Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone use a Chimney to get lump coal going?

Options
2»

Comments

• Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    I use the chimney starter , placed inside an old cake pan on my concrete patio. When it is ready grab my high temp gloves and BGE grate tool and keep the pan under the chimney, dump the coals and any that fell into the cake pan. No hot coals falling on my feet or the ground.
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I like Weber starter cubes cheap and work great 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

You guys are overlooking the perfect justification to get a blackstone.  A blackstone produces free fire starters that work every single time.  Clean your blackstone - towels go in a coffee can.  Ball up and light in the egg.  

The blackstone should really be sold as a package deal with eggs.

Phoenix 
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    I've tried to use one many times. It really struggles with lump that's been in the egg for a while, drawing moisture. Usually need two rounds of paper to get it going. Eventually I got tired of it and went back to starter cubes. I also don't seem able to get lump going with a torch. I'll hold it in one spot for a minute, and it still goes out. The only thing I can count on are cubes, Weber or sawdust.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• jamesj
    jamesj Posts: 36
    Options
    I read a few replys so not sure if anyone said this but, I like things simple and you can not get any more simple then dump your lump in the egg, place fire started square, light fire started square, wait 15 minutes.    
    Large BGE  Houston TX
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    None of these things are necessary.  I use a scrap of paver/coping to dig out the center of the lump (til I can see the fire grate).  Put a folded up bacon fat soaked paper towel down there.  Strategically arrange a few pieces of lump near or across the towel.  Light the paper towel.  Leave the dome open and bottom vent wide open.  In 10min, I have a ripping fire.