Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

IMO, a Netflix Must Watch

Options

Comments

• zahulio
    zahulio Posts: 135
    Options
    Finished watching yesterday. It's a great series. I especially like the last episode, which is full of practical tips and techniques. The last episode reminds me of her book, which is a must-read if you like this Netflix series.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Just watched the first episode. Awesome! Thanks for sharing

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Just watched episode 1 and about had a foodgasm 
    Jacksonville FL
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    caliking said:
    This is turning into a problem. 

Still cant get that focaccia out of my head, and then it was joined by that ragu and pasta. 

Homemade pasta, tossed in homemade pesto. With chopped lamb ribs that I made recently. 

I had forgotten how good homemade pasta tastes!
    Yes! Homemade pasta is night and day from commercial. Looks killer. 
    I'm with ya on the focaccia - it's haunting my dreams. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    GATraveller said:
     I think I've figured out some parts of the recipe, from watching that part a few times, and based on the way the dough looks and handles:
    -350ish g (or less) flour
    - 70% hydration
    - long fermentation. Maybe cold fermented in the fridge for a day or two? The way the dough holds the dimples made by their fingers means its been proofed for a while.

Still haven't figured out what is meant by "hard" and "soft" flour, and what proportions. They mention malt extract, but I wonder if that is sprouted wheat flour. 

I've checked out many recipes on the interwebz, and nothing looks quite like what they made. So I guess I'll keep working on it :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    caliking said:
    GATraveller said:
     I think I've figured out some parts of the recipe, from watching that part a few times, and based on the way the dough looks and handles:
    - 70% hydration
    - long fermentation. Maybe cold fermented in the fridge for a day or two? The way the dough holds the dimples made by their fingers means its been proofed for a while.

Still haven't figured out what is meant by "hard" and "soft" flour, and what proportions. They mention malt extract, but I wonder if that is sprouted wheat flour. 

I've checked out many recipes on the interwebz, and nothing looks quite like what they made. So I guess I'll keep working on it :)

I was thinking that perhaps by "malt extract" they may have meant some barley malt or diastatic malt powder but she has posted an adaptation of the recipe and it makes no mention of anything "malty" - https://www.saltfatacidheat.com/fat/ligurian-focaccia

Samin is posting other recipes from the show here - https://www.saltfatacidheat.com/cook-the-recipes

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I vaguely recall reading somewhere that hard and soft flour had something to with the season the wheat was grown and harvested.  Or that’s was totally made up by my subconscious.  Or inception.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Hard vs soft flour refers to the protein/gluten content in the wheat. Soft is low protein. 
  • GATraveller
    Options
    caliking said:
    GATraveller said:
    - 70% hydration

I was thinking a long proof also but then he said it was easy and quick enough to make for breakfast. But they were letting it sit for 40mins once brined so the dimples wouldn't bake out. He obviously doesn't leave for work at 5:45 like me. 
    So many questions....I need answers damnit! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • caliking
    Options
    @HeavyG thanks for those links. Hadn’t found them when I searched for Ligurian focaccia, and it didn’t strike me to look for the book/series website. Doh!

still working on the malt part. I’ll try sprouted wheat flour, then maybe malt powder and see. 

but that recipe seems more Josey Baker than Diego. The dough is much more relaxed in the show than what is described in the recipe i.e. no stretching, waiting, stretching again over 30 mins to form it in the sheet pan.

@GATraveller Cold ferment for 12hrs or so should make the dough handle like it does in the show, but that’s not quite a “in time for breakfast kind of timeline. And I don’t recall them adding olive oil or sugar to the dough. Guess I’ll have to watch it... again :)  It also seems silky, as if there is some tipo 00 in the dough. Just my speculation. 

@legume , @DoubleEgger you both may be right. From what I can tell, hard flour may be from durum wheat, which is possibly harvested in a different season, and has higher protein content?

This is getting geeky, but it’s kinda fun to try and reverse engineer a recipe like this :) Scales be damned, @20stone!!

• caliking
    Options
    Thanks for the link. Very informative article. 

Caliqueen has has been on a macaron quest, and the article mentions 00 for macarons, so I’ll pass that on to her. 

I’ll try to contact the author and see if she can shed some light on this. 

