Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hurricane Michael

Options

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Yep been watching him. Michael here by midweek
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Sucks. I’m in Santa Rosa beach right now. Just waiting to see if we need to evacuate or stay and enjoy the rest of our vacation. If it’s not red tide it’s a hurricane. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    This is also going to dump rain on the parts of North Carolina and South that had flooded in the last one. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    Sucks. I’m in Santa Rosa beach right now. Just waiting to see if we need to evacuate or stay and enjoy the rest of our vacation. If it’s not red tide it’s a hurricane. 
    Probably best to go ahead and relocate the vacation. The evacuation will probably be mandatory soon.
  • g8golfer
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    Probably best to go ahead and relocate the vacation. The evacuation will probably be mandatory soon.
    Would it be best to go inland for a day until the hurricane passes and then come back? I have this condo rented till Saturday. It shows the biggest part of the hurricane hitting the gulf late Tuesday or early Wednesday morning and moving fairly quickly. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    g8golfer said:
    Would it be best to go inland for a day until the hurricane passes and then come back? I have this condo rented till Saturday. It shows the biggest part of the hurricane hitting the gulf late Tuesday or early Wednesday morning and moving fairly quickly. 
    I’d ride it out. But my dumbassery is well proven. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    g8golfer said:
    If the money is non refundable that is a possibility. The risk is no power when you come back. 
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    Options
    @Gulfcoastguy - glad you got your roof finished earlier. Be smart and safe. Trying to contact my friends in Orange Beach to see what they are going to do.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited October 2018
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    You've really been shafted this year!  Best I can tell ya is to enjoy what ya got while ya got it.  Oh yea.....my son called yesterday from their condo in Destin and said the red tide made it to them.  Couldn't go out without coughing and irritated eyes.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    @Gulfcoastguy - glad you got your roof finished earlier. Be smart and safe. Trying to contact my friends in Orange Beach to see what they are going to do.
    Thanks but I am way to the West. Just East of Biloxi.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    If anyone needs a place to evacuate to, let me know. 
  • g8golfer
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    You've really been shafted this year!  Best I can tell ya is to enjoy what ya got while ya got it.  Oh yea.....my son called yesterday from their condo in Destin and said the red tide made it to them.  Couldn't go out without coughing and irritated eyes.
    We had to go 30 miles towards Pensacola to find clear water. Locals are hoping the hurricane will push the red tide out. My condo is non refundable so I’m staying till Saturday. Might end up looking like Lt.Dan on Forrest Gump fighting the storm. 
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    Yea, we've been down there the past two weeks. Normally in the morning it isn't bad until about 12pm or so, the wind keeps it off shore, but once the wind shifts in the afternoon it pushes back up to the beach. Definitely coughing if your on the beach, the bay isn't bad which is where I spent most of my time. With that strong east wind over the past few days its probably pushing towards Pensacola.
    LBGE
    AL
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    edited October 2018
    Options
    @g8golfer Oh and if you are looking for some decent restaurants Boshamps over in Destin and great southern cafe (happy hour 4-6) in seaside are options. A lot of people like stinky's fish camp too. Stay safe guys!
    LBGE
    AL
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Stay safe everyone!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Projection is now category 3. That is a pretty much guaranteed lose of electricity regardless of other damage.

https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2018/hurricane-michael?map=forecast&MR=1
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Stay safe everyone and plan accordingly.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• JerseyEgger
    Options
    Echoing others... please be safe. You can buy new smokers, can't buy new lives though.
    -Eddie
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    so would that be "just this side of Biloxi MS"? I know a guy down that way :)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    so would that be "just this side of Biloxi MS"? I know a guy down that way :)

A quarter around the clock, 3 instead of 11 or so.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited October 2018
    Options
    This one may be a major at landfall. Very impressive pressure drop overnight and through the day today. Predicted decrease in wind shear over the Gulf will make it easier for this one to further intensify over the next 24. 12z euro brings it in over Fort Walton Beach.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Not liking the looks of this one. Be safe everyone.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • g8golfer
    Options
    I think we are going to head home in the morning early. I got a buddy of mine who’s staying in Fort Walton area and he planning on riding it out. He’s on vacation not a resident. More brave than I. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    I think we are going to head home in the morning early. I got a buddy of mine who’s staying in Fort Walton area and he planning on riding it out. He’s on vacation not a resident. More brave than I. 
    Good call.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    Fuel up tonight and beat the rush.
  • g8golfer
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    Got fuel this morning at 9am. Station only had premium gasoline and it was $4 a gallon. Going to head north at 2-3am in the morning. Get home to the mountains and fire up the egg. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    g8golfer said:
    Got fuel this morning at 9am. Station only had premium gasoline and it was $4 a gallon. Going to head north at 2-3am in the morning. Get home to the mountains and fire up the egg. 
    Heck, just drive over to New Orleans for the rest of the week. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    g8golfer said:
    Good luck and safe driving.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    g8golfer said:
    Safe travels - I’m supposed to go to Destin on Saturday.  Not that my trip is important compared to all the folks who could be seriously impacted.  Best of luck to all Gulf Coast eggers - be safe. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    Options
    Just got a message from my friend vacationing in Orange Beach. They are leaving on Wednesday a day early and coming home. All you Gulf Coast Eggers be safe and let us know how you are after landfall. Been there, done that too many times and not looking forward to many more of these.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.