Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Still My Nemesis

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,947
    edited July 2017
    Options
    cazzy said:

Focker said:
    For the record I have gotten it right, and still quit.

I think it makes more sense for us to start here.  Post 'em up and make us a believer that you're not just a quitter.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options

thetrim said:
    I was having issues with keeping my temps low (I don't use a flameboss because that's cheating - HAHAHA), so I added a water pan and that helped me greatly.  I know, I know, you don't need it but I use it.  Maybe that's cheating too!
    Only time I've ever used a water pan is precisely as a heat sink during a brisket cook. You are obviously a brilliant individual. Carry on. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Focker said:
    The point is to learn and gradually get better.   The fact that it's not easy is part of what makes it rewarding, at least in my opinion.  

If after years trying 9/10 are still coming out lousy, well, sometimes it is the Indian and not the arrow.
    Let me guess, you're nailing 9 out of 10 right?
    Hardly, it's just that 9/10 are a long way from  shoe leather.  I've learned a lot and, on average, my briskets are now a lot better than they were when I started.  That's all.  It probably helps that I'm not a complete idiot.
    Hey John, don't sell yourself short, your a tremendous idiot! Lol. That said, I bet you've cooked some really good brisket too. JKOC. A little Caddy Shack humor to lighten you biotches up a bit. Cheers!
    Lol Pete.  Caddyshack is a classic.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Anyone's underwear in a knot over this topic??  Geez, it's just a hunk of protein.  But it does have quite the draw on a Monday PM.  
    Edit:  Upon further review, I can salvage a brisket cook much easier than the cook too long prime rib.  Hard to extract rare from any finish past that.  But I'm sure there are ways to achieve that-I'm just missing it.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Well if you don't believe then who will???  I quit. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • pgprescott
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Anyone's underwear in a knot over this topic??  Geez, it's just a hunk of protein.  But it does have quite the draw on a Monday PM.  
    It is a controversial bugger for sure. It's kinda like a Friday - Saturday feel with the glorious holiday and what not. Cheers friend!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2017
    Options
    We need a Woosday: Brisket, thread
    Man I miss Woosdays.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I was having issues with keeping my temps low (I don't use a flameboss because that's cheating - HAHAHA), so I added a water pan and that helped me greatly.  I know, I know, you don't need it but I use it.  Maybe that's cheating too!
    After listening to "The Cen-Tex Smoker" and reading Franklin, I cranked temp up to 275F, and have good results with a water pan. 

A dirty cheating FlameBoss is also a very helpful tool. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • pgprescott
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Edit:  Upon further review, I can salvage a brisket cook much easier than the cook too long prime rib.  Hard to extract rare from any finish past that.  But I'm sure there are ways to achieve that-I'm just missing it.  ;)
    Over done PR makes real good cheesesteak sammiches and such. A bit pricey, but in this crowd money is no object!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    It is a controversial bugger for sure. It's kinda like a Friday - Saturday feel with the glorious holiday and what not. Cheers friend!
    It's only controversial for one. Everyone else seems to be ok with it. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Focker
    Options
    Another.

Come on brisket boys, where's the beef!!!! 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• pgprescott
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Uh, I bet there are plenty of others. They are likely intimidated by the forum gang. Lol. The reach is vast. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Uh, I bet there are plenty of others. They are likely intimidated by the forum gang. Lol. The reach is vast. 
    There's really only one guy who openly shîts on brisket consistently. May be other struggling with the cook, but one dude seems to think cause he doesn't like it, or can't cook it, no one should like it. One guy.  
  • Focker
    edited July 2017
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Totally agree, "the gang" thinks they are the only ones.  
    But they struggle to think, independently.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    20stone said:
    After listening to "The Cen-Tex Smoker" and reading Franklin, I cranked temp up to 275F, and have good results with a water pan. 

