Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hurricane Michael

Options
123457»

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options

This was updated yesterday, aerial images of the coast from ft. morgan over to Apalachicola

That's impressive.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Looks  like the power problem has blown up my fridge. Cant get it to work with the new generator. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Looks  like the power problem has blown up my fridge. Cant get it to work with the new generator. 

How many watts is your generator, what kind of load is on it and how big is this fridge?

Sometimes the dynamic load during starting can SWARM the electron generation capacity of a generator.

--Your nerd friend nola.
    Options
    This no power thing is getting old. Power company is estimating Tuesday 11:30pm to have back on. 

Kids without Wi-Fi... a new low. 

I tried to explain to them this is how i how I grew up. Got the eye roll. 

On the bright side I’ve been getting to bed early- of course waking up at 4am kind of defeats the purpose. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    This no power thing is getting old. Power company is estimating Tuesday 11:30pm to have back on. 

Kids without Wi-Fi... a new low. 

I tried to explain to them this is how i how I grew up. Got the eye roll. 

On the bright side I’ve been getting to bed early- of course waking up at 4am kind of defeats the purpose. 
    *like* but don’t take that wrong.  Sorry about the power, but funny post, I can relate.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    @MaskedMarvel

we got power back about 2hrs ago- any luck on your end?

Greensboro, NC
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    @MaskedMarvel

we got power back about 2hrs ago- any luck on your end?

Yes brother. Generator on! Connected the freezer to save the meat. Connected the Hot water heater to save my skin. Connected the coffee maker to save my relationship. ;p 

and the fridge. Which didn’t come back on. 

Signed the check on the generator at 1pm. 

Power was back on around 9. Lol

that was an expensive cup of coffee...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Options

How many watts is your generator, what kind of load is on it and how big is this fridge?

Sometimes the dynamic load during starting can SWARM the electron generation capacity of a generator.

--Your nerd friend nola.
    So maybe put the fridge on the generator first?

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

--Your nerd friend nola.

Start the biggest thing that has a motor first.  Biggest = running watts with a motor.  Takes 3x running watts to start.  So if you have a 200 watt refrigerator, takes 600 watts to start it.  

You may have a 1500 watt air conditioner.   You'll need a 4500 watt or stronger generator to start it.   Once that 1500 watt thing is running you have 4500-1500 = 3000 watts to start the next thing, that can't be greater than 3000/3 = 1000 watts.  Etc.

Glad your power is on and may your mojo be strong.
    Options

--Your nerd friend nola.

Start the biggest thing that has a motor first.  Biggest = running watts with a motor.  Takes 3x running watts to start.  So if you have a 200 watt refrigerator, takes 600 watts to start it.  

You may have a 1500 watt air conditioner.   You'll need a 4500 watt or stronger generator to start it.   Once that 1500 watt thing is running you have 4500-1500 = 3000 watts to start the next thing, that can't be greater than 3000/3 = 1000 watts.  Etc.

Glad your power is on and may your mojo be strong.
    Gracias amigo. 

Seems youre right about the electrons.. brandi plugged the fridge into the wall again, and it started up.. albeit after a half
    hour of not doing anything...

We went to Lowe’s for fuel stabilizer for the generator. She poked her head around the lawnmowers and said, “oh! Refrigerators!” Pretty sure I’m hosed. :)
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    The devastation is almost incomprehensible.  Loss of life low so far thankfully.
    Those 50+ year old houses in Mexico Beach didn’t stand a chance. 
    You know the only surviving house in Mexico Beach? The one that was specially designed for hurricanes? Tonight I learned that my first cousin designed it.