Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: We sit on the driveway and do Jello Shots as we pass out Halloween candy. What do you do?

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I live on a cul de sac in an older neighborhood. Doubt I get a dozen kids tonight. It is now 7:08 and I haven't even heard anyone!

Try taking your Yankees flag down.
    HaHaHa. I don't have a Yanks flag.  Nice try though.

And it is now 7:26 PM and I just had my first three little urchins.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Tables with 3 types of chili, cornbread, buffalo chicken dip and fire with neighbors in the cul-de-sac. About the only time of year I get to see most of my neighbors.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    We have taken to purchasing hard candy, like jolly ranchers, that is good for throwing.  Our approach is to put out a very large, separate bin of candy that has lights on it and is stocked with all sorts of goodies.  But it's not a treat... it's a trick!

We hide behind the bushes to the sides of the steps with the hard candy.

As the costumed children approach the house in an unsuspecting way, coming up the driveway...  we start pelting them with the hard candy.   

After they get over the shock of what's happening to them, some still make a break for the bin, but my wife has a heck of a right, and they usually catch one or two to the FACE before they turn around and run back to their parents. If they get too close we have a backup system of bottle rockets to shoot at them.   

It's generally a lot of fun for all involved.  TRICK OR TREAT MOFOS!
    This remains our approach.  I’ve yet to see a better one, although one of the neighbors thought Claymores in the lawn might be fun.
    Claymores are an excellent idea. Really gets right to the point in explaining that too much sugar can lead to missing limbs. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    They import kids on flatbed trailers to my subdivision. I would have to sit on my porch all night. I am now at a movie theater waiting to watch Hunter Killer.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I fed candy to the kids till the wife came home. 

Then while she took over candying, I cooked a pizza on my egg. I know it’s not the best tool for the job but by dammit it was good. 

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • I’ve had 8 kids. 8.  And I’m hungry.  
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    We've had a constant drizzle of rain and still have had a pretty good turnout of kids.  Not a bad year.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• I’ve had 8 kids. 8.  And I’m hangry.  
    FTFY
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • They import kids on flatbed trailers to my subdivision. I would have to sit on my porch all night. I am now at a movie theater waiting to watch Hunter Killer.
    Trailers for that looked interesting.  I’ll be curious to get your take.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • I’ve had 8 kids. 8.  And I’m hangry.  
    FTFY
    12 now. And just polished off the last quart of brisket chili from last falll. Guess I need to make moar chili.  
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    We live on a quiet cul-de-sac of 8 homes, and we have the 400+ foot driveway. Can’t recall one kid in over 18 years. Oh well, more peanut butter cups for me. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • @northGAcock I have seen The Rocky Horror Picture Show far too many times in the last 30+ years to know how to properly respond to Tim Curry's "Well, how about that". It has been a cult favorite of mine for longer than I've been married to my lovely bride (30 years this year). :thumbs-up:

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    9:12 PM now. Total of 5 kids.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I get zero kids, but I live way way way out of town. I still buy a big bag of candy 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @foghorn i was thinking exactly of your MO as I was pouring a triple Jameson to take caliprince out for Halloween. 

Its been pissing rain here all day, but we had a window of about 2hrs to hustle for some candy. As it turns out, folks are suckers if a 4yo tells them a joke , and double up on the candy giving.

He’s been packed off to bed. I’ve already raided his candy bucket. 

Life is good. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    caliking said:
    @foghorn i was thinking exactly of your MO as I was pouring a triple Jameson to take caliprince out for Halloween. 

Its been pissing rain here all day, but we had a window of about 2hrs to hustle for some candy. As it turns out, folks are suckers if a 4yo tells them a joke , and double up on the candy giving.

Life is good. 
    Well what’s the joke? 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    We had around 110 trick or treaters, steady stream from 4-7 PM.  Best Halloween weather in Chicago in, well, ever??  My children must have gone to 500 houses because it seems like we have more candy than we started with.  Most of it gets given away, otherwise the dentist wins.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Well what’s the joke? 
    What happens when a cat eats a ball of yarn?

Instead of kittens, she has mittens!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    caliking said:

Life is good. 
    Save some for all his model girlfriends!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • We do actual trick or treat for about 30 minutes and then our neighbors fire up the bounce house and we fire up the booze.  

I am starting to research some good outdoor projector options, and I've got some *very large* vintage speakers powered by their own dedicated 20A circuit.  Because why not...

Thinking if I can run an input back into the house and just extend my speaker wires into the garage, we could set up a proper theater for the 'hood next year.  Don't want to have to unplug everything, but just moving the speakers and running some extra wire isn't too bad.

My neighbor and I finally helped each other put stuff away around midnight.

It's been a *long* day today. 
  • Also, I made the mistake of putting signs up on the candy bowl for 2 pieces each after a couple of kids grabbed massive handfuls from the bowl I was holding out to them... kinda bothered me, but we still ended up with about 4 pounds leftover, dammit...
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    We get a lot of “transplants”’that come into our neighborhood. For that reason, we trick or treat from 5-6 with neighboring kids. At 6, lights go off, everyone ends up on our patio and we eat and drink and the kids run amok in the yard. Everyone gone by 9. And the transplants arrive in busses. Literally 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    YEMTrey said:

My house sits on a series of cul de sacs with no real thoroughfares to get you through.  It is a gold mine for trick or treaters.  High density of houses with little traffic.  About half of the trick or treaters we get are driven in.  Numerous amounts of cars/vans driving in and parking on the street. 

Don’t know why it should bother anyone.  Kids are much safer due to lack of traffic.  Saw some really great costumes and interacted with a lot of great kids who were having a blast.  The neighborhood came alive and was great to see.

These kids that are “bussed” into your area.  What’s the harm?  We’re only talking candy here.  They don’t get to choose their parents or where they live.  Why not give them some candy and let them have some fun.  It’s the least we can do.  The more trick or treaters we have the better. 

We have locals and transplants.  It gets very crowded in the streets.  It's a great opportunity for people to get together from various socioeconomic strata and have a good time.
    YEMTrey said:

My house sits on a series of cul de sacs with no real thoroughfares to get you through.  It is a gold mine for trick or treaters.  High density of houses with little traffic.  About half of the trick or treaters we get are driven in.  Numerous amounts of cars/vans driving in and parking on the street. 

Don’t know why it should bother anyone.  Kids are much safer due to lack of traffic.  Saw some really great costumes and interacted with a lot of great kids who were having a blast.  The neighborhood came alive and was great to see.

These kids that are “bussed” into your area.  What’s the harm?  We’re only talking candy here.  They don’t get to choose their parents or where they live.  Why not give them some candy and let them have some fun.  It’s the least we can do.  The more trick or treaters we have the better. 

We have locals and transplants.  It gets very crowded in the streets.  It's a great opportunity for people to get together from various socioeconomic strata and have a good time.
    Agreed.  We see kids brought in as well and feel the same way.  We give jello shots to the parents who spend the evening walking around with them.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    My comment wasn’t referring to kids. We get 18-25 year olds who don’t understand that trick or treat is for kids, and has a time limit. Don’t ring
    my doorbell at 9:30 asking for candy with a beard as thick as mine. 
  • @YEMTrey Agree
    South Buffalo, New York
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    ColbyLang said:
    My comment wasn’t referring to kids. We get 18-25 year olds who don’t understand that trick or treat is for kids, and has a time limit. Don’t ring
    my doorbell at 9:30 asking for candy with a beard as thick as mine. 
    There are a lot worse things the youth could be doing on Halloween. Lighten up Francis!