A dirty cheating FlameBoss is also a very helpful tool. 
    I too for some reason have observed that on the BGE .. 275 is what has given me the best brisket cooks .. no water pan .. but the most moist cooks so far. So will continue on cooking briskets with all the knowledge gathered here on this forum. Will try experimenting with the Butcher Prime Brisket injection for the first time. Thanks for all your opinions and info everyone passing along!
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • pgprescott
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    There's really only one guy who openly shîts on brisket consistently. May be other struggling with the cook, but one dude seems to think cause he doesn't like it, or can't cook it, no one should like it. One guy.  
    Well I've seen and eaten his food and it is phenomenal. A true perfectionist. I think he truly doesn't think the end result is worth the effort. Hey, I cook a few briskets a year and am happy to do so, but I totally can appreciate his view as well as those of the pro brisket crowd. As most things in life it comes down to perspective and priorities. He clearly feels his time and effort is better servered by cooking awesome dishes other than brisket. Everyone knows that you can do everything correctly and end up with an OK result or even worse. To each their own. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    Alright.  Here's two briskets cooked recently about 1000 miles apart on the same day - the first one by me and the second one by @20stone.

I cooked 5 that day.  4 of them jiggled just like this.  One of them was slightly undercooked and a little less juicy and jiggly, but still very good.  It wasn't "dry" so much as it was "less moist" and it took more than a minimal pull to pull a standard pencil thin slice apart.   So we sliced it a little thinner.

When I cook a brisket that I'm not happy with I usually chop it and add some vinegar-based sauce and make sandwiches.  It's been over a dozen briskets since I had to do that.

I like 20stone's bark much better than mine.  Now I know what to work on to get even better.  I'll probably wrap in butcher paper a little later next time.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI6J3y44ds0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQk-iNDfflI

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Well I've seen and eaten his food and it is phenomenal. A true perfectionist. I think he truly doesn't think the end result is worth the effort. Hey, I cook a few briskets a year and am happy to do so, but I totally can appreciate his view as well as those of the pro brisket crowd. As most things in life it comes down to perspective and priorities. He clearly feels his time and effort is better servered by cooking awesome dishes other than brisket. Everyone knows that you can do everything correctly and end up with an OK result or even worse. To each their own. 
    It's not his opinion I have a problem with....
  • pgprescott
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Ok. I love the guy. However, I know him. I've been in your shoes before. Lol
  • Focker
    edited July 2017
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    If you enjoy good beef, good beef flavor and texture, you move on from the overrated, consistently underperforming, brisket cut.  

There is nothing wrong with being stuck in a one dimensional rut.  Like I said, whatever floats your little tugboat.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Focker said:
    lousubcap said:
    If you enjoy good beef, good beef flavor and texture, you move on from the overrated, consistently underperforming, brisket cut.  

There is nothing wrong with being stuck in a one dimensional rut.  Like I said, whatever floats your little tugboat.
    @pgprescott case in point....
  • Focker
    edited July 2017
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Is it my Jolly Rancher Zimas that bother you?
    Please tell me how you really feel.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Well I've seen and eaten his food and it is phenomenal. A true perfectionist.
    And a few of us have had CT's Brisket.  I'm just sayin...
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Perfectionist? He should have gotten a cease and desist letter from Shun for this hack job. 

• Focker
    Options
    Focker said:
    lousubcap said:

@pgprescott case in point....
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Perfectionist? He should have gotten a cease and desist letter from Shun for this hack job. 

Please show me how to cut open a hard boiled egg. Lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• pgprescott
    Options

That is a perfectly cooked hard boiled egg. Case in point. Perfectly cooked, no question. Not as easy as one might think. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I'm sure BGC-Iowa-edition has tons of perfect flat slices around here somewhere he's just not showing, for some reason.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    This thread has taken a turn that is actually hilarious.  I'm just getting this vision of @Focker texting @pgprescott  "Hey, check out the forum.  I'm trolling the brisket nerds again."

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX