Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- New Smoker is competed - OT VERY pic heavy.

Reverse Flow Offset (I let the guy who welded it for me pick the name, I know "The Beast" is common, but I let him have this)

72" x 24" CC

3/8" CC, 1/4" Warmer, 1/2" Fire Box

All slide out trays, adjustable opening between CC and Warmer.

I did a quick trial and the air flow worked out perfect, temp got up quick. I added a drain to the baffle / trip plate, and one to the whole chamber to flush out ash if needed.

I will cut the legs off and mount it to a trailer maybe next year.

Just waiting for some gauges to put in and ready for first cook.

County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada

Comments

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387

Thanks for some of the advice @SGH

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791

Thanks for some of the advice @SGH

Congratulations on the new smoker. It looks great!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Outstanding outcome.  Clearly well thought out from design to build. Congrats on the rig.  And regarding the name-it is permanent ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • AlbertaEgger
    lousubcap said:
    Outstanding outcome.  Clearly well thought out from design to build. Congrats on the rig.  And regarding the name-it is permanent ;)

I didn't want to argue, he put a lot of work into it.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Can’t wait to see copious amounts of protein on that bad boy. Congrats! 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Wow.  You must be excited.  That's dream come true stuff.  Looks like well thought out build.
    Phoenix 
  • AlbertaEgger
    Thanks guys, yes we plan to load it up pretty good. Ill be sure to post some pics when we do.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    The name fits accordingly. Great looking smoker. I'm excited for you. A whole new animal. Is this you first stick burner? The smoke profile can't be beat. It makes you work for it but it's worth it!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • AlbertaEgger
    WeberWho said:
    The name fits accordingly. Great looking smoker. I'm excited for you. A whole new animal. Is this you first stick burner? The smoke profile can't be beat. It makes you work for it but it's worth it!

It is yes. Hardwood around here is the only issue, that's why stick burners are not common here. I did find some Oak though.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Dude.  That rocks.

One question I have about this sort of design - with the reverse flow and the vertical cooking/warming chamber over the firebox:

Is there a way for air/heat to flow directly to the vertical cabinet from the firebox - or does it have to traverse the horizontal chamber first.  And if that is the case, what temp difference do you typically see between the horizontal and the vertical components?  My offset is not a reverse flow design and has a vertical cabinet opposite the firebox and there is a sizable difference in temp between the two chambers.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• AlbertaEgger
    Foghorn said:
    Dude.  That rocks.

One question I have about this sort of design - with the reverse flow and the vertical cooking/warming chamber over the firebox:

Is there a way for air/heat to flow directly to the vertical cabinet from the firebox - or does it have to traverse the horizontal chamber first.  And if that is the case, what temp difference do you typically see between the horizontal and the vertical components?  My offset is not a reverse flow design and has a vertical cabinet opposite the firebox and there is a sizable difference in temp between the two chambers.

I was going to add a door from the top of the FB to the warming drawer but decided not to and went from the CC to warmer instead. I am not familiar enough with the temps yet. However, while doing a quick dry run with the vent to the warmer closed the temp was sitting around 150 in the warmer. I had the chimney stack closed on warmer as well. It will take awhile to play with it.

Here is the door I had put in between CC and warmer.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
  • And it fits humans! Been looking for one of those. Would you mind sharing his number? 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • AlbertaEgger
    And it fits humans! Been looking for one of those. Would you mind sharing his number? 

You lost me? Whos number?
  • And it fits humans! Been looking for one of those. Would you mind sharing his number? 

The guy who built the pit. Just kidding about the humans of course. I just always find it funny to see humans on/in bbq pits. Meat Monster has pics like that and there were a bunch of people popping out of xxl bge when they first came out. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • AlbertaEgger
    And it fits humans! Been looking for one of those. Would you mind sharing his number? 

The guy who built the pit. Just kidding about the humans of course. I just always find it funny to see humans on/in bbq pits. Meat Monster has pics like that and there were a bunch of people popping out of xxl bge when they first came out. 

The guy who welded it for me isn't a pit builder. He was a friend of a co-worker. His neighbor actually. I supplied him with all the steel, (mostly from scrap yards) besides the expanded metal grates. And provided him with detailed hand drawings of all dimensions and such, internal and ext. He is an amazing welder, but pit building isn't his job or hobby. It was a one off that he did for me over the winter.
  • AlbertaEgger

The guy who built the pit. . 

Is this style offset not fairly common down South? There were pages and pages for sale online when I was looking to purchase, but bringing one up here from down south would cost to much, that's why I decided to build.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Foghorn said:
    Dude.  That rocks.

I was going to add a door from the top of the FB to the warming drawer but decided not to and went from the CC to warmer instead. I am not familiar enough with the temps yet. However, while doing a quick dry run with the vent to the warmer closed the temp was sitting around 150 in the warmer. I had the chimney stack closed on warmer as well. It will take awhile to play with it.

Thanks.

So, with that small opening there is no question that it is just a warming chamber.  I've had desires to use both the vertical and the horizontal components for cooking at time and I've made it work - but it requires a lot of thought and effort.  Ultimately, I decided to just use the vertical cabinet for warming and it has worked out well.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• AlbertaEgger
    Foghorn said:

Thanks.

So, with that small opening there is no question that it is just a warming chamber.  I've had desires to use both the vertical and the horizontal components for cooking at time and I've made it work - but it requires a lot of thought and effort.  Ultimately, I decided to just use the vertical cabinet for warming and it has worked out well.
    I'll play with it, the opening is actually around 4" I think. I'll have to look back. I don't think there will be an issue on this side getting it well over 200. I had it to 150 after a very short while with everything shut. If anything I'll have to leave the chimney wide open and probably crack the door just to use it as a warmer. Ideally I would like to vent it slightly and do jerky on this side while doing longer cooks. I can add more smoke with the a-maze-n smoke tray if needed.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited July 2018
    Great looking smoker. You must do a lot of large parties. I could never fill that thing up. I have a question. Being that its outside uncovered. How are you going to manage rust? You are in Canada correct? I would think that thing would rust up in about a month during the wet seasons.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• AlbertaEgger
    Great looking smoker. You must do a lot of large parties. I could never fill that thing up. I have a question. Being that its outside uncovered. How are you going to manage rust? You are in Canada correct? I would think that thing would rust up in about a month during the wet seasons.

I don't think I would have more issues with rust being in Alberta than down South or on the Coast. I gave it a quick base layer of high temp spay Rust-Oleum last night, I'll do a few more coats over time. Not much else I am going to due to it. It has poured here off and on and the inside stayed dry. I'll keep it well oiled and clean. That's about it for now. Its 3/8 and 1/2" thick, If I take decent care of it I think it will last a pretty long time.
  • Foghorn said:
    Foghorn said:
    Dude.  That rocks.

Thanks.

I have a friend who build one similar to this one, but he did add a damper to add heat directly to the warming box.  It works great.  I'll try to dig up a pic.  

Little Rock, AR

• womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    edited July 2018

You may want to search Craigslist over in Europe for "Brazen Bull". I'm sure there's a few around for a reasonable price.
  • Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    ALL I CAN SAY IS "WOW!!!"   Congrats on a great rig!
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    This is my newest gravity feed build.  Can’t wait to do the seasoning heat run!