Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Memorial Day Weekend Brisket Cook: Who's with me? Rules are simple....

Options
With all the brisket talk here, I have an idea: Anyone doing a brisket over Memorial Day weekend should fully document with photos, the process.  This includes the purchase, where, cost, etc, the prep, dry rub, inject, trimming, etc, and the actual egging of it.  Time, temp, drip pan, guru or not, tip top temp, fat side up or down or any other equipment or techniques employed, whether a tfc is used, the type of charcoal and smoking  wood used, and of course the finished product.  
This isnt a contest as much as an exchange of ideas dedicated to one tasty cut of meat the BGE has enlightened so many of us to make.

A few have been doing this all along but on this thread it would be kinda cool to see how many eggers will make a brisket next weekend and post their entire process start to finish.  Hell i know a guy who owns a ranch and if i can get the beef on time ill go talk to the steer....  Nah ill just go to Costco.

Anyone needing to order has plenty of time to get a brisket before next weekend and prep it.    

Who's in?

Comments

• Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Great idea @westernbbq.

I'd love to see several timing logs.
    It would be really helpful for us brisket newbies to have as guidelines, makes the whole thing less intimidating, and would help prevent hungry humans waiting out the cook...

Ex: 

8:00pm Sunday pull X lb packer from fridge
    [...]
    All the steps in between
    [...]
    6:00pm Monday EAT ! 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I hope a few eggers participate because i want to learn something.   I will post results and process involved in my cook.  In fact, headed to costco tonight to pick a few briskets.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I hope a few eggers participate because i want to learn something.   I will post results and process involved in my cook.  In fact, headed to costco tonight to pick a few briskets.
    I am interested in participating, however, there may be a slight chance I will be out of town. Just a warning though, my legendary and very poor photography skills will be in play. I will try to document everything, If I can participate. This is an exceptional idea.
    Thank you for this post.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • westernbbq
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I am interested in participating, however, there may be a slight chance I will be out of town. Just a warning though, my legendary and very poor photography skills will be in play. I will try to document everything, If I can participate. This is an exceptional idea.
    Thank you for this post.
    YukonRon, thanks Brothaman but my photography skills will make you look like Ansel Adams.....hope youre around to do this.  Alternatively next time you make brisket id love to get some pointers on how you make the best hunk of meat

• Jellyworm
    Jellyworm Posts: 96
    Options
    I will do my best to participate as I plan on cooking a brisket that weekend.  I will have to learn how to post pictures as I have not done that one on this site before.
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    We're contemplating a brisket cook for that weekend, but I don't think our brisket will fit on the egg. It's a SRF, so does a smoker count? I know we could prop it up and let it shrink, but the smoker makes more sense for this one IMHO. Just askin.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I'm in

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• westernbbq
    Options
    Dredger- whichever method or equipment you use is great. It provides a comparison to egged ones.   
  • westernbbq
    Options
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Dredger said:
    We're contemplating a brisket cook for that weekend, but I don't think our brisket will fit on the egg. It's a SRF, so does a smoker count? I know we could prop it up and let it shrink, but the smoker makes more sense for this one IMHO. Just askin.
    it will fit on your egg if you want to do it that way. I've fit several of the large SRF briskets on there. you just kind of scrunch them up like an accordion if they are a little too long. They will shrink up quickly and you will be off an running. I've done 20 lb briskets this way and it worked like a champ.

I'm all for doing it on a real smoker though if you do have one. BGE is a mediocore brisket rig but can be serviceable if you do it right.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Thanks @westernbbq, will do. Thanks @The Cen-Tex-Smoker, we have a slight problem getting our egg to hold at lower temps, so will probably go the smoker route. Our smoker holds no matter what temp we set it at. We're hard pressed to get the egg below 300, much less for that consistently long of a time to do a brisket. Smoker it is. That being said, we have a much smaller grass-fed brisket that we will try on the egg, just not that weekend. Our only hope for left-overs will be the SRF one, lol.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I'll be working that weekend. :(

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

I have a strict rule: every "Day" needs a BBQ.  Memorial Day, Labor Day, Tuesday....

Great idea, and if I run a packer that weekend I'll be happy to post the details.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Just got a membership at Costco through work and been thinking about doing one of their "Prime" briskets. Looked like they had flats and whole packers. Memorial day sounds good to me.  I've done dozens of flats over the years but never attempted the flat + point.  
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    Options
    Thought this might make is easier to post, read and compare

Size Egg                                                                                               

Charcoal                                             Wood                                   

Store                                                  Grade                                  

Weight                                               Price                                     

Temp                                                                                                   

Rub                                                   Injected with                    

Trimming instructions                                                                   

Time you put it on                           Time you took it off       

Fat cap  Up          Down                                                                   

Foiled at what time                           Foiled at what temp      

FTC?                                                 How long FTC                            

Drip pan?                                          Added to drip pan          

Special notes                                                       

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options

Can us Canadian Eggers participate if we are a week early?  It's Victoria Day this weekend (the "unofficial start of summer" for most of us, aka May 2-4.  I'll be doing a point only but I would hope that would qualify since it's still a significant part of the brisket. 

I'm gonna probably post it either way, just want to be sure that it meets the criteria given that it's not technically a Memorial Day cook... :)

Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

@smoking_trout I love it!  I think you could start a "National Brisket Registry," with the aim of improving brisket cooks for all! 

Taking notes is a big help for me, especially since I'm not cooking them real often.

@chokeonsmoke go for it. I get most of my packers at Costco and have been happy with them.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @smokin_trout I do well to stay upright(read not passed out). No way I remember all that!
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    Printed the "trout sheet" will do my best to participate :-)
    More meat please !! :-)
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    will you be starting a new thread  , or will we just keep it going here ?
    More meat please !! :-)
  • westernbbq
    Options
    gmac said:

Can us Canadian Eggers participate if we are a week early?  It's Victoria Day this weekend (the "unofficial start of summer" for most of us, aka May 2-4.  I'll be doing a point only but I would hope that would qualify since it's still a significant part of the brisket. 

I'm gonna probably post it either way, just want to be sure that it meets the criteria given that it's not technically a Memorial Day cook... :)

Absolutely.   Looking forward to what succulentness you produce! 
  • westernbbq
    Options

XLentEGG said:
    will you be starting a new thread  , or will we just keep it going here ?
    I planned on posting my results here but if the crew wants a new thread it is perfectly fine with me

I will use the trout sheet.   Excellent summary!
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Hey everyone

Shane at Snake River Farms contacted me and offered to donate a brisket to one of the participants of the Memorial Day Brisket cook event.  He will take the names of all who participate and randomly select one who can get a brisket delivered to their door after the event.  Way cool.       Shane when you see this post something here as to how this should be handled, rules your group needs, etc.

many thanks!
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    I'm in!   Awesome idea!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • westernbbq
    Options
    This is beyond awesome.  Honestly, before I got on this website, I didn't know what SRF was but i sure do now....
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    When is the last day to notify of the participation? I might have to travel for business, small chance, but still a chance, and I won't know for absolute sure until Monday.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Hey everyone

Shane at Snake River Farms contacted me and offered to donate a brisket to one of the participants of the Memorial Day Brisket cook event.  He will take the names of all who participate and randomly select one who can get a brisket delivered to their door after the event.  Way cool.       Shane when you see this post something here as to how this should be handled, rules your group needs, etc.

many thanks!
    That's awesome!!  Thanks @SRFShane for getting involved!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Budaman5000
    Budaman5000 Posts: 87
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Oh this forum sounds interesting.... Never have cooked one and would love to know how....
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I'll do one! I'm dropping off my Shirley for a month to get a double axle put on so I'll be exercising the XL Memorial weekend anyhow.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum