Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Memorial Day Weekend Brisket Cook: Who's with me? Rules are simple....

Comments

• Thought this might make is easier to post, read and compare

Size Egg                                                                                               

Charcoal                                             Wood                                   

Store                                                  Grade                                  

Weight                                               Price                                     

Temp                                                                                                   

Rub                                                   Injected with                    

Trimming instructions                                                                   

Time you put it on                           Time you took it off       

Fat cap  Up          Down                                                                   

Foiled at what time                           Foiled at what temp      

FTC?                                                 How long FTC                            

Drip pan?                                          Added to drip pan          

Special notes                                                       

This should be turned into a spreadsheet with each step you want captured listed separately (including when to take photos). It can be passed around to everyone participating.

That way you'll be sure everyone will record the same information and we can compare apples-to-apples.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    What if you wrap with butcher paper?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Panathinaikos55
    Panathinaikos55 Posts: 46
    edited May 2016
    This should be turned into a spreadsheet with each step you want captured listed separately (including when to take photos). It can be passed around to everyone participating.

That way you'll be sure everyone will record the same information and we can compare apples-to-apples.
    Something like this... what else should be added?

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490

great work Panathin-

I am an analog guy stuck in a digital world, so I am low tech guy.  how does one take this magnificent spreadsheet and convert it into something we can put input on?  all I get is a little magnifying glass, even when double clicking (that's about the highest tech action I can exercise)

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I'll be smoking a SRF gold brisket for Saturday night of Memorial Day weekend. That said, I highly doubt I'll be in any condition to document it to the required specificity...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • westernbbq
    YukonRon said:
    When is the last day to notify of the participation? I might have to travel for business, small chance, but still a chance, and I won't know for absolute sure until Monday.

YukonRon- I think you're good.  Shane put some logical guidelines up above- i.e. 1) the cook has to take place sometime between Friday and Monday of Mem Day weekend and 2) post trout sheet and photos, and cook description by Wed the 1st and 3) SNR will randomly select someone who will get a brisket delivered to their door shortly thereafter (later that week).

This is pretty cool 

• erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    I will try to remember all this.  Sat of MD weekend, I have to cook two packers for a cattle branding then on Monday am runnung in the Booder Boulder 10k run with 60,000 of my friends an three family members.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited May 2016
    DMW said:
    I'll be smoking a SRF gold brisket for Saturday night of Memorial Day weekend. That said, I highly doubt I'll be in any condition to document it to the required specificity...
    Preliminary plans here are to do the SRF Gold that I have in the freezer to be ready for Sunday afternoon.

Saturday is going to be my first (well, second, but the first batch didn't work out so well) at homebrewing some pale ale.
    NOLA
  • erniemcclain
    I guess I do need to preview.  The words running and Bolder were spelled wrong.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    You can edit your post within an hour of posting by clicking the little gear icon in the top right of your post.  You may have to hover your cursor over it for it to appear.
    NOLA
  • erniemcclain
    Thanks buzd

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

• westernbbq
    Picked up one brisket tonite at costco, prime whole packer for $2.97 per lb.    $42.40 whole price.   Memorial Day weekend is a dry run for the following weekend' s  brisket cook that i need to do for some buddies.  

After mem day ill go get at least one and possibly two more briskets for the party. 
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    buzd504 said:
    You can edit your post within an hour of posting by clicking the little gear icon in the top right of your post.  You may have to hover your cursor over it for it to appear.
    So it is correct to assume that I will have to gather pics and log information during the process and then do one big post. Rather than piece by piece as I go along , since editing is only good for and hour ?
    More meat please !! :-)
  • westernbbq
    @XLentEGG:

Thats how i was planning to do it, ill take pictures along the way, make notes on what i did and when, start to finish and then post it all at once.   This will be a nice summary for anyone wanting to do a brisket cook in the future

Inam doing a whole packer but if anyone out there is doing a flat or a point, i would sure love to see how that turns out....
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    This is really cool, I may go for another try at brisket. I have cooked 2 since i bought my Egg 4 years ago. One was good and one wasn't. 
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Pondering.... Have an 18 pounder in the freezer that's begging to be smoked.  I'm afraid it may have to be be bridged up to fit in my large.   Recovering from hip replacement so I will have to see how the mobility improves the next several days.
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @Bentgrass - here's to a speedy recovery.  And you are right about having to bridge that sized brisket even post-trim but I'm sure you can get some assistance with the process.  BTW if you are truly planning on it then I would start the defrost (in a fridge) no later than sometime on Sunday or Monday AM as it will take quite a while to thaw.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Bentgrass
    Yes I have discovered that the defrost time on these big cuts is crazy.  Saw someone mention using small brick wrapped in foil to prop up the center so it can fit side to side.  Never even thought about fitting when I bought it- was too busy slobbering over it I guess !
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I use a foiled brick (small one) as you describe when the brisket is initially too long.  Eventually shrinkage takes over and I remove the brick. Good luck with the cook.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I still have no idea anyone is going to log that level of detail during a brisket cook on a holiday weekend...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Yee-haw!  I'm in and a shot at free SRF brisky!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    @dmw i'm filling my sheet out now.  otherwise it'll look something like: trimmed brisket, had a few beers, seasoned brisket, drank bourbon, egg something egg lump stall, brisket done hooray!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I'm suppose to be off next weekend. If that's the case I will participate. Because I haven't got to cook for quite sometime, I may do a clod right beside the brisket. My humble offering to the Thunder Gods if you will. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• great work Panathin-

I am an analog guy stuck in a digital world, so I am low tech guy.  how does one take this magnificent spreadsheet and convert it into something we can put input on?  all I get is a little magnifying glass, even when double clicking (that's about the highest tech action I can exercise)

Easiest way would either be to email it to anyone interested or toss it in Dropbox with a link for everyone to download.  Let me know.
  • westernbbq

great work Panathin-

Easiest way would either be to email it to anyone interested or toss it in Dropbox with a link for everyone to download.  Let me know.
    I think i figured it out....stay tuned
  • Bentgrass
    I'm in.  Still not sure what day I will make it but it sounds like fun.  I am always interested in seeing how everyone does their briskets.  Never enough beef on hand ! 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481

great work Panathin-

You could creat a Google form - all of the fields would populate a spreadsheet that one could share later. If I had the time I would volunteer to create one. Someone else might jump on that grenade though...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • EggSmokeVa
    EggSmokeVa Posts: 378
    I'm down... Doing a brisket anyway so why not... I'll be doing a pork butt and a brisket together tho for the holiday 
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party
    Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
    Professional Drinker & Home Cook
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I'm trying to order a Wagyu as we speak from the thread that Tex posted for this cook. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.