Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just out of curiosity do any of you have a secret family recipe that you do not share?

Options

Comments

• PoppasGrill
    Options
    When my grandmother passed on she left her cookbook with my cousin. Every time I ask for it, even told her to come with me to the office store to make a copy, she just says .."it's just a bunch of clippings from the paper that she made comments in the margin...".
    She doesn't seem to understand that it is the comments/changes in the margin that made it Her recipes.
    It has been more than 15 years since she passed and my cousin hasn't , as far as I know, made any of Her recipes. Or she screwed them up and didn't want to admit it.
    Damn ,I need therapy.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Here's a little secret divulged - pretty much everything can be reverse engineered.  And much already has.

http://recipegoldmine.com/classyclones/classyclones.html

A large part of cooking exceptional food is the quality of the ingredients and the techniques in preparing it.  The quantity and identity of what's in a dish can be figured out in a lab.

Absolutely agree, good food starts with good food...
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'm all for sharing. It's unlikely to be perfectly duplicated because there are invariably things that you do when cooking something that you just know how to , and they don't always translate well into a recipe. If you're worried about someone making  it as good as yours , or better, well then they may have skillz that you don't. Deal with it.

Example - my sisters and I cook what is ostensibly the same recipe for chicken curry (from my mom). It turns out differently in each of our kitchens. My pops and sisters say that mine  comes closest to what my mom's tasted like. But then I spent a fair bit of time in the kitchen just watching her do stuff, so maybe I picked up techniques that she didn't write down. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Yes we did.  Asked SIL if ok to give out grandma's Buttermilk Pie recipe,  she didn't mind and we have cooked it at fests and posted it on the forum. 
    Would you mind reposting the Buttermilk Pie recipe? I've made a search for it, and can't seem to find it.
    I've been looking for a good one for years.

Thanks
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Of course, even my family doesn't know one key ingredient in my turkey meatloaf. 
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it's anus. I make a killer anus loaf myself.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I think there was someone here that had a pizza dough recipe he wouldn't share with his daughter.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • ChuckR
    ChuckR Posts: 248
    Options
    Let me clarify. I would always share it with family. I cannot believe people would intentionally not tell family. I have actually thought about trying to potentially market it as well. I have not decided yet. However I am not a professional chef or anything like that. If I do decide not to market it I would share it here. 
    Suwanee, GA
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    SGH
    I make a killer anus loaf myself. 
    In the style of Dixie 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Word is @mikee has a secret pizza that's too good for even his own daughter! Bahahahaaha!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SGH said:
    Of course, even my family doesn't know one key ingredient in my turkey meatloaf. 
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it's anus. I make a killer anus loaf myself.  
    Liquid smoke, MSG and Truffle oil...
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Word is @mikee has a secret pizza that's too good for even his own daughter! Bahahahaaha!
    Oh yeah, that's who it was. I couldn't remember...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    @blind99 no it isn't mayonnaise. It's....ooops you almost got me there!

My Grandmother not only didn't use recipes, she didn't use measuring cups or spoons other than her hands. In her mid 90's her daughters in law sat her down and had her cook a lot of stuff while writing down the ingredients and the measurements. Either they waited too late or she decided to take her recipe for orange coconut cake with her to her grave. The recipe she gave had a boxed orange cake mix in it and I know that is wrong. She kept the true recipe till she left at 101. She did give her recipe for molasses tea cakes accurately and she had already taught them to make biscuits and chicken and dumplings.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    SGH, since the main ingredient is ground turkey, it's entirely possible that there is turkey anus in there. I might bring one ready to put on the grill to Grimguy's in the fall and see if you can guess.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    SGH, since the main ingredient is ground turkey, it's entirely possible that there is turkey anus in there. I might bring one ready to put on the grill to Grimguy's in the fall and see if you can guess.
    I can detect anus as low as one part per million. If it's in there, I can sniff it out ;)
    On a serious note, what part of the gulf coast are you on?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Great question. I have a recipe for a (scratch baked) caramel cake that will knock your socks off. I have no real issue with sharing....however the knowledge is in the techniques....which are not necessarily documented in the recipe. My wife learned from my mom (now deceased...mom not wife).....and will pass it down to my daughter. They have made it a time or two...but my daughter doesn't quite have it perfected just yet. 

For those attending....I will see if I can convince the wif to make one and bring to Butt Blast II.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @northGAcock don't forget your wings. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I'll just bring the trophy for you to admire.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Legume said:
    My mom freezes fresh corn and then microwaves it months later in cling wrap.  I'll never tell how long.
    A classic sign of deep emotional insecurity.   I'd seek help immediately.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I'll just bring the trophy for you to admire.
    We'll set it next to my chili trophy...
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Not me!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Yes. Ramen noodles plus a good robust rub into the bag. Shake vigorously to evenly distribute throughout. Wack it against the countertop or whatever. Eat out of the bag. Your welcome. :smiley:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    My Beautiful Wife's Bourbon Slushie Recipe She Got at Church, used to be a secret, but not anymore. Sharing is caring.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    I wish! My mother is not a particularly good cook. In fact, there are a few recipes that will be better off lost to history. My grandmother could cook, mom seemed unwilling or unable to learn anything from her.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• PirateBill
    Options

Yes ... I guess Ill share ... Dependent on the microwave I always take my popcorn out with about 10 seconds left on the timer

Don't tell anyone this is a pirate family secret!    

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    A few Christmases ago, my sister took my Mom's recipe book, transcribed it in MS Word and printed copies for everyone in the family.  My Aunt's lemon bars recipe is not shared outside the family.  I honor that.
    Flint, Michigan
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Of course, even my family doesn't know one key ingredient in my turkey meatloaf. There is a copy of my recipes where they can find it after I check out.
    Mayonnaise?

Turkey
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    my recipes evolve from cook to cook =) sometimes they take a giant step backwards. who makes it the same way twice.  never understood the holding back of recipes and even worse, my grandmother would give out altered recipes, there must be 5 versions of her tomato soup cake floating around the family and none tasted like hers, sabotage ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    B
    YukonRon said:
    My Beautiful Wife's Bourbon Slushie Recipe She Got at Church, used to be a secret, but not anymore. Sharing is caring.

I have shared that recipe to about 10 ppl now.

Being in the food business, I have lots that I wont share.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    A few Christmases ago, my sister took my Mom's recipe book, transcribed it in MS Word and printed copies for everyone in the family.  My Aunt's lemon bars recipe is not shared outside the family.  I honor that.
    Why? What could it possibly harm? Is there a business involved? I just find it sort of weird and narcissistic.