Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone use a Chimney to get lump coal going?

Hello again.  the guy who sold us our BGE also has one. He uses a Chimney with the BGE speedy light to get lump coals going at first. Anyone else do this?  Or should I return it?  Thanks!  
Patty
Big Green Egg Newbie
Maryland

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Used to do this with oil soaked paper towel.  Works well but not ideal for low and slow cooks unless you start just a very little lump.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,868
    Invest in a propane torch or similar.  It’ll be worth it.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Your about to get LOTS of answers on this!!!  Be prepared!

I use a chimney when i’m Starting with a fresh load of lump and have for over 15 years.  Recently I went to Propane/MAPP to Re-light and reuse charcoal that is in the egg from a prior cook.

lots of options!  After burning up my second electric starter I gave that up and went the chimney route!  Good luck and welcome to the “collective”!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Generally I find I can dump briquettes into a chimney with little fuss or dust as they are uniform in size. I drop the chimney onto the side burner or one burner of the Camp Chef and in a minute or two they are lit. The chimney sits in the Weber until ashes over, then I dump it. (light the WSM with a weed burner)
    Lump is another thing. not uniform and difficult to dump into the chimney without using your hands or tongs. Much easier to dump lump directly into the egg, then light it on the top near the front with a torch. No fuss no muss and easy to control the size and placement of the lit lump. You also do not have to walk around with a chimney full of hot coals with embers potentially falling out. 
    If you go the torch route you need a torch like the Bernzomatic 4000 or equivalent, something that will burn when inverted. You can use cheap 16oz disposable propane bottles. Last a long time. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I tried a chimney with lump... once.

And only once.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    You can also cook on and under the chimney as an option!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    I use a chimney with lump sometimes to get a bed of coals in my fire pit prior to adding wood.

But never with the BGE.  Like others above, I use a propane torch.  Depending on the cook, I might just light one small spot, or I might get three locations going.  The torch gives you great control to where you light the lump.  
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    You can also cook on and under the chimney as an option!
    Got a wok? =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited June 2018
    Its all I use...pay for the chimney once....left over lump, paper from lump bag only cost is from the bic ...plus IMO it gives a running start....that being said, there is no wrong say
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I have in the past. It works reasonably well, but with the lump being irregular in size in shape, it's hard to get a lot of lump into the chimney starter.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    GregW said:
    I have in the past. It works reasonably well, but with the lump being irregular in size in shape, it's hard to get a lot of lump into the chimney starter.
    It's why I use left over lump
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    lkapigian said:
    GregW said:
    It's why I use left over lump
    You have a good point, one that I have not considered. I will give it a try.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I don’t find chimney starters very conducive to egg cooking. Great for many other cookers. Some issues listed above and you can’t really easily leave the chimney in the egg as you would with say a kettlewhile it gets going. It’s just messy, inconvenient, and inefficient IMO. Others will see it differently I’m sure. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Cotton balls with alcohol, or used paper towels with cooking oil. Both get it going pretty quick. I use an old ball jar for keeping either of the two readily available. Cheap fast and for us old lazy guys.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Once you have a Kick-Ash Basket, after shaking the used lump just put your newspaper/paper towel in the bottom of the Egg bowl (spritzed with oil), replace the basket, add more lump if necessary, and light through the bottom vent.  The Egg itself is your chimney; why have an extraneous piece of hardware, and the possibility of spilling a smaller, lit chunk on your deck, or dog?    

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Yup. Chimney with lump goes on the side burner of my gasser.  Works great. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    I have one and use it a lot to start my Egg. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    I use the chimney starter exclusively.   Its fast, efficient, and uses cheap fuel to ignite charcoal
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    I have tried almost everything and still use a chimney. I don't have a good reason why.
    But I agree with all the drawbacks others have mentioned - especially pouring out hot charcoal. Embers can definitely get loose. Could be a problem in some locations. 
    New Orleans LA
  • Vegas Eggus
    Vegas Eggus Posts: 152
    For direct grilling I always use one with a 1/2 sheet of bacon grease soaked paper towel. Works very well and is basically free because I'd be cooking the bacon and soaking the grease up with the paper towels anyway. 
    For low and slow I use 3 small pieces of the sawdust paraffin fire starters. 
  • jwc6160
    jwc6160 Posts: 218
    I have one, but don’t use it often. I will use it sometimes for cooking burgers so the coals below are spread out and heated more even. 95% of the time I just use my weed burner though. After reading this, I probably won’t use it any more. I never even considered just putting some paper under my kick ash basket. That is basically the same as using a chimney. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    it is all I have ever used - and my son does as well with his Egg. 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    I do every time.

I open the egg stir up the left over lump, take a plastic cup and scoop some of lump out- the amount varies on a few options.  Based on Lump Left in egg I add more.  

Take Chimney to Gas Grill and use external burner- How long I leave here depends on low/ slow or more of a grill cook.  Dump in Egg and so on.  Based on below I never really let the chimney reach inferno- no point.

Options on amount of lump-
    Enough to cook what I want to cook- Scoop some lump and dump back in when appropriately lit in Chimney
    Medium amount of lump in Egg- Stir existing and add fresh lump from bag into chimney
    Not that much lump- pull as much out as I can into chimney and add full load of lump from bag into egg.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX said:
    I do every time.

I open the egg stir up the left over lump, take a plastic cup and scoop some of lump out- the amount varies on a few options.  Based on Lump Left in egg I add more.  

Take Chimney to Gas Grill and use external burner- How long I leave here depends on low/ slow or more of a grill cook.  Dump in Egg and so on.  Based on below I never really let the chimney reach inferno- no point.

Options on amount of lump-
    Enough to cook what I want to cook- Scoop some lump and dump back in when appropriately lit in Chimney
    Medium amount of lump in Egg- Stir existing and add fresh lump from bag into chimney
    Not that much lump- pull as much out as I can into chimney and add full load of lump from bag into egg.

Adding pic of chimney on Gas Grill burner
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • A chimney works well, but unless you have it sitting in the egg, it is not easy to get it to the egg to dump it in without small pieces of lit charcoal from falling out of the bottom of the chimney. I have used cubes, electric starter, chimney, and oiled paper towels before switching to the cane torch. It is all I use now.
    Image result for weed burner torch lowes
  • xfire_ATX
    A chimney works well, but unless you have it sitting in the egg, it is not easy to get it to the egg to dump it in without small pieces of lit charcoal from falling out of the bottom of the chimney.
    After stepping on a piece barefoot I now wear shoes

• Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    I used to use the chimney only for the smokey joe when camping, etc.  Since my electric hot iron starter died a few months ago I have been using the chimney for the egg and like it.  I seem to have more consistent burns now.  I take my hands and spread any old lump in the egg up against the walls and make a "hole" and then dump the lit lump in the center and use some tongs to spread the old and/or add new on top.  So far is working great for me.
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • BigGreenBean
    BigGreenBean Posts: 117
    I'm a newbie, but I love the chimney.  I use the used lump, only about half the chimney, with a paper towel with a little canola oil soaked in to light.  10 minutes and it's ready.  It has already lit the coals completely underneath.  Dump in, agitate a bit with ash tool, and away we go.  I see no reason for an elaborate torch or some such, but to each his own.
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • @BigGreenBean said  "I see no reason for an elaborate torch or some such, but to each his own."
    I did not know that Rube Goldberg designed torches. I would love to see one in action.
    :)