Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rock-in Robin's whats happen en in da music world....

northGAcock
northGAcock Posts: 15,164
edited July 2017 in Off Topic
Been thinking about this for a while, finally getting around to doing it. As many of you know, I have a love and passion for listening (not playing) good music. I am kicking off this thread with the hopes of sharing much of what I see, hear and read....that might be of interest to other music lovers. I hope to post periodically interesting music news, recommendations, and hope to hear from many of you with the same. I mean no disrespect to @MaC122  and his "what music are you listening to" thread....in fact it is one of my favorite threads, and one I will continue to post on frequently. I plan no routine myself....participating when I can....and look forward to learning new things from you folks as well. 

________________________________________________________________________________________

Now to kick things off, I re-watched a concert recorded (and produced) back in 2010 by Phil Collins, formerly of Genesis and successful solo careers. He went up to Detroit and pulled together two original members of the old Motown members of house recording studio band, known as The Funk Brothers. Collins grew up listening to the Motown sound and was a major part of this early singing. In my opinion, he has the perfect voice and the assembly of talent was pronominal.....not to mention a great choice of Motown songs.  Here is what Rolling Stone had to say about it. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/phil-collins-motown-road-show-brings-soul-classics-to-nyc-20100625

Amazon has several options available should you have interest in viewing or listening. The DVD has a broader list of songs than the CD, and is a collection of the songs performed live. On of my favorites Smoky Robinson's "Tears on a Clown", which is not available on the original CD. https://youtu.be/mfguv4DRuCc The original CD is available, however Phil himself has re-released a remastered version.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_18?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=phil+collins+going+back&sprefix=Phil+Collins+going%2Caps%2C163&crid=TI64G9UTHNV2

Rock-in Robin gives 3 Tweets to this CD/DVD.
Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Not everyone likes acapella. But if you do and haven't heard of Straight No Chaser, check them out. PMJ is pretty cool too. They do a lot of covers, like Radiohead's Creep. Pretty good stuff. 

Going to to this concert this weekend. Really looking forward to it. Always a good show!
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • northGAcock
    Are you a live concert attendee. This is what is being done on our behalf.....technology aides the future.
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/concert-securitys-new-frontier-w494570

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Interestng thread.  

My wife, son, and I recently went to see Earth, Wind, and Fire and we really enjoyed the show.  However, the really pleasant surprise was how much we enjoyed the opening act of "Chic, featuring Nile Rogers".  As we came to learn, Nile Rogers has had a remarkable multi-decade music career as a writer/producer/performer such that he is (at least partly) responsible for a variety of hit songs performed by other artists ranging from David Bowie's "Let's Dance" to the more recent Daft Punk's "Get Lucky".  His band was incredibly talented and tight and the music was a lot of fun.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Perfect thread for me Robin.
    Just a quick comment on security. Saw U2 at 3 venues this year. No security in Louisville, and surprising how limited it was in Cleveland, likely the best of the three, since it was the final appearance of the USA tour.
    Chicago, upped the Ante in my opinion. By far the largest of the three we entered, security was tight and in your face the entire time. For folks that were not aware, on an "inside the arena" presence, it was impressive. Externally though, after the show, it seemed less so. (Job done, get 'em outta here)
    I would still caution folks, when leaving to be prepared. It is a common strategy for your safety. Vigilance pays off. Learn what to look for.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Last year at ZZ Top and Govt Mule. Good show. I'd still like to see the Doobie Brothers...
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Definitely a cool thread. Security wise, I have a side job as a concert photographer for a couple of Twin Cities media outlets, and have noticed a serious uptick in security since the Manchester bombing. Full bag search and pat down. I'm totally cool with it too, lets keep these venues safe so we can escape the world through music! 
  • northGAcock

• northGAcock
    edited July 2017
    Unusual bed fellows (collaboration) as one might say.

Roger Waters and John Prine

https://youtu.be/1-gK6S4pSVw

• northGAcock
    Foghorn said:
    Interestng thread.  

My wife, son, and I recently went to see Earth, Wind, and Fire and we really enjoyed the show.  However, the really pleasant surprise was how much we enjoyed the opening act of "Chic, featuring Nile Rogers".  As we came to learn, Nile Rogers has had a remarkable multi-decade music career as a writer/producer/performer such that he is (at least partly) responsible for a variety of hit songs performed by other artists ranging from David Bowie's "Let's Dance" to the more recent Daft Punk's "Get Lucky".  His band was incredibly talented and tight and the music was a lot of fun.
    I saw Chic (Niles) at the Hollywood Bowl last year (2016 season) and his band. I was working at the time....so did not see from a venue seat. After he played, we shook hands....I would not say we met. He was hanging outside of the stage area (with security detail) shaking hands with fans. I, like you did not know much about him....found him very likable and talented. Thanks for sharing. 

• northGAcock
    edited July 2017
    Definitely a cool thread. Security wise, I have a side job as a concert photographer for a couple of Twin Cities media outlets, and have noticed a serious uptick in security since the Manchester bombing. Full bag search and pat down. I'm totally cool with it too, lets keep these venues safe so we can escape the world through music! 
    Nice gig, I have a work association with the Hollywood Bowl....and was at the show the night this happened. http://liveforlivemusic.com/news/dead-company-hollywood-security-scare/   

We can't let the b@stard terrorist win.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    edited July 2017
    Foghorn said:
    However, the really pleasant surprise was how much we enjoyed the opening act of "Chic, featuring Nile Rogers".  As we came to learn, Nile Rogers has had a remarkable multi-decade music career as a writer/producer/performer such that he is (at least partly) responsible for a variety of hit songs performed by other artists ranging from David Bowie's "Let's Dance" to the more recent Daft Punk's "Get Lucky".  His band was incredibly talented and tight and the music was a lot of fun.

Rodgers is the most talented rhythm guitarist on the planet, he's all over the last couple of Bryan Ferry albums (very highly recommended).  

Bryan Ferry is one of my favorites, such seductive music (he fronted Roxy Music way back in the day, they could be very WEIRD but their last album, Avalon, hinted at what was coming).  Here's one of my favorite tracks, Nile Rodgers may be playing on it also (I'd have to check):
    https://youtu.be/WUeATOK2Lw4

Bryan's latest Bluray concert, Live at Lyon, is also very highly recommended, he has several of his old Roxy bandmates playing along.  

I've started a few music threads here, can never remember the titles and can't find them again, but @MaC122 mis-spelled "listining" so I can always find it.  @northGAcock, you need to misspell something on this thread's title so I can find it again too!   =)   There's a supergroup release coming out mid-August that I've been lusting for for two years, will be posting when it's released.   

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Definitely a cool thread. Security wise, I have a side job as a concert photographer for a couple of Twin Cities media outlets, and have noticed a serious uptick in security since the Manchester bombing. Full bag search and pat down. I'm totally cool with it too, lets keep these venues safe so we can escape the world through music! 
    Nice gig, I have a work association with the Hollywood Bowl....and was at the show the night this happened. http://liveforlivemusic.com/news/dead-company-hollywood-security-scare/   

We can't let the b@stard terrorist win.
    Sweet Help>Slip>Franklins embedded in that link, thanks for sharing!
  • northGAcock
    edited August 2017
    Today is the Grateful Dead Meet at the Movies night at your local theater. 

THE 2017 GRATEFUL DEAD MEET-UP AT THE MOVIES IS TOMORROW

Find out where it is playing near you here.

http://view.em-dead.net/?qs=37c7dcb7d51303119046c65e8a4793c4fe5f6e5e88a0ee7dc4749c4365437d575a20e70eb6e3a95f9c799ac676db80a63411fd9968edd34209ca61dd7b1402466e87c1bc0bd3727d  

• northGAcock
    Also in Grateful Dead News........SiriusXM Grateful Dead Channel begins the Days Between today. The days are the dates between Jerry Garcia's birthday and the date that he passed away. 8/1-8/9. The focus will be on Garcia's legacy and music with the Grateful Dead and solo projects. Channel 23 for those interested.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    @northGAcock beat me to the punch......i should have known!  :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Love Sirius, but I pretty much just use 2 presets, Stern and the Dead Channel!
    Have y'all checked out Long Strange Trip on Amazon? Ep. 6 had me bawlin like a six year old
  • northGAcock
    Eric Clapton Documentary will premiere at Toronto Film Festival "Life in 12 Bars" will later be shown on Showtime sometime next year. Many interviews with Eric, his family, friends and collaborators. Should be a good one.

He has upcoming shows in Hew York Sep 7th and 8th....will be at the LA Forum (4 shows) Sept 13th-18th. This is good news as he has been having some health issues of recent. 

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Love Sirius, but I pretty much just use 2 presets, Stern and the Dead Channel!
    Have y'all checked out Long Strange Trip on Amazon? Ep. 6 had me bawlin like a six year old
    The Long Strange Trip on Amazon was a wonderful watch.  Thoroughly loved it.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    YEMTrey said:
    Love Sirius, but I pretty much just use 2 presets, Stern and the Dead Channel!
    The Long Strange Trip on Amazon was a wonderful watch.  Thoroughly loved it.
    Gonna try and get a fire stick this weekend so I can watch it too. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    check out The Tel Aviv Session album, by the Toure-Raichel Collective

got to see them live, too, good show

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • northGAcock
    blind99 said:

Link?

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    http://uproxx.com/music/phish-bakers-dozen-live-music-focal-point-of-art/amp/

I didnt think I'd see an article in 2017 that boils down to "More bands should be like Phish."

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• northGAcock
    Going way back to my days in the early 70's....one of my favorite bands was Uriah Heep. The were an English rock band formed in London in 1969....with 12 of their 15 albums reaching acclaimed success. From the Demons & Wizards album (disc or download if you reference today).....Easy Living

https://youtu.be/DKxZY0DIxIk

• northGAcock
    Acn said:
    http://uproxx.com/music/phish-bakers-dozen-live-music-focal-point-of-art/amp/

I didnt think I'd see an article in 2017 that boils down to "More bands should be like Phish."
    Where is the Bathtub Gin when you need it.....thanks for sharing. Good article.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    blind99 said:

Link?
    Try this: https://youtu.be/5A0VXjKwYHs

its pretty chill stuff
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited August 2017
    Going way back to my days in the early 70's....one of my favorite bands was Uriah Heep. The were an English rock band formed in London in 1969....with 12 of their 15 albums reaching acclaimed success. From the Demons & Wizards album (disc or download if you reference today).....Easy Living

https://youtu.be/DKxZY0DIxIk
    I had that album or maybe it was an 8-Track!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • northGAcock
    blind99 said:
    blind99 said:

Link?
    Try this: https://youtu.be/5A0VXjKwYHs

its pretty chill stuff

I gave it a listen....and very much like it. Thanks for turning me on to it.

• I saw The Who in Vegas last night. Was amazing. We also saw Matisyahu and UB40 in the pool at Madalay Bay Sunday night. Been a long week :)

We take the whole family to ACL Festival in Austin every year and have for the past 9 years. I can't even begin to tell you how many great shows we have seen and how many great stories we have because of it. Eagles, Stevie Wonder, Foo Fighters, Kendrick Lamar, Outkast, Drake, Cold Play, Willie, Strokes, The Weekend, just to name a few. This year- Jay Z, Chili Peppers, Gorrilaz, Chance The Rapper, The Killers, and so many more. Can't wait for October! 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    My wife and I saw PVRIS, Thirty Seconds to Mars, and M.U.S.E. last night at KeyBank Pavilion in Burgettstown, PA. MUSE puts on one hell of a show.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • northGAcock
    edited August 2017
    Last night on Colbert.....Joe Walsh jams on one of his old classics. Worth the watch in case you missed it. Rolling Stone says :

Joe Walsh unleashed a raucous rendition of his 1978 solo hit "Life's Been Good" with Jon Batiste and Stay Human on The Late Show With Stephen Colbert Wednesday.

Oh and if you are in the Virginia area....go out and support his cause for veterans.