cause blowouts if your not careful.    With that type of extractor you can only spin the honey out of one side of the frame at a time.

With the radial setup the force is straight down the frame so I can crank it up to around 500rpm without blowouts as well as extract both sides of the frame at a time!

My previous setup extracted two frames at a time and was powered by a dewalt drill. I think this new setup is 3 phase with a inverter so variable speed and reversible also 18 frames in a single pass.

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• NC_Egghead
    Options

Yes been making Mead for years, as well as melomel, Texas Twang (jalapeño cucumber mead).
     I have 13 gallons in the Cronical right now, (35lbs honey, 6lbs of apples someone gave me and 6gal water, champagne yeast.... last checked 16.92abv.) can't decide whether to bottle it or keg it.
    Let me know when it’s ready. I’ll gladly drive up to take a couple bottles off your hands. Just don’t let the sheriff know... :o
    Charlotte, NC

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,649
    edited November 2018
    Options

Yes been making Mead for years, as well as melomel, Texas Twang (jalapeño cucumber mead).
     I have 13 gallons in the Cronical right now, (35lbs honey, 6lbs of apples someone gave me and 6gal water, champagne yeast.... last checked 16.92abv.) can't decide whether to bottle it or keg it.
    Let me know when it’s ready. I’ll gladly drive up to take a couple bottles off your hands. Just don’t let the sheriff know... :o
    If you’re ever passing through I’ll be happy to share! 

I just got off the phone with the deputy sheriff, apparently some kids were driving through one of my fields, law dog said it didn’t look like they drove through the crops. 

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• GATraveller
    edited November 2018
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @GATraveller - I saw a truly failed chorizo cook on a stick burner that looked like that yesterday.  First time attempt at armadillo eggs with chorizo instead of hot sausage as the binder.  My sculpted creations failed miserably and it was a total melt-down as the high grease content failed to hold the shape.  Live and learn. 
    I'd much rather learn a lesson the easy way but unfortunately my life has been one tough lesson after another. That's the price one pays for not choosing to listen to those older and wiser. But I'm stronger, smarter (arguably) and much better off for it.
    I can guarantee you'll never make that mistake again.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I'd much rather learn a lesson the easy way but unfortunately my life has been one tough lesson after the other. The price one pays for not choosing to listen to experts. But I'm stronger, smarter (arguably) and much better off for it.
    FTFY.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I'd much rather learn a lesson the easy way but unfortunately my life has been one tough lesson after another. That's the price one pays for not choosing to listen to those older and wiser. But I'm stronger, smarter (arguably) and much better off for it.
    Learning from mistakes.  The pillars of wisdom.  I’ve raised a few.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:
    Adjusting to the realization I turned in my notice at my job. It's been a tough, much debated decision.  Ultimately it's the best move for me with advancing both my skills and career. Tomorrow morning after I rotate off I'll be toasting with a cohiba and beverage
    Made a serious move myself this summer.  Embrace the good choice brother and good luck going forward.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Good for you @DuckDogDr - onward and upward 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • NC_Egghead
    Options
    @DuckDogDr, I wish you the best in your future endeavors. I have a feeling you will look back at this decision one day and see the obvious clarity in it. 

I have this tag that I carry on my everyday backpack. It has a quote from Sigurd F. Olson that reads “There is a new adventure coming, and I know it will be a good one”. It’s kinda been a mantra I try to follow by always seeing the good in the future and to enjoy the ride along the way.
    Charlotte, NC