Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jambalaya!

There is a hint of coolness in the air. I just bought a new potjie pot and decided I'd break it in by making jambalaya. I don't know how authentic this meal was, but it was tasty and fun to cook. 
Start with fire burning down to coals. 

Then warm hp the potjie pot and brown some chicken. 

Removed the chicken and sauted the trinity - onion, celery, and bell pepper. Once it was soft I added the chicken back along with some diced smoked ham, and sliced andouille sausage. Seasoned with Tony's Creole Seasoning, paprika, S&P, and a bit of cumin seed.

Next went in the rice for a bit to coat with seasonings, then chicken broth and some diced tomatoes. 

Brought to a boil and then simmered gently for about 25 minutes. 

Resting for a few minutes. 

The finished product. 

No plated pics. We were hungry, and the neighbors came over. This turned out well. We'll definitely make it again. 
Thanks for looking. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,427
    You sir, are living the dream.  I want to be your neighbor.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @kl8ton Thanks. Life is good for sure. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    Look like fun from here!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Very nice looking meal. Love the preparation area and effort put in to the cook. People travel for many miles for a meal like that. You, sir, travel to the back yard. What a blessing that must be. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    In my deep, southern, raspy, baritone voice: 

Goodbye, Joe, me gotta go, me oh my oh.
    Me gotta go, pole the pirogue down the bayou.
    My Yvonne, the sweetest one, me oh my oh.
    Son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the bayou.

Jambalaya and a crawfish pie and fil* gumbo
    'Cause tonight I'm gonna see my ma cher amio.
    Pick guitar, fill fruit jar and be gayo,

Thibodaux, Fontaineaux, the place is buzzin',
    kinfolk come to see Yvonne by the dozen.
    Dress in style and go hog wild, me oh my oh.

Jambalaya and a crawfish pie and fil gumbo

Settle down far from town, get me a pirogue
    and I'll catch all the fish in the bayou.
    Swap my mon to buy Yvonne what she need-o.

Jambalaya and a crawfish pie and fil gumbo

Somehow the song just seemed appropriate here. And I was in a singing mood to boot. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    On a seperate note, I love the pot. The grub looks first class as well my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• @SciAggie you just received a triple @SGH seal of approval. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Hank Williams Jr?
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    I like Fats Domino's version of Jambalaya better... as a native New Orleanian  =)
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• SciAggie
    @SGH Glad to see you back around my friend - and singing! I've never had that before on the forum, lol. Thanks. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    @epcotisbest Thanks. With my hearth it's like all the fun of camp cooking but I don't have to bend over. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • B747crew
    B747crew Posts: 158
    edited September 2017
    VERY VERY nice  Me oh my oh  Where did you get the recipe ?
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    kl8ton said:
    You sir, are living the dream.  I want to be your neighbor.

I immediately thought of this scene. The cook is even cooler than Seinfeld, and that is very high praise from this guy!
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Awesome. I love your cooking setup with the open fire
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Nicely done! Jambalaya is always a good call.
    LBGE
    AL
  • SciAggie
    edited September 2017
    B747crew said:
    I wish I had a link to share. I read a half dozen recipes from pinterest and then used my experience making paella to go forward. I will try to describe what I did. 
    Ingredients:
    1 lb or so boneless skinless chicken breast (I had it in the fridge)
    1 package Andouille sausage (not sure the weight). It was two links about 10" long. 
    Maybe 1/2 pound of diced smoked ham. I would have used tasso, but they didn't have any at the store. 
    2 small yellow onions diced
    4 stalks of celery diced
    2 small bell peppers diced
    2 cups parboiled rice 
    32 ounces chicken stock
    14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes (I also had maybe 8 ounces of San Marzano with oregano & basil left over from pizzas I threw in)
    6 cloves of chipped garlic
    2 tsp Knorr tomato bouillon
    2 Tbs Tony's Creole seasoning
    2 Tbs Paprika
    1 tsp cumin seed
    S&P to taste

Procedure:
    First, I cut the chicken into 1/2" cubes and browned it in the pot (1 1/2 Tbs oil), then removed the chicken. 
    Next I added the diced onion, celery, and bell pepper and cooked it until it was soft. Toward the end I added the seasonings. 
    Next I added the ham and sausage and cooked it a bit and covered with seasonings. 
    I then added the rice and stirred to cover with seasonings. 
    Next I added the chicken broth and the canned tomatoes. 
    Bring this to a boil then cover and reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 20-25 minutes to cook the rice. I broke the cardinal rule of not lifting the lid - but I stirred the rice once to make sure I didn't scorch the bottom. 
    After the rice was done I let the pot sit for about 10-15 minutes. 
     I hope this gives you an idea of the cook. 

Some of you true Southern folks might say how authentic this sounds?
    @nolaegghead @SGH
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    That is a fantastic cook.  Thank you for sharing it.

Three tips, since you will be doing this again*:
    If tips two and three don't work for you, with enough notice and an invitation, I know a guy...

* I am not a Cajun and have never lived in NOLA.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    that cook is strong as train smoke and a garlic milkshake

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• SciAggie
    @20stone Oh, I absolutely appreciate the tips. Sausage making is in my future - this dang forum is an endless series of iterations - spend $$, see something new, spend $$, repeat.
    It's also good to know a guy... This is a great place to visit. If you love dove hunting or duck hunting I know some outfitters and we might make a weekend of things.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    pasoegg said:
    that cook is strong as train smoke and a garlic milkshake
    I have never heard that expression. Thanks. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Awesome looking cook!
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I almost cringe as I click on your posts, because I know in advance I'm going to be SO envious!  You have created an amazing setup, and knowing how to build all of that stuff, and then knowing how to USE it all in what sure seems like a masterful manner, well, I'm just awed.  Way cool!
  • SciAggie
    @Theophan Thank you sir. The truth is I just figure it out as I go. My granparents and parents were frugal make-do folks. The upside was I grew up surrounded by people who made things themselves and fixed whatever was broken themselves. I guess a little rubbed off over time. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
  • Awesome as always!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    SciAggie said:
    B747crew said:
    I wish I had a link to share. I read a half dozen recipes from pinterest and then used my experience making paella to go forward. I will try to describe what I did. 
    Ingredients:
    1 lb or so boneless skinless chicken breast (I had it in the fridge)
    1 package Andouille sausage (not sure the weight). It was two links about 10" long. 
    Maybe 1/2 pound of diced smoked ham. I would have used tasso, but they didn't have any at the store. 
    2 small yellow onions diced
    4 stalks of celery diced
    2 small bell peppers diced
    2 cups parboiled rice 
    32 ounces chicken stock
    14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes (I also had maybe 8 ounces of San Marzano with oregano & basil left over from pizzas I threw in)
    6 cloves of chipped garlic
    2 tsp Knorr tomato bouillon
    2 Tbs Tony's Creole seasoning
    2 Tbs Paprika
    1 tsp cumin seed
    S&P to taste

Procedure:
    First, I cut the chicken into 1/2" cubes and browned it in the pot (1 1/2 Tbs oil), then removed the chicken. 
    Next I added the diced onion, celery, and bell pepper and cooked it until it was soft. Toward the end I added the seasonings. 
    Next I added the ham and sausage and cooked it a bit and covered with seasonings. 
    I then added the rice and stirred to cover with seasonings. 
    Next I added the chicken broth and the canned tomatoes. 
    Bring this to a boil then cover and reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 20-25 minutes to cook the rice. I broke the cardinal rule of not lifting the lid - but I stirred the rice once to make sure I didn't scorch the bottom. 
    After the rice was done I let the pot sit for about 10-15 minutes. 
     I hope this gives you an idea of the cook. 

Some of you true Southern folks might say how authentic this sounds?
    @nolaegghead @SGH
    Looks good, looks legit.

Jambalaya is similar to paella, but while there's a generally recognized process to paella, there isn't one, universally accepted at least, process to make Jambalaya.

What they (paella and Jambalaya) have in common is that they come from common functional roots and that means as regional commoner food they utilize whatever is on-hand with a common denominator of rice cooked in the ingredients.

My constructive criticism if you are shooting for something considered authentic in New Orleans (and we have both Creole and Cajun versions of many of the same foods), I'll offer a few observations.

The rice used in Jambalaya is usually local to Louisiana rice, can be converted, short grain, long grain white rice.  I would stick with that.  No fancy Bomba or par. 

Don't add cumin. '

One one extreme, the vegetables and protein is saute'd and constantly deglazed either with the broth or using water, on how you want to control salt.  The proteins, carbs and fats do a similar thing as carbs do in a roux, they darken and gain complexity. 

Most common is what you did.  After the final step - adding the uncooked rice to the properly diluted mix of everything else, you commonly see them baked in an oven like a casserole or cooked in a paella-like shallow pan.

Anything goes, the most important things to know is any protein works, no shame in using breast meat, like you said, it was handy.   The final result is what matters, and above all it should be a dish worthy of an entre'.

@nolaegghead Thanks. That's the sort of feedback I was looking for. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon