Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

IMO, a Netflix Must Watch

Options
13»

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,351
    Options
    That chick used a 1/4 cup of salt on one beef rib.  A teaspoon of Kosher salt has about 1800 milligrams of sodium. Upper daily limit is 2300/day. Those ribs easily had 20,000. 
    How much of that salt do you think was actually absorbed into the meat and thus consumed by eating?

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    That chick used a 1/4 cup of salt on one beef rib.  A teaspoon of Kosher salt has about 1800 milligrams of sodium. Upper daily limit is 2300/day. Those ribs easily had 20,000. 
    How much of that salt do you think was actually absorbed into the meat and thus consumed by eating?

About 100x what I use. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,351
    Options
    HeavyG said:

About 100x what I use. 
    So, just guessing.
    How much sodium do you think is actually absorbed by fish cooked via this method (which use about 4 cups of kosher salt?
    If that beef rib frightened you I'm guessing this will cause you to faint. :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    I just finished the series and feel like I learned something each episode.  I have never even thought of grilling rice balls but I’m going to have to give it a go. BTW she has updated her website with recipes from the show.  https://www.saltfatacidheat.com/cook-the-recipes/
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    It’s got salt in the first word of the title sooo....
    Jacksonville FL
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    HeavyG said:

About 100x what I use. 
    Maybe this is what’s been holding you back from becoming a world-renowned chef. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I just finished the series and feel like I learned something each episode.  I have never even thought of grilling rice balls but I’m going to have to give it a go. BTW she has updated her website with recipes from the show.  https://www.saltfatacidheat.com/cook-the-recipes/
    The focaccia! Yes!! 
    Thanks for the heads up. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    The focaccia! Yes!! 
    Thanks for the heads up. 

@c@caliking it’s kinda of funny as the recipe posted says to use plain old AP flour but specifies the brand of salt to use.  

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    HeavyG said:

About 100x what I use. 
    Maybe this is what’s been holding you back from becoming a world-renowned chef. 
    Or high blood pressure... your call. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:

To me it looked like a pretty standard dry brine. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    caliking said:
    This is turning into a problem. 

Still cant get that focaccia out of my head, and then it was joined by that ragu and pasta. 

Homemade pasta, tossed in homemade pesto. With chopped lamb ribs that I made recently. 

I had forgotten how good homemade pasta tastes!
    Very nice! I’ve been working on homemade pasta recently. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    caliking said:
    GATraveller said:
    Yes! Homemade pasta is night and day from commercial. Looks killer. 
    I'm with ya on the focaccia - it's haunting my dreams. 
     I think I've figured out some parts of the recipe, from watching that part a few times, and based on the way the dough looks and handles:
    -350ish g (or less) flour
    - 70% hydration
    - long fermentation. Maybe cold fermented in the fridge for a day or two? The way the dough holds the dimples made by their fingers means its been proofed for a while.

Still haven't figured out what is meant by "hard" and "soft" flour, and what proportions. They mention malt extract, but I wonder if that is sprouted wheat flour. 

I've checked out many recipes on the interwebz, and nothing looks quite like what they made. So I guess I'll keep working on it :)

I “think” hard flour referes to high protein bread flour and soft flout to AP flour of lower protein content. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I got halfway through the first episode and gave up 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I “think” hard flour referes to high protein bread flour and soft flout to AP flour of lower protein content. 
    Thanks. That makes it easier, since I usually have both of those in stock. 

And the pasta venture was the first in over a decade, so I've got a ways to go :) I added 2 eggs, and the protein from the whites seemed to make the pasta kinda "springy". I'll try adding 2 extra yolks next time and see if that helps. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Don't have netflix and the episodes are not available on Exodus yet, can't wait to watch them.
    Thanks @caliking for the kind words. Here's a short footage of the place. What's not shown is the soy bean getting moldy in a dark room, prior to fermenting in the vats.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj_GVA2toFQ&index=5&list=PLJ4JjGZDldHBhhpXV9Wnsra5rRVt8ZvBV

Thanks for the link, Gary. It brings back memories of an afternoon well spent with your kin :)

And I consider myself more special than the journalist, since I was given a tour by the owner himself!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Phaqallyall
    Options
    Some of you have the attention span of gnats. 
    sound it out yaidjit
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Loved the book and still rereading it but the episodes left me thinking she uses too much salt and is very heavy with all seasonings foe me with high blood pressure. This book and meathead are my two favorites 
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston