Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Let's have a frank discussion about Throwdowns

Options

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Somewhere out there is a winner I did for thanksgiving leftover throwdown.  Turkey and dressing with cranberry sauce empanadas.  Too lazy to find. 
    Lazy garage dwelling.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Well everyone is reacquainting themselves with Throwdowns I would like to add a reminder. 

There will be a Thanksgiving leftover Throwdown. Go ahead and get some ideas going. 

Best use of leftovers wins. Open the week of Thanksgiving and closes Sunday night.

@tarheelmatt stole the cup from @JohnInCarolina who had some killer egg rolls with a last minute entry last year. 

Ohhhh, NOW I see why you wanted to do top 3 John.  ;)   Ok, gold, silver, and bronze bragging rights. 

Haha.  I really couldn’t care less about winning one of these.  Those egg rolls were off the chain tho...
    You told me after getting your MM cleaned up, nothing meant more than winning a throw down.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Well everyone is reacquainting themselves with Throwdowns I would like to add a reminder. 

There will be a Thanksgiving leftover Throwdown. Go ahead and get some ideas going. 

Best use of leftovers wins. Open the week of Thanksgiving and closes Sunday night.

@tarheelmatt stole the cup from @JohnInCarolina who had some killer egg rolls with a last minute entry last year. 

Ohhhh, NOW I see why you wanted to do top 3 John.  ;)   Ok, gold, silver, and bronze bragging rights. 

Haha.  I really couldn’t care less about winning one of these.  Those egg rolls were off the chain tho...
    You told me after getting your MM cleaned up, nothing meant more than winning a throw down.

Correct.  Your MM never got spiffed up.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:

How would you know?  You totally bailed on wing ding.  Loser. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:

How would you know?  You totally bailed on wing ding.  Loser. 
    Winner arrogance.  I see.  So we can no longer be dead friends except coming through your parts later this month.  I’ll pm so you can go shopping  ;)
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I'm always interested in a great recipe, or something else someone did that I might like to try.  But for myself, grilling and smoking are about having a great time making really wonderful food, not about competing with someone else.  I know that most people love competition, and it adds excitement for them.  I'm just not one of those people.  Different strokes...
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Throw it down.   How bout a nachos Throwdown sometime.  

I love nachos.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    The only rule is:

There are NO rules!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bgebrent
    Options
    I like the Nachos idea @thetrim.  Lots of options.  Next weekend.  Might be just you and me but I’m in.  Not this weekend, next weekend.  
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Legume said:
    thetrim said:

I love nachos.  
    Love this idea, except that @JohnInCarolina has a roccbox and makes unbelievable nachos in it, @caliking will make his own chips from scratch and @20stone will plant a field of corn and make his own cheese.
    They are all wannabes.  Don’t be skeered.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I meant to post but forgot to take the plated photos and didnt post what I took.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    thetrim said:

I love nachos.  
    If you build it, they will come 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Everyone that enters get acknowledged as a winner.  Problem solved 

Yes.  Wait....what?

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Legume said:
    thetrim said:

I love nachos.  
    Love this idea, except that @JohnInCarolina has a roccbox and makes unbelievable nachos in it, @caliking will make his own chips from scratch and @20stone will plant a field of corn and make his own cheese.
    Thus my suggestion for a “top three”.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    MORE THROWDOWN!!!!!!!!!!

Not participating in a throwdown because you think you'll not be good at it is like not sleeping with the loose girl in school because you think she'll be better than you. Just stick to your go to moves, experiment a little, and hope you come out on top.

Did you have fun? Maybe got your a$$ spanked a little? Learned a lot of new stuff? Well there ya go.

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    @northGAcock now you've done it. I spit coffee out my nose. That was funny.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Somewhere out there is a winner I did for thanksgiving leftover throwdown.  Turkey and dressing with cranberry sauce empanadas.  Too lazy to find. 
    Bitter Lazy garage dwelling.
    Fixed it for you.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i know this is an egg forum, but why limit it to egg cooks, im good if the  pizza is cooked in an egg, the oven, the blackstone, or if you made a stone woodfired oven.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    Everyone that enters get acknowledged as a winner.  Problem solved 

Yes.  Wait....what?

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    edited October 2018
    Options
    For me it's a combination of things like others have said. Summers through the end of September are tough due to my work schedule and we always seem to be busy on the weekends. That and I seem to always fail seeing the thread until it is too late. Otherwise, I have no excuse, I would like to get involved even though my pictures suck!
    LBGE
    AL
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    i know this is an egg forum, but why limit it to egg cooks, im good if the  pizza is cooked in an egg, the oven, the blackstone, or if you made a stone woodfired oven.
    I second this.  
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Better Lazy garage dwelling.
    Fixed it for you.
    FTFY
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    I second this.  
    this forum leans more to good cooks and good food than to the traditional kamado cooking grilled/bbq, it would be a shame not to be able to put your best effort out on the plate with the right tools if you have them
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    I’ve always liked the throw downs even if it’s just seeing the results. I’m down to participate when I can. Sometimes plans get in the way of being able to do a specific cook on a given day, but if they’re a weekend long event, let’s say Fri-Sun (Not sure how long they’ve been in the past) and given enough notice I’m sure more would participate. 
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    I second this.  
    this forum leans more to good cooks and good food than to the traditional kamado cooking grilled/bbq, it would be a shame not to be able to put your best effort out on the plate with the right tools if you have them
    FWIWAINWTM ("For What It's Worth And It's Not Worth That Much"), I'd be less likely to participate in a TD that was not limited to egg-cooked stuff. 

While I definitely learn tons here from all the Blackstone and stickburner and other-equipment posts, my main purpose in clicking here (dozens of times some days) is to become a better egger.  I've found that the TDs provide a singular platform for inspiration and execution.  They've gotten me to expand things I'm willing to try to do, and they've also shown me what people who REALLY know what they're doing can do.

Nothing inherently wrong with opening it up to other equipment . . . I, for one, am just less likely to "compete" in that kind of a TD.  Definitely will watch and learn, tho!

I also don't like limiting the pictures, as the TDs sometimes do.  My pix aren't anything special, but only being able to post 3 seems a bit arbitrary.

Just my two cents.  
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    There's a day each year for everything, including food. This calendar might spur some suggestions: https://foodimentary.com/today-in-national-food-holidays/
    Next weekend is National Kegger Weekend.  That just sounds dangerous, lol.
    I agree with those who have indicated that more time to plan and prepare would encourage more participation.

In addition, it might help if there was a dedicated sub-forum for throwdowns to help make sure no one misses out on one because the topic got lost in the clutter of the main forum.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    National Kegger Weekend.  Guaranteed there's some 18 year old kid, future SC Justice who's notating that on his calendar.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • grilldad
    Options
    I feel like eating some nachos.....
    Orlando, Hunters Creek  FL with a XL "I gave my BGE Chantix but it just wont quit smokin...."

"Not a Chef, but I love to cook.. Sometimes I get a hug and sometimes my wife says unrepeatable things in another language....."
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    we have been doing keto so thanks for all the nacho torture talk now I want nachos I cant have.....

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!