Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Austin Area Egghead Meetup Saturday/Sunday?

Options

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    JIC looks way too sober. @The Cen-Tex Smoker looks like... Sunday. 
    Sunday funday. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I'm so old I am a modernist.  Good times brothers. If only I could wake up
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited January 2018
    Options

Legume said:
    Fun day - enjoyed it.  Thanks for organizing.  Damn, no pics.
    Stole one today. Perfect weather and great company. Thanks to all who came out. We are back at Casa Centex with the Roccbox and dishwasher fired up to end the night. Pizza,  ribs and football. Because,  ‘Murica 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    What is the protein of choice for the dishwasher?
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Ribs tonight 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    RB 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

Brother Tex, I know that it’s asking a lot, but try to talk some sense into that liberal while he is out there  =)
    On a serious note, wish I could of met up with y’all. Would be nice to see y’all again. Take care and have a good one fellas.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    There will be Pizza 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options

Why aren't they round? I can't imagine what might have caused that...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    The dough balls weren't round. If the were, the pies would have been round.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    But they taste the same, regardless of shape. Hey, it's still pizza.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    There is another possible explanation.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    DMW said:
    Hmm, you're right of course. With these guys, anything is possible!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    This is going to turn out to be an expensive weekend:

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Wish i could have been there. Looks like you guys had a ball. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Good night 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I assume JIC has already ordered his roccbox and kbq , so they’ll be waiting for him when he gets back. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    caliking said:
    I assume JIC has already ordered his roccbox and kbq , so they’ll be waiting for him when he gets back. 
    He will have if he has any sense. 

It was great meeting a few new folks face to face, and was a ton of great grub.

@The Cen-Tex Smoker, thanks for setting this up
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    John what size pies will it hold, what diameter?  
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    CPARKTX said:
    John what size pies will it hold, what diameter?  
    10” is optimal. The door is 12” 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Does the rest of the group have warrants? Behind on child support? No pics...
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina

How did your presentation go while the 7 dwarves were mining in your head?
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    CTMike said:
    @JohnInCarolina

How did your presentation go while the 7 dwarves were mining in your head?
    He was actually pretty well behaved yesterday. We got our drink on early and tapered off. He's actually a responsible adult if you can believe that!

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    DMW said:
    Hmm, you're right of course. With these guys, anything is possible!
    We are actually still getting used to slinging these off the peel. We like a little more hydration that they call for so the dough is a little sticker. Trying to walk the line between enough flour on the peel to make it slide and too much flour which I hate. They start round but when you sling them they go oblong. I tried parchment paper on my first cook at it caught on fire before the pie hit the stone. It's hot in there!

I think we figured it out a little better as we went last night. Still learning but it's a super fun cook! I love the speed. Pies are 90 seconds. Maybe 2 min if you have a lot of toppings. You can crank out a ton of pies super fast so you aren't cooking for an hour while everyone else eats. we did 5 pies in roughly 15 minutes once we switched to gas from the wood burner. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

These were fun. The green one is Zatar seasoned grass fed ground beef with feta, tomato, and arugula. very Mediterranean in profile. The other one was Valentina's brisket, homemade bacon, and valentina's sauce. Both really interesting and delish. 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I wonder if a wooden peel would be better for launching. That's all I've ever used. My pies never stick to mine and all I use is a little flour. Used to use a pinch of semolina, lately just a dusting of flour. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Have you tried a bit of rice flour on the peel? I think mainly getting pizzas off the peel is just an acquired skill. I make the pies on the peel as quickly as possible. I also shake the pie on the peel a couple of times while making it to keep it loose. I don’t know if any of that matters with the metal peel you are using. I launch in the WFO with wood and retreive with metal. 
    Looks like y’all had a fine time. I wish I could have joined you for a bit. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon