Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ButtBlast 2018

Options

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit your 'Shine was a highlight for sure.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Waiting on a fresh batch of ingredients!
    Many thanks go out to Nichols brother (@bgebrent s BIL) for picking of some bloody ingredients on the way in.  I had a large batch made up and the container fell and busted open....it didn’t get us down....we got by with a little help from my friends. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Many thanks go out to Nichols brother (@bgebrent s BIL) for picking of some bloody ingredients on the way in.  I had a large batch made up and the container fell and busted open....it didn’t get us down....we got by with a little help from my friends. 
    Did make you pretty grumpy for a while though. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • northGAcock
    Options
    caliking said:
    DMW said:
    DMW said:
    Sat night after party in full swing - @caliking just chugged bourbon slushee right out of the bag.

I have video, but cell service will not support uploading and publishing to YoutYou.
    I’ll wait. 
    As promised:
    https://youtu.be/rgMDboTatjA

So good and I am not even remotely surprised. Sruti’s
    eyes could probably not roll any further back while this was going by on. Greatness. 
    Per plan, she and caliprince were sent to bed soon after the pakodas were done. :smiley:
    It was a pleasure to meet you and your family. The basil was priceless!

• northGAcock
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    My stupidity gets into my way often!

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    The hippy got grumpy?  He must be hanging around that bitter friend of his in Dalton. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    thetrim said:
    @Killit_and_Grillit your 'Shine was a highlight for sure.
    Oh you didn’t put that **** in your body did you? 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Funny definition of “fell and busted” even after you were warned.  Physics is a ****.  Gary and Kristin were delighted to replenish your stores.  And I was delighted by the beverage.  Only reason that black brisket turned out.  Thanks brother ****.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Jeremiah said:
    The hippy got grumpy?  He must be hanging around that bitter friend of his in Dalton. 
    The grumpy one....

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Jeremiah said:
    The grumpy one....
    Well, he had to use a plastic fork, what can you expect?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    Options
    That’s not grumpy Robin.  That’s being in touch with his feminine side.
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Jeremiah said:
    The grumpy one....
    Looks like he’s getting ready to stab you with that plastic fork. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Do the wemens at the University of Kentucky look like that or something?  :fearful:  Never going there. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    bgebrent said:
    Do the wemens at the University of Kentucky look like that or something?  :fearful:  Never going there. 
    No.  The women at UK are smokin hot.  The wemens at USC look like that.  I’ve seen it.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    $20.00, in it for you if you let me pull the trigger, twice.
    $40 if you shoot it next year hanging from the flagpole of @northGAcock
    I am in
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Then we’re at $80.  Do I here $100?
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I am bringing my shot gun, just in case.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I didn’t get a ton of pics, and think I've already posted what I have, so just a couple of thoughts/memories on this weekend.  

I see a lot of folks thanking me and Matt and Gary, and I'm sure the other guys appreciate that as much as I do, but the truth is that this is a lot of fun to put on.  And we're not the stars of the show.  A lot of work goes into this and the vast majority of it is done by the people who show up with their own food and cook for everyone.  So thanks to all of the cooks, first of all!  And thank you to all who turned out for the event on Saturday to come and try the food and help us eat as much of it as we could!

Some highlights for me:

1) Realizing somewhere on I-40 I'd left basil at home, and texting @caliking to see if he could pick me some up.  Then @caliking showing up with two full-grown basil plants.  Classic.

2) Running into @henapple Friday afternoon.  He'd actually told us he couldn't make it, so we had no idea he'd be there.  Best surprise I've had in a long time.  

3) @nolaegghead asking if he could borrow my pizza turner.  Sure I said, not even bothering to ask him what he needed it for.  Well he proceeded to stir his big batch of boiling crawfish with it, then return it to me with it bent at about 45 degrees.  "You're a mechanical engineer, you can bend it back" he said.  Later on I spotted him stealing my Roccbox peel to help funnel the crawfish into place.  That guy - gotta keep an eye on him.  

4) Making the very drunk call somewhere around 9pm Friday night to use the rest of my pizza dough.  I think those last couple of pies actually came out better than the others.  There's a lesson there for the future I guess. 

5) Messing with @bgebrent throughout the weekend.  Multiple Duke and UK magnets were exchanged and re-arranged continuously.  Finding my Yeti cup with the D and E taped over them. 

6) @DMW's breakfast sandwiches with scrapple, eggs, and cheese.  Damn those were good.  Just what I needed, along with the bloody Marys from @northGAcock to recover from the night before.  