• GATraveller
    Options
    @caliking I appreciate all the info. Thanks for helping out. 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,343
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Great series! Am I the only one who is searching the interwebs for Yamaroku soy sauce after watching episode 2?
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• GATraveller
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Great series! Am I the only one who is searching the interwebs for Yamaroku soy sauce after watching episode 2?
    I haven't yet but that whole process was fascinating and I'm dying to try it. Good call. 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    I've not had the Yamaroku but I have bought another traditionally made brand - Kishibori which is also made in 100 year old wooden barrels. It was nice but is a little too expensive for me to use for most purposes and mostly just used it for dipping. I think the last time I bought some it was around $25 for a 10 or 12 ounce bottle.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• caliking
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    I haven't yet but that whole process was fascinating and I'm dying to try it. Good call. 
    Some years ago, I had the good fortune of meeting @Canugghead ‘s brother in Kolkata, and he gave me a tour of the family soy (and others) sauce operation. Huge  vats of soy sauce fermenting away in the sun. Old school, and very cool. 

And before you start scratching your head about soy sauce in Kolkata, Chinese folks have been living there for over 2 centuries. It’s the only city in India with a Chinatown. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Power watched this series. Worth the time invested. Thank you for sharing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Watched all 4 with the wife last night. Loved it. #1 was fun but 2 & 3 were awesome. I have to try some of the honey. I thought #4 was disappointing. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Don't have netflix and the episodes are not available on Exodus yet, can't wait to watch them.
    Thanks @caliking for the kind words. Here's a short footage of the place. What's not shown is the soy bean getting moldy in a dark room, prior to fermenting in the vats.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj_GVA2toFQ&index=5&list=PLJ4JjGZDldHBhhpXV9Wnsra5rRVt8ZvBV

canuckland
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    I’m going to give this another episode right now. The first one was just meh. Little was geared towards actually making you a better cook so, in my opinion, the show has missed that objective. We’ll see on the next one. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    You are not. Im over $100 in looking for similar. Both good but I have to find the real deal. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I've not had the Yamaroku but I have bought another traditionally made brand - Kishibori which is also made in 100 year old wooden barrels. It was nice but is a little too expensive for me to use for most purposes and mostly just used it for dipping. I think the last time I bought some it was around $25 for a 10 or 12 ounce bottle.
    I have that. It’s fine. The other one I bought was $67 for 5oz! Stuff is like gold. Haven’t received it yet but it’s supposed to be the similar. Aged 4 years in 200 year old cedar barrels. Fermented, not brewed. We shall see 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Hard vs soft 
    It’s been a dilemma for ages ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    I watched the second episode last night. I would have loved to have seen her getting her blood pressure checked at the end of the episode. The amount of salt that she used on those short ribs was absolutely ridiculous. It was comical when was justified the amount by saying it was just Kosher salt. I literally buckled over laughing when she claimed later that she went light on the salt. I assume she’s built up a huge tolerance like a junkie. 

I’d end up with kidney stones bigger than Stormy’s tatas if I followed any of her advice on salt. I’m tapping out on the final two episodes. 

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I watched the second episode last night. I would have loved to have seen her getting her blood pressure checked at the end of the episode. The amount of salt that she used on those short ribs was absolutely ridiculous. It was comical when was justified the amount by saying it was just Kosher salt. I literally buckled over laughing when she claimed later that she went light on the salt. I assume she’s built up a huge tolerance like a junkie. 

I’d end up with kidney stones bigger than Stormy’s tatas if I followed any of her advice on salt. I’m tapping out on the final two episodes. 

Chefs love the salt.   Not sure why theses fancy restaurants are not classified as junk food,  it's the same level of salt and sugar as any of the so called fast food joints.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • DoubleEgger
    edited October 2018
    Options
    That chick used a 1/4 cup of salt on one beef rib.  A teaspoon of Kosher salt has about 1800 milligrams of sodium. Upper daily limit is 2300/day. Those ribs easily had 20,000. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    EggNorth said:

Chefs love the salt.   Not sure why theses fancy restaurants are not classified as junk food,  it's the same level of salt and sugar as any of the so called fast food joints.
    What I saw was far worse than the saltiest meals list... 

https://www.eatthis.com/most-sodium-restaurant-foods/