Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Let's have a frank discussion about Throwdowns

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I was hoping this was a hot dog throw down. 
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    I'm out.

Signal Mountain, TN
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Legume said:
    Enough talking.  Do.
    Your suggestion for the next throw down is??

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If anyone does a chili throw-down, please, require no beans.  I ate some earlier today and I've been boofing like crazy.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    No, I’m not running one right now.  But since you asked, here’s a semi-freestyle category.

2+ meats.  Food that is stuffed or rolled up in other food.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Legume said:
    No, I’m not running one right now.  But since you asked, here’s a semi-freestyle category.

2+ meats.  Food that is stuffed or rolled up in other food.
    Crazytown!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited October 2018
    Legume said:
    Enough talking.  Do.
    There is no try.  

Go big or stay home. I mean is this a cooking forum or what.

Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    johnnyp said:

I'm sorry to have missed the last one.

I would guess that participation has dwindled because folks with 10k+ posts may have lost some enthusiasm and newbies are hesitant to jump in the deep end. 

Just an observation about the forum in general.  There is a lack of new members who stick around.  That may be because there is too large of a nonsense to cooking ratio, cantankerous members, a combination, or something else entirely.

I don't perceive a lack of welcoming attitude towards new members, but OT threads can turn hostile. quickly.  That probably scares off the newbies or keeps lurkers, 

I know I can select "Agree", but I wanted to do more and say "I agree with this".  

I was trying to type this earlier, but was too dumb to frame it like you did JP.  

I am a newbie compared to many on here. But I thoroughly enjoy both the cooking threads and the off topic stuff. Even the pig-headed political stuff can be eye opening. Throwdowns are tough for me as my schedule does not conform easily. But maybe someday...

As far as the agree/disagree and like buttons? Hitting any of those is a lazy way to acknowledge any post and it stifles furthering the conversation. Surely even if in agreement with a post we can add a little something to the conversation. That is what these old clunky forums are for. It is what seperates forums from Facebook. And it is why I am here rather than there.

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Jeremiah said:
    I prefer the “in-person” throw downs.  =)
    New forum grudge settling, trial by combat.  Loser quits the internet. 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I could use more advance notice and a longer window to enter.  There have been times I didn’t notice a throwdown post until it was over.  

The Brethren throwdowns are announced a few days in advance and they run for two weeks or even a month on special themes.  Plenty of time to plan and enter.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    It’s a photo contest, nothing more. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Dobie said:
    Nah.  Folks typically include a description of what they cooked and how.  A great photo helps for sure, but I think most people here know enough to understand what went into the cook.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Dobie said:
    Nah.  Folks typically include a description of what they cooked and how.  A great photo helps for sure, but I think most people here know enough to understand what went into the cook.
    Is it too soon to plug Wing Ding 4?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    I would like to do them more, as long as they aren't wings. Really a subjective topic. 
    Are you an anti-wingite?
    No. Grill wings, add sauce, done. Not much competition there without tasting. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• TN_Egger said:
    I'm out.

I am now far more interested. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    I would like to do them more, as long as they aren't wings. Really a subjective topic. 
    Are you an anti-wingite?
    Welp, three years, three very different winners, so there’s that. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Dobie said:
    I could have sworn I saw words on at least one of them.   Must be losing my ever lovin mind.
    Are you an anti-wingite?
    Welp, three years, three very different winners, so there’s that. 
    Winners decided by people actually eating the wings, not looking at them on the internet. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    It’s always a timing/ planning issue for me.  Of everything stated above, more advance notice is most relevant.  I don’t give a damn about winners/losers but there should only be one winner.  It’s what winner means.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    If anyone does a chili throw-down, please, require no beans.  I ate some earlier today and I've been boofing like crazy.
    Now get some onions, jalapeños, and habaneros into those delicious beans. This pot is about to hit the egg for a light smoke and into the fridge for the flavor to ferment overnight. MN @$$ Blaster Chili tomorrow. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Well everyone is reacquainting themselves with Throwdowns I would like to add a reminder. 

There will be a Thanksgiving leftover Throwdown. Go ahead and get some ideas going. 

Best use of leftovers wins. Open the week of Thanksgiving and closes Sunday night.

@tarheelmatt stole the cup from @JohnInCarolina who had some killer egg rolls with a last minute entry last year. 

Ohhhh, NOW I see why you wanted to do top 3 John.  ;)   Ok, gold, silver, and bronze bragging rights. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited October 2018
    Not sure if that's stuffed turkey breast or biscotti. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Well everyone is reacquainting themselves with Throwdowns I would like to add a reminder. 

There will be a Thanksgiving leftover Throwdown. Go ahead and get some ideas going. 

Best use of leftovers wins. Open the week of Thanksgiving and closes Sunday night.

@tarheelmatt stole the cup from @JohnInCarolina who had some killer egg rolls with a last minute entry last year. 

Ohhhh, NOW I see why you wanted to do top 3 John.  ;)   Ok, gold, silver, and bronze bragging rights. 

Haha.  I really couldn’t care less about winning one of these.  Those egg rolls were off the chain tho...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SonVolt said:
    @SonVolt go check it out. It was pretty ingenious. 

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1210188/thanksgiving-leftover-throwdown/p2

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Well everyone is reacquainting themselves with Throwdowns I would like to add a reminder. 

Haha.  I really couldn’t care less about winning one of these.  Those egg rolls were off the chain tho...
    You told me after getting your MM cleaned up, nothing meant more than winning a throw down.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    SonVolt said:
    Neither.  That's southern dressing stuffed with turkey and asparagus (I believe there could be mashed potatoes too?), with a cranberry sauce, and brown butter sage sauce.  It was pretty tasty.  

I cannot remember, but I think someone else was winning initially.  I cannot remember who that was.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • @JohnInCarolina I believe you. I have them saved to try out this year. They looked fan freaking tasting. 

I may may do the waffles, too. It’s a long weekend. 

South of Nashville, TN

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Somewhere out there is a winner I did for thanksgiving leftover throwdown.  Turkey and dressing with cranberry sauce empanadas.  Too lazy to find.