7) My parents showing up and me introducing them to some of the regulars.  By the way, my Dad told me that it was pretty cool that everyone there seemed to really like me, so thank you all for being such skilled liars.   

@YukonRon met them and was carrying a big bag of bourbon slushies.  Did I want one? - he asked me in front of my parents.  Of course I said.  While I held the cup out, Ron poured the equivalent of an entire first one onto my arm and hand, missing the cup by a good half foot, before finally filling the cup.  In his defense, it's possible he'd had a few on his own by that point, as well as some other incapacitating substances.  It was absolutely hilarious.  

8) Nola telling my mother that I'd gotten really good at telling jokes that started with "Your mom..." Classic.  

9) @CTMike delivering a piece of the hog's cheek to me and a few others.  Damn that was perfect.  The rest of it was just as good.  Heard more than a few people comment on just how good that hog was.  

10) @bgebrent brisket Sat night.  He absolutely nailed it.  Then there was @YukonRon's beef tenderloin sliders, @Eggcelsior's pit beef, Nichole's pecan pie, Nola's crawfish, and finally @caliking's fritters.  It was all amazing.  Someone commented that the best food in all of NC was probably right there at Ron's camper that night.  I'm hard-pressed to disagree.  

11) Nola and Dwayne effing around with the fire Saturday night. At one point Nola threw an entire jug of oil, plastic and all, with almost no warning into the fire.  I've never seen a bunch of drunk people move so fast.  

12) @caliking chugging bourbon slushy mix straight from the bag, while @Killit_and_Grillit held the bag.  Then everyone chanting "Ahh-sheesh!  Ahh-sheesh!"  Only at a ButtBlast will you find a bunch of drunk white people cheering on an Indian guy as he chugs a frozen bourbon slushy near a camp fire in the middle of a state park in NC late on a Saturday night.  

Truly a Blast worth remembering.  Thanks again folks!  

John your 100% correct it's a collaborative effort of many fine folks Butt! if the three of you J, M, G hadn't realized that the Great State of North Carolina wasn't having any kind of an Eggfest and enquired on this forum as to make one happen the last three Butt Blast would have never happened. I'm glad I replied to someone that asked how do you make an Eggfest happen three years ago, if my memory serves me correctly I said something like it's simple ya need a place to have it and someone to pull it all together. That's when the three of you got busy and Butt Blast was born......... and has just excelled each year. After Egging since 2005 Kay and I have attended many Eggfest while all of them are great some are just better for Kay and I, Butt Blast has become one we feel welcomed at like family by so many people from far and wide and that is why BB is on our must attend Fest.... FYI it's a county park! Your new forum handle is Chocolate/Salted Caramel Pot King soon to be Butterscotch Pot King. I'm sorry I didn't get to meet your Mom and Dad. What are next years dates so I can put it on the calendar. I'm just overwhelmed at the response of the magnitude of this event, so many come and work so hard to just share a good time for a very short time expecting nothing in return. I feel privileged to be a part of it all. :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Dunno about all you jackwagons, but I’ve got my cook for BB19 already planned :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    caliking said:
    Dunno about all you jackwagons, but I’ve got my cook for BB19 already planned :smiley:
    Over achiever.  I've only got my beverage plan already.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I just keep kicking myself in the a$$.  Looks like the best one yet. Oh well, your kids only grow up once...
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    caliking said:
    Over achiever.  I've only got my beverage plan already.
    Outsourced. @YukonRon ‘s and @northGAcock ‘s beverage plan served me well. 

Too well, maybe. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    caliking said:
    I like the way you think man!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    caliking said:
    The sheer fact that you don’t believe Butt Blast VII will have to be renamed the First Annual Cali King Memorial Blast is ambitious. 

South of Nashville, TN

• bgebrent
    Options
    And, it's BB IV =)
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options

I didn’t get a ton of pics, and think I've already posted what I have, so just a couple of thoughts/memories on this weekend.  

I see a lot of folks thanking me and Matt and Gary, and I'm sure the other guys appreciate that as much as I do, but the truth is that this is a lot of fun to put on.  And we're not the stars of the show.  A lot of work goes into this and the vast majority of it is done by the people who show up with their own food and cook for everyone.  So thanks to all of the cooks, first of all!  And thank you to all who turned out for the event on Saturday to come and try the food and help us eat as much of it as we could!

Some highlights for me:

1) Realizing somewhere on I-40 I'd left basil at home, and texting @caliking to see if he could pick me some up.  Then @caliking showing up with two full-grown basil plants.  Classic.

2) Running into @henapple Friday afternoon.  He'd actually told us he couldn't make it, so we had no idea he'd be there.  Best surprise I've had in a long time.  

3) @nolaegghead asking if he could borrow my pizza turner.  Sure I said, not even bothering to ask him what he needed it for.  Well he proceeded to stir his big batch of boiling crawfish with it, then return it to me with it bent at about 45 degrees.  "You're a mechanical engineer, you can bend it back" he said.  Later on I spotted him stealing my Roccbox peel to help funnel the crawfish into place.  That guy - gotta keep an eye on him.  

4) Making the very drunk call somewhere around 9pm Friday night to use the rest of my pizza dough.  I think those last couple of pies actually came out better than the others.  There's a lesson there for the future I guess. 

5) Messing with @bgebrent throughout the weekend.  Multiple Duke and UK magnets were exchanged and re-arranged continuously.  Finding my Yeti cup with the D and E taped over them. 

6) @DMW's breakfast sandwiches with scrapple, eggs, and cheese.  Damn those were good.  Just what I needed, along with the bloody Marys from @northGAcock to recover from the night before.  

7) My parents showing up and me introducing them to some of the regulars.  By the way, my Dad told me that it was pretty cool that everyone there seemed to really like me, so thank you all for being such skilled liars.   

@YukonRon met them and was carrying a big bag of bourbon slushies.  Did I want one? - he asked me in front of my parents.  Of course I said.  While I held the cup out, Ron poured the equivalent of an entire first one onto my arm and hand, missing the cup by a good half foot, before finally filling the cup.  In his defense, it's possible he'd had a few on his own by that point, as well as some other incapacitating substances.  It was absolutely hilarious.  

8) Nola telling my mother that I'd gotten really good at telling jokes that started with "Your mom..." Classic.  

9) @CTMike delivering a piece of the hog's cheek to me and a few others.  Damn that was perfect.  The rest of it was just as good.  Heard more than a few people comment on just how good that hog was.  

10) @bgebrent brisket Sat night.  He absolutely nailed it.  Then there was @YukonRon's beef tenderloin sliders, @Eggcelsior's pit beef, Nichole's pecan pie, Nola's crawfish, and finally @caliking's fritters.  It was all amazing.  Someone commented that the best food in all of NC was probably right there at Ron's camper that night.  I'm hard-pressed to disagree.  

11) Nola and Dwayne effing around with the fire Saturday night. At one point Nola threw an entire jug of oil, plastic and all, with almost no warning into the fire.  I've never seen a bunch of drunk people move so fast.  

12) @caliking chugging bourbon slushy mix straight from the bag, while @Killit_and_Grillit held the bag.  Then everyone chanting "Ahh-sheesh!  Ahh-sheesh!"  Only at a ButtBlast will you find a bunch of drunk white people cheering on an Indian guy as he chugs a frozen bourbon slushy near a camp fire in the middle of a state park in NC late on a Saturday night.  

Truly a Blast worth remembering.  Thanks again folks!  

John your 100% correct it's a collaborative effort of many fine folks Butt! if the three of you J, M, G hadn't realized that the Great State of North Carolina wasn't having any kind of an Eggfest and enquired on this forum as to make one happen the last three Butt Blast would have never happened. I'm glad I replied to someone that asked how do you make an Eggfest happen three years ago, if my memory serves me correctly I said something like it's simple ya need a place to have it and someone to pull it all together. That's when the three of you got busy and Butt Blast was born......... and has just excelled each year. After Egging since 2005 Kay and I have attended many Eggfest while all of them are great some are just better for Kay and I, Butt Blast has become one we feel welcomed at like family by so many people from far and wide and that is why BB is on our must attend Fest.... FYI it's a county park! Your new forum handle is Chocolate/Salted Caramel Pot King soon to be Butterscotch Pot King. I'm sorry I didn't get to meet your Mom and Dad. What are next years dates so I can put it on the calendar. I'm just overwhelmed at the response of the magnitude of this event, so many come and work so hard to just share a good time for a very short time expecting nothing in return. I feel privileged to be a part of it all. :)
    Thank you Jim!  It is really a ton of fun for us to have you and Kay there.  You guys are always some of the first to roll out some amazing food first thing.  And nobody can take your place running the raffle, although I think you’ve got quite the apprentice there in @Jeremiah’s little girl.  

Haven’t talked to Matt or Gary yet about 2019 but this will probably always be held the next to last weekend of April.  The timing just seems to work for lots of folks and we’ve been so lucky with the weather this time of year... why mess with a good thing?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Then we’re at $80.  Do I here $100?
    Stop pissing of the Bloody King!!!!!!!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    caliking said:

HELLO I'm not a jackwagon! it's Jackass!!!!!!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer