Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Very sad day, indeed RIP Little Steven (from Stike)

Options

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited April 2018
    Options
    This photo reminds me of @maXim from Montreal, it was the first Niagara fest 2009, Little Steven 'recruited' him to help with skewering and cooking satay, poor guy worked his tail off (I'm sure @caliking can attest to that), never saw him and his significant other again  =)

canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    We are privileged/honoured to be close enough to attend Steven's memorial service with his family and friends.
    canuckland
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I fired up my egg tonight and thought man... I’ve been away from this site too long.

I didn’t know him personally but enjoyed many of his posts for sure on that run I had spending every day here getting to know and learn my eggs.

sorry to hear of his passing , may he RIP. 

Seattle, WA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Thank you all for the share on LS.  Truly one of the best.  Great legacy here.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,089
    Options
    Thank you for sharing the pics from the memorial and the closeups of the recipies cards/memorial .... which is a fantastic thing to do.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Thank you @Canugghead. I think this Sunday’s cook may just have to be in honour of Little Steven. 
    In fact maybe we all should pick a day and everyone cook his luggage satay together in appreciation and respect. I’m typing as I think here. I wish I knew when a special day was for him and his family and we could all cook an honourary cook together.
    Now I’m thinking. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    gmac said:
    Thank you @Canugghead. I think this Sunday’s cook may just have to be in honour of Little Steven. 
    In fact maybe we all should pick a day and everyone cook his luggage satay together in appreciation and respect. I’m typing as I think here. I wish I knew when a special day was for him and his family and we could all cook an honourary cook together.
    Now I’m thinking. 
    How about May 7th (his birthday)? 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    gmac said:
    Now I’m thinking. 
    We could do Sunday the 6th as Little Steven Day. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    gmac said:
    Now I’m thinking. 
    We could do Sunday the 6th as Little Steven Day. 
     I'm in.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Works for me. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,383
    Options
    Post KY Derby day it is.  I may have to just do the upside down chix as anything beyond that may be pushing the limits on that particular Sunday.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    +++Knew him well.  He loved to fish and a few years back he, Norma and sister were in town for a fest.  Florida Pool Boy Steve and I chartered a boat to go off shore fishing, lots of beer was consumed and ONE small mahi mahi was captured for dinner $350 dollar fish, it was small.  How about Cinco de Mayo for the cook offf as he loved a party RIP.
  • McNuttly
    McNuttly Posts: 99
    Options
    with Steven, Ginny, Kim & Rodney in Ocala, 2009 right before he tricked the rest of us into cooking his food, he was slippery like that

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    +++Knew him well.  He loved to fish and a few years back he, Norma and sister were in town for a fest.  Florida Pool Boy Steve and I chartered a boat to go off shore fishing, lots of beer was consumed and ONE small mahi mahi was captured for dinner $350 dollar fish, it was small.  How about Cinco de Mayo for the cook offf as he loved a party RIP.
    Perfect. That’s his Bday weekend too so we will do May 4-7 as the Little Steven Memorial Cook thread. Post your cooks, stories, drinks, etc. I’ll start a new thread on May 1st to give everyone time to get to the beer store. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,383
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker - thanks for taking the lead here.  I will stock and pound several beers from the GWN throughout.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker - thanks for taking the lead here.  I will stock and pound several beers from the GWN throughout.  
    Me too
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    McNuttly said:
    with Steven, Ginny, Kim & Rodney in Ocala, 2009 right before he tricked the rest of us into cooking his food, he was slippery like that

The pickup in the background is a 1956 (I think) Ford owned by Mainegg's husband, Neil. Beautiful restoration!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    What does Neil's pickup have to do with LS you ask? Nothing really, except 2 years after Ocala, that New Eggland fest is where I met Steve. And Norma, Zip, stike, Kim, Ginny, Mainegg, Neil and Faith. Lousy fest, great friends!! Saw the truck, had to comment. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I’m in.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    So sorry to hear the news of the passing of Little Steven.  Rest in Peace.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I haven't been around here much for the past few months and like many of you, I had never met Little Steven. In fact, I don't recall even seeing a picture of him until now. Saddened by the news, I will certainly remember him each year on May 7 as we share the same birthday. He always livened up this party and was so quick to offer advice. I pray for his family and friends as they grieve his passing. From the sounds of it, if anyone could get fire into heaven, Little Steven got the job done. R.I.P. @Little Steven
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    edited April 2018
    Options
    What does Neil's pickup have to do with LS you ask? Nothing really, except 2 years after Ocala, that New Eggland fest is where I met Steve. And Norma, Zip, stike, Kim, Ginny, Mainegg, Neil and Faith. Lousy fest, great friends!! Saw the truck, had to comment. =)
    2011 New Hampshire Fest, met up with Steven in Boston (& some other guy that lives around there, name escapes me) at some old clam shack, supposed to be the oldest in the country, smelled like it

then moved onto the fest & met up with some other weirdos

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    LOL, who ARE those guys?! 

Only been to the Union Oyster House once. My first thought was... I hope this place never catches on fire! No one will get out of this rat maze!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Don_Piero
    Don_Piero Posts: 97
    Options
    Thats a shocker. Hadn't been on here for a while. Sorry for the late response. He was always helpful with his comments. RIP.
    Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Alright, here's my story about Little Steven.  I was his 2013 Elf Exchange.  He shipped a whole bunch of stuff from Canada to me.  It got caught up in customs and took a long time to finally deliver.  I still have some of these items after all this time.  That Bomba **** is hot as hell, so I still have that open in the fridge right now.  Anyway, like all have said, he was a kind and generous person.  I unfortunately never met him in person, but I loved his comments on the forum.  I dug up the thread for the Elf Exchange and am leaving it here, as my little remembrance of him.  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1159910/post-your-elfster-rub-sauce-exchange-gifts-here/p5
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    500 said:
    Alright, here's my story about Little Steven.  I was his 2013 Elf Exchange.  He shipped a whole bunch of stuff from Canada to me.  It got caught up in customs and took a long time to finally deliver.  I still have some of these items after all this time.  That Bomba **** is hot as hell, so I still have that open in the fridge right now.  Anyway, like all have said, he was a kind and generous person.  I unfortunately never met him in person, but I loved his comments on the forum.  I dug up the thread for the Elf Exchange and am leaving it here, as my little remembrance of him.  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1159910/post-your-elfster-rub-sauce-exchange-gifts-here/p5
    Yeah- whoever got steve in the elf exchange in any given year won the lottery. 
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Still have some of that Little Steven generosity. The bomba is still good. Very tasty actually. I’m gonna use this in some recipe soon and I’ll honor him again. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009