Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Memorial Day Weekend Brisket Cook: Who's with me? Rules are simple....

Options

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Sounds like several of us are going to be cooking briskets. The Thunder Gods should be pleased.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @SGH
    The multiple Brisket offerings of Sacrifice to the Thunder Gods will be immediately followed with multiple Bordeaux Sacrifices to Bacchus and Dionysus.
    Let the celebrations begin!
    It's a party.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    @YukonRon:   great idea.   I will make every attempt to submit my offerings to Barleyonysis and Hoppithereon with frosty, foamy sacrifices, before, durimg and after the cooks.   Probably saturday is when ill have mine done.  

• ETCrusader12
    Options
    2 month owner of the LBGE and completely amazed at the performance of it.  So far I have cooked Pizza, 2 Pork Butts, and Ribs and all came out perfect or at my family and I thought so.  Took longer to get the hang of the pizza, mostly transferring from the peel to the stone.  Solved that with parchment paper and it works to perfection.

Going to try the brisket for this weekend!  So excited.  Just came back from Houston, TX a couple of weeks ago and got to eat brisket at Killen's BBQ, what a great place for BBQ.  I am sure mine will not equal theirs but if even somewhat close I will be pleased.

Question, how long before cooking should the rub be applied before smoking?  Thanks for any input.
    Gate City, VA
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited May 2016
    Options

Question, how long before cooking should the rub be applied before smoking?  Thanks for any input.
    Up to (or even more than) 24 hours, but I'm usually putting mine on shortly before putting it in the egg.
    NOLA
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    I usually inject and hold for a day and then rub it right before it goes on and go naked to 190 :-)
    More meat please !! :-)
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    You can put it on the day before or what I like to do about and hour before going on the egg and put it back in the fridge so it gets wet looking.  That seems to help with the bark.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    Did a run to HEB last night and happened across Prime briskets on sale for $3.49 a lb - so I grabbed one for this weekend. Looks like I'm in as well!

Choice and select were on sale for $2.97 - so only $.50 more for prime
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Good score @HoustonEgger.    I mistakenly thought that brisket grade did not matter as cooking the h e double hockey sticks out of it would make any brisket taste magic, especially on the Big Green Egg.  Since discovering prime packers at CostCo, my brisket comfidence level has gone sky high as well as the enjoyment of the finished product i am serving it to.   Not that inferior grades are bad, just get what you can get in your area.   But when prime is available, it is worth it. $3.49 per lb is a great price for meat that tramsforms into something incredible.   

Cant wait to see your results this weekend!
  • bryan_h
    bryan_h Posts: 5
    Options
    Im in. Will be cooking my first brisket tomorrow night!
  • SGH
    Options
    Im going to cook the 33 pound monster on Monday. Havent had a day off in 28 days so Saturday and Sunday im taking the boat out to the island to relax a little. But come Monday, its on. The Thunder Gods will be looking down with envious eyes at that monster. Again, a very special thanks to brother Tex for the hook up.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    What kind of rig will be used to cook that monster @SGH?
    Austin, Tx
  • SGH
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    What kind of rig will be used to cook that monster @SGH?

I honestly haven't made up my mind which unit I will run it on yet. Still debating that very thing.

Status- Standing by.

• MrWilliams
    MrWilliams Posts: 112
    Options
    I'm in with my first brisket attempt!!  Picked up a 15 lb choice packer today.  Will fill out the spread sheet when i get going.

going to follow this "Brisket on the Big Green Egg: Franklin BBQ method" video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGsZkoa-lIE

will post details and results
    XL BGE & Mini - CT USA
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    I'm in now, actually scored on some small (6-7 lb.) choice packers on sale $2.99 (that's no bargain for you guys that get them at Costco), normally 4.99 at a local meat market and bbq place.  But here in CA finding anything but 16-18 lb. selects (wally world) is tough.  I can't find a prime here to save my a$$.

One of these days I'm going to have to sneak a SRF in, maybe for Father's Day

LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • westernbbq
    Options
    I will post the MD weekend's brisket cook all at once but i need to ask a question of the brisket eggsperts out there.

This is related to trimmimg the brisket as franklin recommends .  i never before trimmed flats, points or whole briskets.   This explains why i always had a pan full of grease at the end of the cook.  Well i trimmed my 15.8 lb whole prime costco packer this AM to get it prepped for dry brine in fridge and i  weighed it after the trim and i have 11 lbs left.   I did trim a little meat off to square it up and help it to fit in the large bge (although i will tent it) and got a lot of that hard fat along the outer edge off as well as some of the hard fat that is sort of in the interior.  It was sort of a wedge that was wide on the surface and narrowed as i cut inside a bit.

So my question is this: is 4 lbs of mainly trimmed fat too much to take off of a 15.8 lb packer?   There still is a thin layer on the underside which i left mostly intact.  
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,193
    Options
    Considering how many briskets will be cooked this weekend, I thought I'd post some pro tips on slicing a brisket.  ;)

https://youtu.be/DpjHCRF8rAo
  • HoosierBBQ
    HoosierBBQ Posts: 111
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Considering how many briskets will be cooked this weekend, I thought I'd post some pro tips on slicing a brisket.  ;)

just wow...
    Grilling year round in Orlando, FL on a large BGE & Santa Maria
  • EggSmokeVa
    EggSmokeVa Posts: 378
    Options
    Just picked up my packer... (Boy is it hard to find packers on Hampton roads!!) next time I'll order from SRD finally and just spend the money... Biggest one they had was 11.5 pounds so I won't be doing a ton of trimming..oh and a couple racks of baby backs and pork butt
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party
    Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
    Professional Drinker & Home Cook
  • Jellyworm
    Jellyworm Posts: 96
    Options
    I am having trouble finding a prime brisket as my Costco has been out for the last 10 days including today.  I sure hope Sam's has them, will check tonight.
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    Jellyworm said:
    I am having trouble finding a prime brisket as my Costco has been out for the last 10 days including today.  I sure hope Sam's has them, will check tonight.
    Try HEB - they have Prime Briskets for $3.49/lb
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options

This makes me mad every time I see it.  What a waste and the guy has no clue.

I have been able to get anywhere to buy a brisket.  We are having new carpet installed the last 2 days. Hopefully tomorrow.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • rockymountaineggster
    Options
    I'm in, thawing a 18 lb prime Costco as we speak.  This will be my second brisket attempt.  First one was OK but I have high hopes for this one.
    Parker, Colorado
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    Im going to cook the 33 pound monster on Monday. Havent had a day off in 28 days so Saturday and Sunday im taking the boat out to the island to relax a little. But come Monday, its on. The Thunder Gods will be looking down with envious eyes at that monster. Again, a very special thanks to brother Tex for the hook up.
    can't wait to see it. please let me know when it arrives. I want to know it got there in good shape

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

This makes me mad every time I see it.  What a waste and the guy has no clue.

I have been able to get anywhere to buy a brisket.  We are having new carpet installed the last 2 days. Hopefully tomorrow.
    I was looking for this the other day! Thanks

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Rules are simple. But four pages long

like most of my replies 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I am also tentatively planning to participate with a brisket smoke this weekend. This will be my first brisket so it could go either direction. Good luck to everyone, though I know most of the pros on here won't need it.
    Stillwater, MN
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    I ordered my (packer) brisket from Norman Bros. in Miami and picking up this afternoon.  My Costco only had flat cut.  Hubby is going to think I've lost my mind when he sees the size of this brisket...oh well....
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• MrWilliams
    MrWilliams Posts: 112
    Options
    Trimmed the brisket last night and cleaned the egg.  Realized how dull my knives are cutting the fat.  Two questions:
    1. Fat cap up or down (have seen both ways)?
    2. Include drip pan with some water/apple juice in it?

Thanks
    XL BGE & Mini - CT USA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options

This one is my go to...good luck guys!!   ;)

https://youtu.be/hGAP1DG_Vs8
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....