Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The kids came home. I cooked a bunch of stuff...and have a ton of pics

My two kids came home for the weekend. Their plan was to go fishing and enjoy the beautiful spring weather we - were - having. No one expected chill factors in the low 20’s Saturday morning. Jeez, but then, it IS Texas after all. Someone says, “There’s no way it can be in the 90’s one day, then chill factors in the 20’s the next day, then sunny and 80’s the next day.” Texas says, “Hold my beer.”

We still fished and we still feasted.

They got in late on Friday so I cooked some skirt steak on the large seasoned with MeatChurch Holy Cow. I really like this rub on beef that gets cooked hot and fast. We made some tacos and called it good. Onions and peppers were cooked in the wok on the MM.

Saturday morning the kids bundled up and went fishing. I started get stuff ready for an extended tapas party that night. 

While they fished and warmed by the fire, I baked a loaf of sourdough that was cold proofing in the refrigerator.

They rolled in late afternoon and cleaned their fish, then cleaned themselves up. About 7:00 we started cooking, eating, and drinking. I told them the goal was to eat until they were full, then push through and eat until they were miserable. 
I had the kitchen ready for a great evening. 

We started with a cheese and charcuterie board. I only served one meat - but - it was jamon serrano, so they forgave me. Cheeses were smoked Gouda, chipotle Gouda, and Fontina. I also put out some assorted olives and picked garlic. 

The next round was bacon wrapped dates stuffed with pistachio nuts. 

After these we cooked some oysters. These were seasoned with compound butter made with DP Game On rub, smoked Gouda, Chives, and a splash of hot sauce. 

After that I toasted some of that sourdough bread over a few coals I robbed from the wood oven. 

These were served with a few chives, some fleur de sel, and some nice balsamic vinegar. (I’ve used this pic before. The ones I took of the bread were not good. Sorry)

Next I made a round of empanadas. I had made the chicken, green chili, and cream cheese filling along with the dough earlier in the day. I formed the empanadas while the kids cleaned up, so all I had to do was throw ‘em in the oven when we were ready to eat. 

Then we had more oysters.

Then we had some polenta rounds topped with a sun dried tomato sauce and a sauted shrimp. (I had trouble getting a good pic)

Then we had some blistered shishito peppers with a bit of salt and some homemade Chuy’s creamy jalapeno dip.

Then we had more oysters... We finished off three bottles of wine and a few Shiners. We started at 7:00 and we called it a night at around 12:30. Folks, this is a great way to spend an evening with family. I’ve learned the secret is to make just a very few of each appetizer. Don’t fill up on anything. Then cook something else. Everything I made was simple to cook and cooked fairly quickly.  This night took planning but the cooking was easy. There was plenty of time to talk, and drink, and tell stories. I’ve decided this is definitely one of my preferred ways of cooking for family and close friends. Right next to paella...
The kids told me I had to include this shot of me by the oven...

If you made it this far, thanks for looking. I hope your weekend was as blessed as mine was. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    OK, after this, I'm selling all my gear and just go back to making PBnJ sammiches.

Seriously, that's an amazing production right there. Be proud. :clap:

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    DMW said:
    OK, after this, I'm selling all my gear and just go back to making PBnJ sammiches.

Seriously, that's an amazing production right there. Be proud. :clap:

Thanks. It was a great night and everything worked as planned - except for the weather :)
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    PLEASE!!!!!! ADOPT!!!!!!! ME!!!!!!!!

I'd use words but I don't think there are any after seeing this post. I'll just go and mop up my drool...
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SciAggie
    @WeberWho Thanks. It was a memorable evening for sure. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Enjoy the spoils of your labor. The cooking and the great kids. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Wow.  I'd have been patting myself on the back if I did any single part of that feast.  I'm blown away.

Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Incredible.  I'm up for adoption as of now.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Is there a "speechless" emoji on this forum ???

Gary, you've posted some great cooks, but  I really think this is my favorite. For so many reasons. 

