Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RIP Anthony Bourdain

Comments

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    edited June 2018
    I’m not ready to revere him - I’m pissed at the MF-er!

Whatever the issues he had, he got through 61 years with them.  Stick it out to the end, ya big pu$$y!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Maybe he was extremely brave making it this far. 
  • Stubby
    Stubby Posts: 134
    Really sad, loved his shows... Sucks for his family and really his daughter.. 
    XL.......for now

Kernersville, NC
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    Really sad. He was a different kind of guy. I did enjoy his older shows.
    I used to watch his show, but I stopped following him when CNN  picked him up.
  • GrillSgt
    Because it was CNN? 
  • JoeA
    JoeA Posts: 31
    RIP Bourdain.  Not saying I condone suicide....  All too often i feel society as a whole puts an importance on how someone dies and completely forgets how that person lived.  Guess it's human nature.  I enjoyed No Reservations very much.  
  • GrillSgt said:
    Because it was CNN? 
    Maybe he is in a Nielsen Family. If I was I would never watch CNN.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    edited June 2018
    GrillSgt said:
    Because it was CNN? 
    No, I just felt he kinda sold out to go with such a big sponsor. I don't have any problem with CNN or Bourdain.

• jimdgreat1
    jimdgreat1 Posts: 175

XLBGE - LBGE - Charbroil gasgrill

Wichita Kansas

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    GregW said:
    GrillSgt said:
    Because it was CNN? 
    No, I just felt he kinda sold out to go with such a big sponsor. I don't have any problem with CNN or Bourdain.

I generally preferred his CNN "Parts Unknown" over "No Reservations" and I'm not alone:

"As someone who defaults to "only liking the old stuff" due to pure **** millennial reflex, it was easy for me to ignore Bourdain's post-NR venture. Why watch this new show when his old catalog will always be best? Doesn't this new CNN series scream "sell-out"? Well, in advance of Parts Unknown's new season, I binge-watched Bourdain binge-eating/drinking, and came out the other side with this realization: his new(er) show is smarter, sharper, raunchier, more nuanced, and ultimately more illuminating than anything Tony put out during his NR days. And it only took me three years and six seasons to notice."

I'm sure CNN will be running a Bourdain marathon sometime in the coming weeks so you should give a couple episodes a look.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,866
    One of the pieces today mentioned that he basically kept the same team between the two shows, and that not a whole lot really changed.

Another said he was always 20 minutes early for any interview.  Mad respect for that.  Prima donna he was not. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    Yeah that’s ... not cool.
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker, I’m glad to know that there are some other WTF’ers here on the forum.  Maron does such a great job with his show.  I love learning about people I’ve often never heard of.  Biggest take away for me is that we are all human and everyone has a story.  
    XL  Central Ohio
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    SSQUAL612 said:
    • Qjimdgreat1 said:
      SERIOUSLY?   Wish Buffalo could delete random post versus the whole thread...talk about a douche.  
    That looks pretty tongue-in-cheek to me, and just a tribute to his wicked sense of humor.  But I may be wrong.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Tragic. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    edited June 2018
    Admired his spirit & his daringness to expand our paradigms with creative culinary fusion.   He packed a lot of living into 61 years...RIP Anthony.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    One of the pieces today mentioned that he basically kept the same team between the two shows, and that not a whole lot really changed.

Another said he was always 20 minutes early for any interview.  Mad respect for that.  Prima donna he was not. 
    I recall an interview with him from a couple years ago where he said he was grateful that CNN gave him more budget than he really needed and more editorial freedom than he had before.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    HeavyG said:

I recall an interview with him from a couple years ago where he said he was grateful that CNN gave him more budget than he really needed and more editorial freedom than he had before.
    Yeah I don’t really see the “sellout” here but whatever.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Give me a budget to eat drink and travel, and put together a film.
    I think people would easily tire of somebody using an I phone, to video me doing the drive through window at Hardees, rejoicing over their chicken on a  biscuit, with hash browns and 100% pure flavored orange juice from concentrate.
    Dude knew how to eat and drink, and brought a lot of attitude. Enjoyed his take.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • I thought you were a chich-fil-a guy. What’s this Hardee’s crap?

Little Rock, AR

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2018
    I thought you were a chich-fil-a guy. What’s this Hardee’s crap?
    Scratch biscuits and gravy special on Sunday's are legendary.  Bourdain would approve, no doubt.  I'm sorry you don't have a Hardee's.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• JohnEggGio
    edited June 2018
    I’m not ready to revere him - I’m pissed at the MF-er!

Whatever the issues he had, he got through 61 years with them.  Stick it out to the end, ya big pu$$y!
    3 flags - whatever.  I’m a big fan, thought it might have been the best show on tv.  He and I are the exact same age.  5 minutes from home tonight I turned on the radio - Neil Young’s “The Needle and the Damage Done” - I played it twice - thought about AB and almost cried.

The last few weeks life has kept me busy - I have a few episodes I recorded but I’ve not seen yet.   Don’t know when I’ll watch them, but I will.

He committed the ultimate selfish act - a young daughter who needed him, others who loved him, many relied on him for their livelihoods - he decides he’s had enough?.  “Check please!  I’m outta here!”

He would have said the same damn thing. “Put on your big boy pants, and get through it!”

He “took a walk through this beautiful world” and then pulled the plug - the selfish a-hole.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • JohnEggGio
    With all due respect, I’m guessing you don’t have much experience with mental illness in your family.  It’s not an issue of character.
    I appreciate your comment, John.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • GrillSgt
    Never thought of Bourdain as a sellout. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Right now, 6 of the top 10 books on Amazon are by Bourdain.  I think he had many more fans than was appreciated.