Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Let's have a frank discussion about Throwdowns

Options

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Honestly I would love and plan to, while my cooking skills are good, I lack in presentation and fall in the "Too Embarrassed" category for the throwdowns and tend to lean more towards specific threads such as Sausage Recipe ...

BTW thanks for putting this out there 
    Crazy talk.
    NOLA
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,797
    Options
    I don’t participate because I don’t have a kick ash basket, because I don’t think they’re necessary, but lots of people here do have them and rave about them all the time, and this conflict has turned me into a bitter old man who yells at clouds.  Also, the Atlanta airport.

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Image result for i like turtles
    Options
    Thank you to those who have provided thoughtful answers. Please keep them coming. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
     I have never seen a throw down roll across the forum.  I am a new member and every one has made me welcome for the most part but I imagine I have thicker skin than some. There is a bit of a good ole boys network here. As for the shenanigans posts I’m for them!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    I agree with @alaskanassasin. I also am a new member and plan to try and participate in the next one. Really don't care about winning as I'm new and really should not be competitive yet, however when I get a little better at this stuff look out. The shenanigans make this place fun and pretty cool. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited October 2018
    Options
    If it’s not arguing about politics it seems to be a short thread.  Then when the politics is snuck into an actual cooking thread it roles on.  

@killit_and_grillit had an awesome throw down planned last weekend, minimal participation. Which sucked. I guess if he asked for chicken wings in the shape of Trump or Hillary it might have went gangbusters with the meme and gif crowd.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Snowflakes here are paradoxically the people that complain incessantly about all the darn snowflakes.

I would love to participate in more of them but I've been pretty busy and the more specific topics don't always align with what I feel like eating.

Now if someone put up some serious prizes...
    Options
    Usually usually by the time my cooks are over the brown water makes me forget to take pics. I love posting pics, I don’t mind positive or negative. When I post it’s because I’m proud. I know I’m way behind in skills to quite a few of you but any criticism “at least for me” is taken seriously as far as a hobby allows
    You can’t get to Loganville, Ga from anywhere. You have to start somewhere else
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    MORE THROWDOWN!!!!!!!!!!

Not participating in a throwdown because you think you'll not be good at it is like not sleeping with the loose girl in school because you think she'll be better than you. Just stick to your go to moves, experiment a little, and hope you come out on top.

Did you have fun? Maybe got your a$$ spanked a little? Learned a lot of new stuff? Well there ya go.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

Not participating in a throwdown because you think you'll not be good at it is like not sleeping with the loose girl in school because you think she'll be better than you. Just stick to your go to moves, experiment a little, and hope you come out on top.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    so are we doing one this weekend, lets make throw downs great again.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,232
    Options
    Kent8621 said:
    No. If it is decided that we continue, ample time and notification will be provided to encourage participation. 
  • RiverBBQ
    RiverBBQ Posts: 191
    Options
    The football theowdown was an excellent idea, unfortunately MaBell had other plans for me
    You can’t get to Loganville, Ga from anywhere. You have to start somewhere else
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Kent8621 said:
    No. If it is decided that we continue, ample time and notification will be provided to encourage participation. 
    That was just my suggestion.  I’m not trying to insist on anything.   If folks want a throwdown for this weekend then I’d go for it.  You might have a lot of takers given this thread, I don’t know.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,368
    Options
    There's a day each year for everything, including food. This calendar might spur some suggestions: https://foodimentary.com/today-in-national-food-holidays/

Picking a set day (e.g. second Saturday of each month) might also help with planning/awareness.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    So many rules.  Nobody owns throwdowns.

Start one.  My advice would be keep it simple, there were some more complex skilled cooks for a while.  I do think new and different things expand our skills, so keep that in mind.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Everyone that enters get acknowledged as a winner.  Problem solved 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    I only asked because its literally my only free weekend ill have some time sunday to do some cooking before 3 straight weeks of trips so I was hopeful.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I would like to do them more, as long as they aren't wings. Really a subjective topic. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I would like to do them more, as long as they aren't wings. Really a subjective topic. 
    Are you an anti-wingite?
  • COegger
    COegger Posts: 58
    Options
    YEMTrey said:

I actually prefer the “National Brisket Day” cook type threads over the throwdowns.  This eliminates some of the one-upmanship that may occur.  There’s no pressure to post your cook since you don’t have to worry about lack of votes.

There were a lot of posts in the NBD thread.  Got to see many peoples takes on prep, cook, finish, etc.  At least for myself, I’d be much more inclined to participate in that type of regular thread than a throwdown.

I agree - I think if you did a more themed event vs. a competition you would get more participants.  You could do a protein (chicken, ribs, or brisket) theme or a style (pizza, tacos, chili, dessert) weekend event.  It would inspire people like me who want to Egg something but don't know what to cook.  It would encourage people to participate if it wasn't a competition and had nothing to do with photography skills - just ideas, creativity, knowledge and experience sharing.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    MORE THROWDOWN!!!!!!!!!!

Did you have fun? Maybe got your a$$ spanked a little? Learned a lot of new stuff? Well there ya go.
    Either join or Adam will pirate your flag.....
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    My problem, is the amount of entertaining we do, the timing kind of has not been ideal, because these meals are planned in advance, and the throwdown has been a spurt of the moment thing.
    I agree with John. plan in advance, it will get more involved. 

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    Enough talking.  Do.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    Legume said:
    Enough talking.  Do.
    There is no try.  
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I have too many kids doing too many things right now. 99.9% of my cooks are totally pedestrian stuff between the Anova and the eggs. I spend the rest of my time doing all the "stuff" with the kiddos because next time I turn around they'll be grown. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • EggbertGreenII
    Options
    I have a Kick Ash basket, but even so, am wondering, "What's a throwdown"? ...and should it be capitalized?
    Tampa Bay, Florida