Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Epilogue: Ozark Oak

Options

Comments

• bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    SGH said:
    hmmm pipelines, wish we could get some of these built in Canada
    I sure wish that Exxon would run one right through the middle of Canada. I would love to work up there. 
    you guys from the south have a hard time handling our winters, be careful what you wish for lol.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    @RRP
    Another Cat.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    @SGH Scottie - that's gotta be one heck of a massive yard / facility to lay out and them spool up miles and miles of cable.  I noticed one of the boats was labeled out of Port Fouchon - do you guys go down there too?

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• SGH
    edited May 2016
    Options
     I noticed one of the boats was labeled out of Port Fouchon - do you guys go down there too?
    Yes sir. We use every port from Florida to Texas. We use Mid Bay Port in Mobile, AL. the most.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I used to have a patient that was an old Navy Diver who did some assembly on lines in the Gulf.  He dislocated his shoulder coming out of a diving bell at the bottom, and had to taker a long ride back to the surface with it still dislocated.  Then had to get out of his suit, fail reduction on the ship, then one a helo back to shore.  Two weeks later, Katrina roared thru and we couldn't get auth for his surgery to repair his shoulder.  Great kid.  Awesome job he had, too!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• SGH
    Options
    @RRP
    Ron, above you asked about the protective clothing, here is the FBE being flocked on by hand.

That hot $hit goes everywhere. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @RRP
    And here is yet another Cat. 

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,920
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RRP
    Ron, above you asked about the protective clothing, here is the FBE being flocked on by hand.

looks like a couple Star Wars troopers battling up close and personal! They must have a rhythm as they seem to be 180º apart when spraying so they aren't spraying each other.
  • SGH
    Options
    @RRP
    Here is what it looks like when they are done.
    Completed Fusion Bonded Epoxy layer. 

Next comes the IMPP injection. It's basically building a Yeti over the FBE. 
    Injection mold on pipe injecting polypropylene.  

Injection mold coming off of pipe. 

Completed IMPP. Basically a red, 5 inch thick Yeti. 

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    edited May 2016
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RRP

Thanks, my Man! You have turned this thread in to something very educational to probably 99.9% of us here. It is very interesting! Have a great weekend and cook something!!! 

BTW if I'm not wrong then the dude in the third picture has a smoke in his mouth. Guess that means the product is no longer flammable at that stage...?
  • RRP
    Options
    OK - one MORE question...Why the "bung hole" pattern in that last picture? 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    The "Hammer" struck
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RRP

Applied by hand?  They're using machines!  (notice how I quoted about 3 megabytes of pictures).
    Options
    Wow! Thanks all!!
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RRP

Applied by hand?  They're using machines!  (notice how I quoted about 3 megabytes of pictures).

otter said:
    Wow! Thanks all!!
    You are welcome!!!
    Options
    RRP said:
    OK - one MORE question...Why the "bung hole" pattern in that last picture? 
    Ron, that is called a "belly button".  There is a hole in the mold where the IMPP is pumped in. You are seeing the pattern of the hole. The belly button is 6-8 inches long when the mold is first removed. It is quickly cut off flush with a large chop blade while it's still hot. 

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    And I thought that stuff was just teleported in.
    Options
    And I thought that stuff was just teleported in.
    We are actually working on being able to do that ;)

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    RRP said:
    Thanks, my Man! You have turned this thread in to something very educational to probably 99.9% of us here. It is very interesting! 
    My pleasure brother. I had hoped that folks would find some of it interesting. Working the hours that I am, I do not have time to cook so I thought I would post some pics from the oil industry. Some of the stuff that they can do is just mind blowing. And again, my apologies for taking your thread way off topic. 

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RRP

That is great
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RRP

I like your pictures.
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RRP

That round thing in the last picture is really disturbing.  What if it blows out?  Will the gulf be flooded with oil?
    Options
    @SGH ... the flocking guns look like they are electrostatic ... that would explain why two folks could work on opposite sides without over-spraying each other.  Neat info ... thanks.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,365
    Options
    This thread has been as good as an episode of my favorite TV show - "How It's Made".
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    This thread has been as good as an episode of my favorite TV show - "How It's Made".
    I agree - I'm sure I'm older than you, but years ago there was a similar program called Industry On Parade. The major employer in my home town in MO was featured in an episode and that was a "BIG THING". LOL
  • SGH
    Options
    When time allows, I have a few more pics that will explain the belly button you asked about.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Ron, here is the injection port in the back of the mold that leaves the belly button. 

Here is the belly button after being cut off. 

Status- Standing by.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,171
    Options
    SGH said:
    Here is the belly button after being cut off. 

It looks flaccid.  How does it get in the hole?
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    That's what she said.