Absolutely... Fabulous! And I do mean that.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Outstanding cook!
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Man, you live in a different WORLD than I do, and it is so COOL!!!!  AMAZING!
  • Navymom
    Navymom Posts: 167
    Outstanding as usual. I'm sending my son to your house to fish and eat next time he comes home.
    Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
    Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
    Denton TX
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Wow... Wow....  you are my hero... I’m not pissed at you anymore.... I have seen the light... I can be adopted...... Great job and awesome family time... That’s what it’s all about!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    U
    N
    B
    E
    L
    I
    E
    V
    A
    B
    L
    E
    !
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,717
    I believe they ate very well!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 839
    This was awesome on so many levels.  The memories you are making with your kids in my opinion is even better than the food.  From experiences in my life, moments like this with my dad (farming however and not cooking), make me want to create similar experiences and memories with my kids.  Congrats on a beautiful cook and family.
  • I got tired just looking at this...you did life well over the weekend. 

That shot of the fish and the fire is great. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    There is no way in hell that I show this to either of my kids. They both think they get something special on the food front when they come home. What a disappointment I would be compared to this. 

Shamin in SC.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    Should have visited you instead of Barcelona couple of years ago!  I'm hiding this post from my kids  :)
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    As with all above, that is an unbelievable day/event/banquet right there.  The menu is stand alone 4 star.  You have set the bar so high for your family, never mind us pedestrians who are seeing this.
    Pics are magazine quality as well.  What a skill-set.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    So good, I always enjoy your posts, thank you for sharing!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • SciAggie
    Y'all - I don't know how to respond to so many kind remarks - except to say thank you. This cook was truly a lot of fun and not that hard to execute. As I said above there was a fair bit of planning ahead, but even the prep work wasn't difficult. I've worked a lot harder trying to get three things off the stove and out of the oven at the same time in the house.

The fun part of an evening like this is you cook one thing at a time. When it's ready, you eat. If it's not ready yet, you drink and talk. Then you repeat that process until you can't take any more and tap out. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Beautiful bass! 

Nice pics.  You know how to do it.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I have been to the mountain top, and there was @SciAggie draped in his golden robe offering blessings to the mere mortals of the BGE community.

There are chefs, and then there are immortals.

This guy.

Great cooks sir, expected fabulous food, and this went beyond expectations. Again.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Awesome.  Jamon Serrano is amazing but it falls to about #20 in your roll out of treats this weekend.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • FHawk
    FHawk Posts: 10
    I give up.

Large BGE, Medium BGE, Small BGE, Large Grill Dome, Large Kamado (2), Small Imperial Kamado.
    Huntsville, AL
    RTR !
  • SciAggie
    thetrim said:
    Awesome.  Jamon Serrano is amazing but it falls to about #20 in your roll out of treats this weekend.
    That stuff is really tasty. Of course I buy this little package that's "just" 4 ounces of ham. My son gives me this look that says, "is this it?" When I explain that you just eat a bit at a time and savor it, he still wasn't impressed. After eating a bit though he is now a confirmed fan. I'd love to have the opportunity to enjoy some of that carved right from the ham. Someday...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    YukonRon said:
    I have been to the mountain top, and there was @SciAggie draped in his golden robe offering blessings to the mere mortals of the BGE community.

There are chefs, and then there are immortals.

This guy.

Great cooks sir, expected fabulous food, and this went beyond expectations. Again.
    I assure you my friend I am quite mortal. My wife does a good job of making sure I know that. There are no golden robes or glittering trophies anywhere. What is true is that I have learned so much from this wonderful community that shares their knowledge so readily. I would name names, but there are just too many. I steal ideas remorselessly from you all. I loved to cook before I got here, and this community has helped me grow and learn as a cook.
    At some point maybe some of y'all will wander through this region of Texas. If you do, stop by and we'll eat and drink together. In any case, thanks for the kind words. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    FHawk said:
    I give up.

lol. I learned to cook all this stuff from the folks on this site.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • ...and next I made a round empenadas. Of course you did.

This is next level stuff right here. So great.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX