Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Very sad day, indeed RIP Little Steven (from Stike)

LittleSteven (Steve Nelson) passed away today. 

Sudden illness, but we thought it was a decent prognosis. Of course, the universe thought otherwise, and took him.

He was a good friend. The most generous person that forum ever knew. And if no one knows that, it's because he kept it on the down-low. 

He lost his son last month, and had been dealing with it as best he could, when this curveball came his way. 

A visit to the hospital for a sudden issue, followed by a downturn.

Ain't fair 

I'm not on the forum, and can't post. 

If you guys could dig up some of his funnier momenta and memories, that'd be fitting

I remember laughing my ass off when he emailed me privately about this guy on the forum named "big green dave" and his Bordeaux wines, and how he wanted to pick me up and drive down to get the leftovers. All the while he never knew I was actually BigGreenDave

Broke his heart when i told him. Hahah

And the fishing stories, with me, him and Zippylip and Fidel....

Well. We're running through them the past fews hours while we slowly (quickly?) drain our respective bottles in his memory

Sad sad day

He was an absolute gem

Hope you are well. Say hi to those who care. And even to those who don't 

Post the info. And/or this email. 

Stike
Darby 
BigGreenDave
Etc.

PS: here's one fishing story. We went fishing for about five days when we went to the Georgia Mountain Eggfest. Rented a cabin. Last day I went around to collect the linens and in Steven's room they were still in the bag, folded. He'd slept on the bare plastic covered mattress all week. 

Funny fvcking guy. God speed you canadian midget bast^rd. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• F@ck me. One of the greats. Im stunned. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,871
    I kept waiting for the punchline in this post.  It never came.  Damn.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Damn.  That's awful.  Only knew him on here, but he was a gem.  RIP.
    NOLA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    He gave my swag away, but I forgave the small funny man with a giant heart.
    Never got to meet him in person, but he helped me out when I was getting started on here. Tis a sad day.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Damn, I deeply regret not meeting him at the Salado Eggfest a few years back.  RIP LS, you were one of my favorites!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • No punchline coming. We lost a great one
    today. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    We lost a great one
    today. 
    I sure hate to hear it. I never met him in person, but I certainly liked the forum character. May he Rest In Peace. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,128
    Sorry to hear about that. Prayers for his family. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    I think everyone on here learned something from him. His lack of input on here more recently was certainly missed. Never met him, but very sorry to hear this news.
    Stillwater, MN
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Sad to hear, he was very active when I joined.  He was all about some throw downs.  A stand up all around good guy, will be missed for sure. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited April 2018
    I don't know how to process this. I can only hope this is some kind of troll post.

I cooked with him at Salado a few years back. He had mad skilz. Even if I couldn't convince him that  "Rogan Josht" wasn't a real thing (its Rogan Josh, ya wee man!!). Spent the afterhours drinking with him and his bride, as he had the cottage next to us that year. He taught me the gravity of what it meant when your SWMBO gives you the "big eyes" at 2am because she's had it  with trying to put caliprince to bed. 

This chokes me up, and saddens me no end. I'll pour one out for you,  Steven. And many more. 

Peace, brother. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    edited April 2018
    caliking said:
    I don't know how to process this. I can only hope this is some kind of troll post.

I cooked with him at Salado a few years back. He had mad skilz. Even if I couldn't convince him that  "Rogan Josht" wasn't a real thing (its Rogan Josh, ya wee man!!). Spent the afterhours drinking with him and his bride, as he had the cottage next to us that year. He taught me the gravity of what it meant when your SWMBO gives you the "big eyes" at 2am because she's had with it trying to put caliprince to bed. 

This chokes me up, and saddens me no end. I'll pour one out for you,  Steven. And many more. 

Peace, brother. 
    I think that is when I met him (and you) as well.  It is tough to lose folks so young (though I guess we aren’t all that young anymore).  I believe your cook produced the Curry Egg, now residing on @CT’s porch. 

All our condolences to his family. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    The year that he made it to Salado, he prepped and brought pork satay. FROM CANADA!! Figured out how to (legally) make through customs with the meat, and then somehow convinced me to cook it for him in the evening. While he drank Tony's beer and shot the sh!t with everyone.  

Wish I could do it again. 

• caliking said:

I cooked with him at Salado a few years back. He had mad skilz. Even if I couldn't convince him that  "Rogan Josht" wasn't a real thing (its Rogan Josh, ya wee man!!). Spent the afterhours drinking with him and his bride, as he had the cottage next to us that year. He taught me the gravity of what it meant when your SWMBO gives you the "big eyes" at 2am because she's had with it trying to put caliprince to bed. 

Peace, brother. 
    I still have that egg you guys polluted that day. I bought it and I’ll never sell it.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    RIP brother.

Met him at the GA MTN fest, cool guy.
    I'll roll some smoke in honor this weekend.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I’m stunned.  So sorry to hear this. 
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    So sorry to hear this.  
    He lost his son the month before, how is his wife doing?  Anyone in contact?  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

RIP.  Sorry for your loss, for all that knew him personally.  

Phoenix 
  • caliking
    caliking said:

Peace, brother. 
    I still have that egg you guys polluted that day. I bought it and I’ll never sell it.
    Almost forgot about curry egg. She couldn't have a better home. 

• caliking said:
    caliking said:

Peace, brother. 
    Almost forgot about curry egg. She couldn't have a better home. 
    I’ll be doing one for my homie on that egg tomorrow. 

• Botch said:
    So sorry to hear this.  
    He lost his son the month before, how is his wife doing?  Anyone in contact?  
    I think Stike is but I’m just hearing this as you guys are. I didn’t know about that and don’t know the details. I’ll pass along anything I hear as appropriate
  • 20stone said:
    caliking said:

Peace, brother. 
    I think that is when I met him (and you) as well.  It is tough to lose folks so young (though I guess we aren’t all that young anymore).  I believe your cook produced the Curry Egg, now residing on @CT’s porch. 

Allour condolences to his family. 
    That is when I met all you guys. Steven, Cali, Dwayne, JIC. I may be mixing a few years up but I’m close. And yes, the curry egg has a lifetime appointment on my porch. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    Sounds like quite a good man. May he RIP.

Next time there is one of those "should I eat it" threads we need to remember to post this story about "Steven's Luggage Chicken" in his honor!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• caliking
    The best part is putting it in the fridge... after 80°F x 24hrs!

• Jonnysouth
    Jonnysouth Posts: 162
    My condolences! Always enjoyed reading what LS had to say. I was raised in Alberta so those Northerners from the Great White North tend to get my attention. RIP Little Steven!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    edited April 2018
    Wow.  Just wow.  Never met him in person, but always enjoyed his posts and sense of humour.  Thank you for letting us know.

Might try some luggage chicken this weekend.  The weather has been warm.  Anyone have a recipe?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    edited April 2018
    Very sad indeed, I'm lost for words. Rest in peace my friend.

canuckland