Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Centex has class

Options
TFJ and I are teaching a brisket class at our local egg dealer tomorrow. He has a nice kitchen store and has been an egger for 10+ years. He finally brought BGE in to the store and he’s selling them like crazy. He has an awesome teaching kitchen with all the goodies in the back so it should be fun. He does 2-3 classes a week and draws a nice crowd. Class size is 15 so not overwhelming. I had a snakenriver farms brisket in the hole so I broke that out. Should be a fun day. 

Menu:

Hibiscus Mint Watermelon Salad
Snake River Farms Brisket
TFJ’s Famous Jalapeño Mac N Cheese 

Forgot how good the srf briskets really are. They are like jelly right out of the bag. Hope it turns out! 
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Hell to the yeah 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    What time should we be there to eat??

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

You got a little carried away with that pepper ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Awesome 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Those students are in for a treat.  If I didn't have my mother-in-law in town I'd head up there.  Instead we're going to a local farmer's market and I'll see what kind of local meats are available.  You're other thread about local meats has me intrigued.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    I met Tony the other day. You class is sold out. Good luck!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • SGH
    Options
    Forgot how good the srf briskets really are. 
    Nothing like a Wagyu to jar the ole memory :D

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Very nice. I’d come to class if I could. I’m at a wedding in Spicewood. Your food will be better. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:

That’s the way we like it down here. I actually dial it back a little from what some of the big boys do. I likes my salt. 
  • SGH
    Options
    Good luck with the class. Hope you knock it out of the park brother Tex. 

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Would you like some brisket with your pepper, sir?
    Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    (Jus fkn wif ya mon)
    SGH said:
    We shall see. Always nerve wracking when you have to bring home a brisket for 15 strangers 
  • SGH
    Options
    SGH said:
    We shall see. Always nerve wracking when you have to bring home a brisket for 15 strangers 
    Agree 100%. 

Status- Standing by.

• Foghorn
    Options
    SGH said:

That’s the way we like it down here. I actually dial it back a little from what some of the big boys do. I likes my salt. 
    Yeah, I was thinking that it looks just right.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    SGH said:

Fellows I was making a friendly joke. Y’all didn’t notice the “wink” at the end. 

Status- Standing by.

• Foghorn
    Options
    SGH said:
    Foghorn said:
    SGH said:

Fellows I was making a friendly joke. Y’all didn’t notice the “wink” at the end. 
    Brisket isn't a joking matter to Texans.   ;);)

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    SGH said:
    If you start drinking now it’ll probably all work out.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    It looks like you’re off to a great start.  
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I season mine more than that. All that salt and pepper goodness

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    Just saw Grayson Allen has jacked 13 3-pointers already. 3-for-13. That’s a lot of 3’s. That Syracuse zone loves to make people shoot from the outside but damn. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Way to step up and share some of the secrets with the wannabe's.  There is no doubt about the outcome.  Really setting the bar up there with SRF-just alert them to the virtues of the everyday access you all have to briskets at HEB.  
    BTW- I'm on the more pepper and lighter on the salt rub (for me that's Valentina's over Franklin's but every one is off the chart!).  Above all, have fun.
    Is attendance at the protein prep and initial fire management session a graduation requirement??  ;)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Way to step up and share some of the secrets with the wannabe's.  There is no doubt about the outcome.  Really setting the bar up there with SRF-just alert them to the virtues of the everyday access you all have to briskets at HEB.  
    BTW- I'm on the more pepper and lighter on the salt rub (for me that's Valentina's over Franklin's but every one is off the chart!).  Above all, have fun.
    Is attendance at the protein prep and initial fire management session a graduation requirement??  ;)

Louie Mueller is always top 5 in the state. Here is an interview with Wayne Mueller (current owner and grandson of Louie). Check out the rub recipe. 

At what temp do you cook your briskets? One of the most asked questions, and yet one of the most relative. How about a range? 325-220.??

For how long do you cook them??Until they're done? -- I'm sure you've already had that one... How about: Until my fingers do the Happy Dance after a thorough brisket frisking.

Do you have a complicated rub, or do you keep it simple? Grandpa (Louie Mueller) was fond of saying K.I.S.S...He was right to keep it simple for me!

?What's in your rub? Get a pencil, paper, and a comfortable chair -- this could take awhile. Our beef rub consists of: nine (9) parts course black pepper and one (1) part salt (by volume). Now let's discuss Plato's Forms and why they ultimately fall short.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Options
    Time to charge up the phone Nola. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker -  Thanks for that-when I'm in the "make my own brisket rub" I doubt I have been at that high a ratio but I am game to try.  Right now in the commercial "I am lazy" rub category I use Hardcore Carnivore Black with a slight pepper enhancement.  The prevailing commercial favorite "Oakridge Black Ops" is too sweet for me.  I may have to give Meat Church's a go.
    Do you have a favorite?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    SGH said:
    Just saw Grayson Allen has jacked 13 3-pointers already. 3-for-13. That’s a lot of 3’s. That Syracuse zone loves to make people shoot from the outside but damn. 
    Yeah, I'd much rather see a bunch of shots from around the foul line - like the announcers have been suggesting.

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker -  Thanks for that-when I'm in the "make my own brisket rub" I doubt I have been at that high a ratio but I am game to try.  Right now in the commercial "I am lazy" rub category I use Hardcore Carnivore Black with a slight pepper enhancement.  The prevailing commercial favorite "Oakridge Black Ops" is too sweet for me.  I may have to give Meat Church's a go.
    Do you have a favorite?
    No commercial rubs for beef here. And never sugar. That is a deal killer from the start. I use a slight variation of the John Lewis (LaBarbecue/Franklin/jig Lewis bbq) that cazzy gave me forever ago. 

8 parts 16 mesh black peppr
    3 parts kosher
    3 parts lawrys
    1.5-2 parts granulated garlic. 

I think the original is 8-2-2-1